When is it time to retire a bag?

NagaJolokia

Living Hard
Nov 25, 2008
Do you use a bag until you're tired of it?
Do you use it until you want another one and one of your bags has to go for more room and/or money?
Do you use it until it wears out? If so, what do you consider to worn out, i.e. just worn corners and bottom and cracking in handles or until it looks like it's been on a long and treacherous journey with Indiana Jones?
All three above?

Depends on my level of love for the bag. I have a beat up Prada that I won't let go of yet and a Gucci that I bought when I was 14 years old! Other bags I end up selling after a season of a couple of wears. Usually I let go of a bag after a year if 1) I don't love it and 2) I'm not wearing it. Then again sometimes I dress a little edgy so a bag that looks a little used isn't a big deal. After all the Balenciaga classic/city/etc. bags are suposed to look vintage when you buy them!

This is difficult!
For me, it really depends. I have a leather prada saddle bag that I am convinced now has a "vintage" look that looks better than when I bought it over 10 years ago. Some people would say what I call "a vintage" look is really water damage, etc.

I have some gucci bags that were made from fabric, and the fabric is wearing off....those bags get sold on ebay.

Also, I had a bag that was going to go to the salvation army because it was in such bad condition, but I decided to test some cleaning products on it, and ended up coming out better than new! It was such a nice surprise!

I think it depends on the bag. Many things depend on a bags retirement; love for the bag, practicallity, whether or not it's still in style, sentimental reasons, how often you use it, & whether or not it's charming with the distressed look or not.

I, myself, retire a bag, if I like it, until it "looks like it's been on a long, treacherous journey with Indiana Jones," but I have never gotten even close to this point, and even so, I may still use it even then. I'd just be more careful as to where I use it. I don't think I'll ever sell a bag that I like unless I get another one so much like it but better, which I've never done. I also never go by fashion seasons or what's classic, so that's out of the picture.

I used to, but I found myself getting too bored with the bag(s) I bought. So, now, I usually buy one statement bag (or a bag I reallllllllly want) and one or two I like a lot. So, I can rotate them.
Do you use it until you want another one and one of your bags has to go for more room and/or money?
As I said, I try to get about three bags at about the same time. I usually use one bag for a week to a month then switch to to the second for a while than the third. No, I've never sold a bag I've bought myself. I only got rid of one bag someone give, because I was never keen on the brand and style and didn't enjoy the quality. Usually, I'll buy one bag full price and try to find the others on sale or on ebay from a good reseller. So, that way, it's more like I paid for 1 or 2 bags instead of the 2 or 3 I actually bought.
Do you use it until it wears out? If so, what do you consider to worn out, i.e. just worn corners and bottom and cracking in handles or until it looks like it's been on a long and treacherous journey with Indiana Jones?
All three above?

Since I rotate and clean my bags often, even the preowned ones, my bags tend to look good. This isn't really an issue for me. To me worn out is just a state where you can tell it's been loved to death. Like the leather is extremely faded or scracthed a lot. Something major. However, some minor wear or nicks can give character, but past a certain point is too much. Never been here yet, but I would retire or get rid of a bag if it were so worn beyond repair that I couldn't take it back to the store and get it reconditioned, or whatever they they call it.

All three above?

I usually retire a bag when it's noticeably worn out. I've tried bringing my bags in to Hangers for dry cleaning and it helps with stains and marks which extends the lifespan another few years.

I agree with LeeMiller. I have some bags that I just won't let go even if the straps are so dark and dirty, not cleaning tool is sufficient enough. Otherwise, if I get too tired of it... I'd give them away or more often than not, keep it until I find it interesting again. :smile: Styles do come back, right?

Yup! I use it until I decide I will never use it again because I have either lost interest in it or have new bags that I want to use in its place. Either way, whenever I know that I will not use a bag again, it gets donated or sold.

I use my bags until I see something else that I want more. If the bag that is no longer going to be used is worth a decent penny, then I will sell it online. If it is a simple bag from Express or somewhere, I will usually keep it around as a beat around bag or donate it.

I always think that I will use bags until they wear out but that is rarely the case. There have been many occassions in the past where I have used bags until the corners are very worn, the color is changed because it is dirty, the handle is worn etc. These are bags that I have grown used to over time and just continued to use without thinking about buying a new one. Usually by the time I realize that it is severely worn it is way too late. I usually try to revive it by washing it if its fabric. The wash will freshen up the color for a little bit until it really has to go to the grave.

All three above?

I have not get tired of any of my bags because I rotate them very regularly. I take a very good care of them all. I clean them regularly and store in dust bag. I also stuff the bag so it stays in the shape. They look like new.

With all my bags, I must the Gucci Abbey one most often of all so it has more wear on the bottom corners.

I have not sell any of bags in my collection. I do consider to sell my two least favorite but it has the most sentimental value. I just find ways to buy new bag. It's a good ideat sell those two to fund for another bag, but I could not get myself to do it yet.

I don't think I have ever worn a bag til it looks like it has been used a bunch. I guess I never fancied any of them that much.

If I really liked it I would use it until it was falling apart or looking nasty.

Or I would sell it if I got tired of it, in god condition of course.