When Does a Handbag turn Vintage?

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to ICON card members.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 thread.

confetti

confetti
Nov 8, 2007
PA
I have vintage corde, lucite and alumesh bags from my granny that were purchased in the '40's and '50's. Bags 100 years old are antiques.

dierregi

Maniaca delle borse
Jan 16, 2008
Brussels and Genova
i think it just depends on the fad. and like big clutch are in again who would of thought
-------------------------------------------------------
When were big clutches "in"? I mean in which period of time? I honestly cannot remember... even looking at old fashion pictures (starting from the 30's).

As far as vintage is concerned, sometimes I think it is just a fancy name for "old" :roflmfao:

Most "vintage" bags I see in second-hand shops have big problems: fabric torn, zippers ruined, clasps not working, missing buckles, leather cracked, etc.... Even my mother's handbags (despite accurate maintenance) are not really usable....

heather123

Nov 13, 2006
IRELAND
-------------------------------------------------------
When were big clutches "in"? I mean in which period of time? I honestly cannot remember... even looking at old fashion pictures (starting from the 30's).

As far as vintage is concerned, sometimes I think it is just a fancy name for "old" :roflmfao:

Most "vintage" bags I see in second-hand shops have big problems: fabric torn, zippers ruined, clasps not working, missing buckles, leather cracked, etc.... Even my mother's handbags (despite accurate maintenance) are not really usable....
^^^ I'd definitely go with that!

Stormy Heart

HellBent for Leather
O.G.
Apr 10, 2008
Vintage means 30+ years, or one generation.
After another 70 yrs it's antique.
Fashion from the 1970s is seen in today's huge slouch/hobo/messenger bags and all cross-body styles. The fringe we saw a lot of was straight out of Hippiedom. We'll probable see heavy hardware next when we have have grandkids ; they'll think granny was cool.
Clutches have always been an evening bag favorite. I remember seeing pictures of Jackie O wearing them with her Chanel suits for daywear.
** Anything over 50 yrs old is considered a 'Historical Monument' in California** so there you have a 3rd option !