When Does An "It Bag," like the Chanel Boy, Start to Lose Its Appeal?

Emily1830

O.G.
Jul 26, 2013
I noticed recently that not many of the attendees at the Fashion Shows wore a Boy bag, whereas you saw them constantly during the last Fashion Week. Also, when I was walking on 32nd Street in NYC, I saw at least five Chanel boys in less than a block. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between fewer celebs/ fashion industry people wearing the bag and seeing regular people wearing the bag in increasing numbers. Do you think the Boy has reached its saturation limit? Do you think people will start tiring of it? When does an "it bag," like the Boy, start to lose its appeal?

I don't think the Boy bag will loose its appeal so long as Chanel comes up with new designs, colours etc. At first i was not a big fan of the Boy Bag but after watching a couple reviews and unboxings, i now want one more my collection. I think the boy bag is getting more and more popular which is why you are seeing more people wearing them. I also think alot of people have the same LV canvass bags, but they are still popular. Why not Chanel?

Never tired! It's the bag that gives Chanel a Rocker chic Edge.

So true, my SA told me that they never expected the boy to be this big, they though it was gonna go on for a couple of seasons until the next thing, but it turned out to be a huge success, great in any colour, it looks so fresh and edgy while maintaining the chanel classic appeal

I personally love it more than the reissue and the flap , I have a clutch and the new medium in grey with GHW, I want to get a black one too, before they increase their prices but can't decide between GHW or RHW

I agree, as long as there are new colors, fabrications and variations, it'll stay current. I personally think a classic flap suits me more but as I see it more and more it's growing on me. I still don't own a boy but I have a boy woc. This may be me dipping my toes into the world of the boy. If that says anything, maybe other people are also getting more enamored with it and that's why we are seeing it more.

Interesting thread. I bought the YSL Muse when It came out and the Fendi Spy. Most recently, I bought the Celine luggage. All of those look super dated now. I own several Bottega Venetas who I still love and still use. Still in love with Chanel and I don't see myself getting tired of the boy. I have the medium Mademoiselle bag, that I still wear. So...I don't think Chanel or Bottega has what it takes to be a fad.

Interesting thread. I bought the YSL Muse when It came out and the Fendi Spy. Most recently, I bought the Celine luggage. All of those look super dated now. I own several Bottega Venetas who I still love and still use. Still in love with Chanel and I don't see myself getting tired of the boy. I have the medium Mademoiselle bag, that I still wear. So...I don't think Chanel or Bottega has what it takes to be a fad.

Yes I hear you!! When the Muse came out I thought for sure it would be a longtime classic like the Lady Dior and classic flap. But then things changed and now it does look dated. As for Chanel, I hear you but remember the Cambon bags?

For the price of a boy I'd really like it to have staying power, but alas we can't foretell the future. I can only go by what I see right now. I must say I am content with what I have in my Chanel collection right now because they are all classics. I am secretly hoping though that the boy sticks around...

Surely hope so. I bought 1 boy. It's the chevron, which is a bit "more unique". I surely hope it won't look dated in a few years. Yes, I hate the Cambon. There are fakes of that bag everywhere. I doubt that the boy will ever get to that.

This is exactly why I haven't bought a boy. I love the style and came very close to buying a large black lamb last year, but I'm not willing to spend $5k on a bag unless I KNOW it'll be wearable in five years.

IMO when any bag is oversaturated in the market, becomes heavily knocked off and begins to look dated it loses it's appeal.

So has the classic flap lost its appeal? Signs point to "no".

I personally don't think the Boy is losing/has lost its appeal due to anything except the reason a lot of "new" items lose their appeals. New releases can go two ways: Classic or Dated. Most go dated, and very few go classic. I feel the Boy is moving along the dated lines.

Bags we love for the long term have certain traits: They are comfortable, they can wear easily with many outfits, we are able to carry them regularly, etc. While the boy is comfortable, it doesn't always sit perfectly on the hip (too thick), and the bigger versions have too huge a flap when opening. The boy has released in so many leathers and colors, but perhaps it was too much too soon.

These same traits can apply to many bags, but only few make it to the classic stage. I doubt the Boy will be that one.

So has the classic flap lost its appeal? Signs point to "no".

I personally don't think the Boy is losing/has lost its appeal due to anything except the reason a lot of "new" items lose their appeals. New releases can go two ways: Classic or Dated. Most go dated, and very few go classic. I feel the Boy is moving along the dated lines.

Bags we love for the long term have certain traits: They are comfortable, they can wear easily with many outfits, we are able to carry them regularly, etc. While the boy is comfortable, it doesn't always sit perfectly on the hip (too thick), and the bigger versions have too huge a flap when opening. The boy has released in so many leathers and colors, but perhaps it was too much too soon.

These same traits can apply to many bags, but only few make it to the classic stage. I doubt the Boy will be that one.

I agree. And as for the rocker chic characteristic, to me such a description is for the trendy category, for the younger audience, but not classic. Another characteristic for classic is that the style will suit a broader age group.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app