When is it time to take a risk?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Ladies, I am bored at work.

I am so bored I'm depressed about it.

However, my job is VERY stable. It's a quasi-governmental job with retirement benefits.

I am underpaid and underutilized. I make decent money, I guess, but in the marketplace I'm worth more. I've even had recruiters tell me I'm underpaid.

One of the things that finally made me start looking for another job was that I pushed to have an analyst hired for my department. After much nagging, they agreed to hire someone but gave this person to someone else in a different department to supervise. Even better? That supervisor isn't even hired yet.

I have supervised others in the past and it's not like they think I would be a lousy supervisor, because I manage a highly political project. This made me really angry and made it apparent they really don't think of me in terms of advancement.

Enter a mid-lifecycle startup, who I am talking to soon.

Now I know that there's no commitment here yet/if -- but I left one stable job for a startup before and it was a disaster. That one, though, was early-stage. This is supposedly bringing in tens of millions in 'revenue'. But who knows because they're not public.

I own a home now, I can't afford to lose my job. But my brain is eating itself with boredom, and these startups are way more exciting.

Anyone have any thoughts on the balance of risk?

2. I'm going through the same thing I'm currently on maternity leave and go back to work in April after 7 months off work with our first baby. I felt like this before I went on maternity leave though too that I'm getting bored. Been doing same job for 7 years now the only thing that scares me to leave is I'm on a pretty good wage and have good conditions and it's very stable . It's a huge risk to leave especially since me and hubby want to buy our own home this year so I'm thinking I will have to stick it out :sad: I hope things work out for you I guess at the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy but you also have to do what is best for your situation.

3. This is true. Right now I'm faced with the choice of possibly a permanent job with a stable startup or temp position with a large well known insurance company. The former would help my career a lot and health benefits.:biggrin: The latter is same ol same ol. The only thing going for them is that everyone has heard of them. The startup is building their offices here and supposed to go public soon. But honestly I'm more attracted to their potential.

My situation is different from both of you ladies though. Absolutely zip in my life is stable. I try to remain calm and think positive when I feel like shyt will hit the fan any second. Reading the secret helps.

4. You sorta remind me of my beau. He hates his job and is bored with his life. But he is really bummed about his house that his brother just lost (long story). I seem to be the only bright point in his day. LOL if he only knew about my roller coaster existence.

I actually have an ex who interviews with other companies just to excite himself. He also owns a house and has kids and is bored with his company that the has been with for about 10 years. LOL he gets as far as interviewing with them and as soon as they make him an offer, he goes "basta!" and goes back to his normal everyday routine.

When I used to have a stable perm position 2+ yrs ago, things were never stable. I worked for a very prominent company that was known worldwide but their financials were horrid. Constant layoffs and after giving them 11 years of my life, they dropped the ax on me. Right after my divorce and right after we bought the house. Luckily my career is nothing but constant projects so I was somehow wired to deal with everything gone haywire.

I cant tell you what to do. You have to decide that for yourself. Look at me. I'm in the infancy stage of a LDR with an amazing fellow. We both know that if this works out, one of us will have to move and neither of us knows who that will be. He knows I love my city and I can't picture him doing his career here. He has three jobs. Well maybe one of the three but still... However that's the cart before the horse and we both agreed to worry about it then. For now, just enjoy the ride.

So to answer your question, my answer has always been no. To me, it's not about risk. It's about survival..

5. It doesn't look like you can afford to take a risk. Are there no stimulating jobs in stable companies?

I've worked in 3 (and a half) startups. One went public and is still around, one blew up, one is in the process of blowing up. The half, I joined just as it was announced it was getting bought by a big stable company. I never expect startups to succeed under (but work hard to help make it successful) because they usually don't.

6. If you can't afford to move now then perhaps you can do so in another year or so? In the meanwhile, it can be aggravating to know that one is underpaid.

I have worked in 2 startups and it requires so much more discipline so this time when I switched jobs I reminded myself of the consequences (I have a toddler). As for compensation, can you get another job and then talk to your current manager about matching the pay or atleast get the pay to a more competitive level?

7. How much do you trust your instincts? (This is a complex question - I have mostly felt that I landed in the right place at the right time. ;))

In my experience, if I am working for someone else, I have to play by their rules. If I am working for myself, I can make my own rules.

I took the risk when I had the money saved up and when I felt I had no choice but to pursue my dream. But I am conservative about taking risks. Once I had satisfied the dream, I was again ready to play by someone else's rules.

If you are bored, can you use your extra energy to plan your next moves? Can you make a plan for if the startup you are considering doesn't work out? I would line up several alternatives (not jobs necessarily - ways of making a living), so that you don't panic if one or two of them doesn't work out. Maybe even come up with ten alternatives - not just one - so that you can feel positive and a little secure that something satisfactory will work out.

You can do things like check the job sites, network with recruiters, attend networking functions and collect contacts, promote your side business (if you have one). You probably are already doing this. Just get a comfort level with all the resources and opportunities that may be available to you, so that you can feel more secure and confident about any move you make.