When Does An "It Bag," like the Chanel Boy, Start to Lose Its Appeal?

That's what I was afraid of. I'm seeing many knockoff versions of the Boy lately and it's making me wary about purchasing one, although I do think it's a gorgeous bag.

Why does it matter if people are making knockoffs? If you like it you should get it. If a bag was not popular enough that even counterfeiters didn't try to make a buck from it, would you still want it?

Wow I find all of these responses really interesting. I've resisted "it" bags in the past (Paddington, Spy, Muse, Luggage) and am glad that I did so even though at the time I was seriously lusting over them. I instead bought designer but not so popular designs that were still classic looking.

But the boy is still luring me in. Just not so sure it will be Chanel's modern classic. I really wish it was lined in leather to justify the classics price. Psychologically because of that I feel as though it's a "seasonal" bag. Is that weird?

All classics started as not so classics, its the demand and the ability to look good with time that promotes it to a classic status.

The reason I think bags like fendi and saint laurent lose their appeal quick and look dated, is that they always come up with a new bag every year or so, they are not focused on creating classics nor is it their aim.

Of course The flap will remain Chanel's number one classic bag,and safe choice if you want to invest in something that will last a really long time, but the boy can easily adapt and take many classical chanel aspects like tweed ,which is why it appeals to a majority of styles ,

In my purely personal opinion, I feel the boy bags have made the classic flaps slightly boring. The various colours, hardware and styles of the boy bags make each one unique while still maintaining the classic chanel vibe and makes it less likely that you bump into someone carrying the exact same bag.☺

I feel this way too! I keep trying to talk myself into getting a classic with the money I save up instead of getting the boy, although the boy is really what I want and every time I look at classics I feel like they're a *little* boring now! I don't like that I even think or say that though.

Has everyone decided that the Celine luggage is already past its prime? I still use and love mine and feel as if through it I've been able to be a part of fashion history.

Then again, I still use my beautiful red YSL roady completely without shame! :biggrin:

I find it very interesting that almost every month I see a thread asking this exact same question yet I don't see how boys are going away soon.

It may fade eventually but Chanel gets to find another hit before then. Other than Boy, they don't have anything similar that they can play around in so many different ways. They can't do what they have done to boys to classic or 2.55 flaps.

Besides another cruise price increase is coming after this past May, look at how fast Chanel black boys in medium size flying off the shelf and requests from ISO thread and PMs I got from fellow TPFers asking for help to track down one I don't really see the trend fading away!

In my purely personal opinion, I feel the boy bags have made the classic flaps slightly boring. The various colours, hardware and styles of the boy bags make each one unique while still maintaining the classic chanel vibe and makes it less likely that you bump into someone carrying the exact same bag.☺

I am not sure if Celine luggage totes are out. I still see a lot of them on the street but they are not as hard to find as they used to be. I feel it's more due to the fact Celine expanded # of stores and bags made than ppl not wanting as much.

And at least you don't see ppl asking if luggage totes is out comparing to the # of threads asking the same question about boys. There are still a lot of luggage tote reveal threads in Celine forum.

I feel this way too! I keep trying to talk myself into getting a classic with the money I save up instead of getting the boy, although the boy is really what I want and every time I look at classics I feel like they're a *little* boring now! I don't like that I even think or say that though.

Has everyone decided that the Celine luggage is already past its prime? I still use and love mine and feel as if through it I've been able to be a part of fashion history.

Then again, I still use my beautiful red YSL roady completely without shame! :biggrin:

I love the design of the boy bag that's why I bought one, not because it is trendy or anything, simply because I love it.
I understand the 2.55 and cf are classic, but I just enjoy the design of the boy bag more, more edgy yet still very Chanel.

I love the design of the boy bag that's why I bought one, not because it is trendy or anything, simply because I love it.
I understand the 2.55 and cf are classic, but I just enjoy the design of the boy bag more, more edgy yet still very Chanel.

I know what you mean. I love the boy too because it fits my aesthetic. I loved it from the first time I saw it: the aged hardware, opening clasp, everything.

I still love the classics too. For me I see a place for both: have a classic and have a boy. One feels timeless in a historical sense the other is more rock and roll.

I know what you mean. I love the boy too because it fits my aesthetic. I loved it from the first time I saw it: the aged hardware, opening clasp, everything.

I still love the classics too. For me I see a place for both: have a classic and have a boy. One feels timeless in a historical sense the other is more rock and roll.

Agreed!

I love the boy for its classic with a modern edge look and love the classics for its timeless beauty.

One thought I have as I am reading through this thread is whether Chanel's continual price increase on the boy is their way of elevating boy to classic level. The price is definitely beyond the seasonal pieces now and every season they bring more colors/patterns/materials. The boy is still going strong and definitely has staying power.

I wouldn't say it's losing any appeal based on the price increases that the boy bag has been having. Le Boy is almost as much as a classic flap (and it's not even leather lined); therefore, demand must still be high if Chanel can justify to price it comparable to the classic flaps. I've also noticed that this upcoming seasonal Le Boy, some, are priced higher than the classic 227 and maxi. I definitely don't see it phasing out any time soon, but I do think it is not worth the price tag since it's not a fully leather lined bag (wish it was though for that price range).

I personally prefer the boy to a classic flap. Which is why I have 2 boys and 0 flaps. I don't think the boys are going anywhere, anytime soon. I think they are beautiful and just that little bit different to make them desirable for quite a while.

so has the classic flap lost its appeal? Signs point to "no".

I personally don't think the boy is losing/has lost its appeal due to anything except the reason a lot of "new" items lose their appeals. New releases can go two ways: Classic or dated. Most go dated, and very few go classic. I feel the boy is moving along the dated lines.

Bags we love for the long term have certain traits: They are comfortable, they can wear easily with many outfits, we are able to carry them regularly, etc. While the boy is comfortable, it doesn't always sit perfectly on the hip (too thick), and the bigger versions have too huge a flap when opening. The boy has released in so many leathers and colors, but perhaps it was too much too soon.

These same traits can apply to many bags, but only few make it to the classic stage. I doubt the boy will be that one.
+1

when considering what to get i always ask myself how much i personally like it, less if it will be liked by others or even become a classic. When i bought a burberry trench 20 years ago it was only about a third of the price it is now - i still had to save up for it, i was still at college. I bought the one i liked best, not thinking, which sleeve is more classic, which color or which length. Same with my first chanel. It was a classic flap, but only because i liked it better than the boy. My second was a shopping tote, which isn't so much a classic than a practical bag. The question should be: Will you be wearing it for a long time? Will it become one of your classics and something you could imagine having and using for a very long time - and does it serve your purposes? Imo all those designer classics really refer to one item: Chanel: Classic flap, hermes: Birkin, burberry: Trench tiffany: Engagement ring. (just my 2 cents.)

this!!