When good Chanel stamps go bad.. My stamps went silver.

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Hi

For the sake of history, I decided to document the following photos. These are all from authentic Chanel bags which were made in Italy over various years. I have one MADE IN FRANCE one, but right now I can't put my hands on it. Everyone of these bags has perfect authenticity markings.

The first is from a handbag which is a series 1 navy black chain vintage bag. These have turned entirely silver with a faint hint of gold at the edge of one or two of the letters.

The second is from a tote which is a series 0 6 digit serial number bag. It too has turned silver and you can see the gold color bleeding out.

More to follow.

Has anyone else got any examples of these?

Silvered Evening Bag 2.jpg

Silvered Evening Bag 1.jpg

Silvered Tote 1.jpgSilvered Tote 2.jpg

These two are from belt bags. The first is a lampo marking zip and the second, the black one has no marking on the zip so it is likely to be early to mid 1990's.
So far, history tells us that stamps must always match the hardware. The first time I found one of these, I thought it was either a fake or a freak. But now, having found 4 Made in Italy marking vintage bags, it seems too much of a co-incidence. So, from here, I think it is possible to say that a bag with silvered stamping, with otherwise correct authenticity markings for the era, is likely to be authentic. Particularly late 80's and early 90's Italian made Chanels.

Would be interested to hear other views from Chanel Collectors. I have had some discussion with Chanel authenticators on this, but didn't get time to photograph well until now.

Silvered Belt Bag1.jpg

Silvered Belt Bag 2.jpgSilvered Belt Bag 4.jpg

Silvered Belt Bag 3.jpg

With age and wear, some gold stamps do tend to fade and appear a silver color. I've even seen them completely wear away.

Thanks Cyndee. I have seen gold stamps wear off too and almost vanish with just a trace of gold left behind. Have you seen any have the gold strip away as these have? You have had quite a Chanel vintage collection from what I can see.

I don't know if it climatic or whether it is just bad paint!! That's why I would like a global perspective on it.;)

Yes, I've seen quite a number of bags with formerly gold stamps that now appear quite silver. The gold has worn away with use and leaves the stamp very 'silver' looking.

Thanks, Cindee, ssc0619, gacats and **Chanel**. :biggrin:

Anyone else got some photos to share. My four are all the oval stamp type bags. Anyone seen any others? :wondering