When do you know it's time to downsize?

Jordyaddict

Feb 3, 2014
Hi All
So I have been happy with my collection of LV and Mulberrys and have adquires some beauties along the way (imo :heart:) . However lately I feel that I may have too many sitting around waiting for there turn to be used.
In my work I use my black Mulberry Bayswater only. All others are when im off work or on holiday ( I have 13 weeks off a year) or nights out.
I'm now thinking if I should sell some of the bags and buy say something alittle more expensive with he combined money from the re sells to have a collection that is used more. It a lot smaller.

Has anyone else ever got to this point? If you have have you been pleased in the end for doing this or have you regretted it? :confused1:

Thank you all for your help :flowers:

Reactions: Pmrbfay
Hi All
So I have been happy with my collection of LV and Mulberrys and have adquires some beauties along the way (imo :heart:) . However lately I feel that I may have too many sitting around waiting for there turn to be used.
In my work I use my black Mulberry Bayswater only. All others are when im off work or on holiday ( I have 13 weeks off a year) or nights out.
I'm now thinking if I should sell some of the bags and buy say something alittle more expensive with he combined money from the re sells to have a collection that is used more. It a lot smaller.

Has anyone else ever got to this point? If you have have you been pleased in the end for doing this or have you regretted it? :confused1:

Thank you all for your help :flowers:
If you feel that there are too many bags sitting around unloved, whether it's because they no longer serve a purpose/need or because you have too many options, then that's a good indication that it's time to downsize. I would personally sit down and sort through the collection, setting aside the undisputed favourites and "necessity" bags (those that have a specific function such as for travelling) from those that don't get used very much, if at all. For the ones that don't get used try wearing them once or twice to determine why you don't use them - if they still make you smile or have sentimental reason then keep them, but if not then sleep on the decision for a while before deciding to proceed with selling. A lot of remorse will be avoided if you're patient and thoughtful.

After having LV for over 35 years and many other beautiful designer bags in my collection I have gotten rid of about 3/4 of all my bags. I have traded back and forth with my sister-it really is funny how we even trade and end up with the original bags we traded for a few years later. I gave my SIL a few bags and just gave her my Neverfull MM last week and to see the joy it brings her makes it worth it. I realized that I just had too much stuff and wanted to simplify my life.

RIght now I have 3 LV's. My Azur Noe, Watercolor Papllion and small green denim pleaty. THey all serve a function in my life so I think I will keep them for many years. I have 4 Proenza Schouler bags in different sizes and beautiful colors and might sell three since my daughter does not want any of them. And I have 3 Balenciaga bags and will probably sell all three too. While I really love my beautiful colors leather bags I don't need so many if them.

I have no need to get any new bags at this time in my life. I also had some Chanel bags and sold or traded them with my sister. I think at one point I looked at bags with feeling I had to have this or that and it kind of became an addiction to get the next must have bag I wanted from my list but now they are just another materialistic item and I realize a bag is not going to change my life. I also do not feel I need to keep any possession for sentimental reasons. So I say if you are not using your collection get rid of what you don't need and buy what you want.

I am saving up for my first empreinte noir bag and wallet. I am considering selling my Gucci Disco and maybe one LV to help fund the purchase. I also want to have a smaller collection of bags I love. I have thought of selling my 2 Neverfull mm's for the Iena mm so I can have a Tote with a zip. The only thing holding me back is I'm afraid I will miss my Neverfulls. I may only sell one, but I can't decide.

It's definitely time to downsize when you have run out of storage room. Things falling off the shelves or being jammed or squeezed in to fit. I have learned to let things go that are no longer serving a purpose and not just handbags. Selling 2 or 3 items to buy something new not only frees up a little space but also feeds my need for something new without really coming out of pocket. It's a win-win. LV always sells, sometimes for more than the original retail price from years ago if it's in good condition. Once a year, I clean out and sort-then sell, sell, sell.

I have 13 bags and just ordered another ! This is what got me thinking .

Your all got valid points . Maybe I need to put the bags into groups of ones I have nothing similar too and ones I go for all the time and others that I use less.

When I became obsessed with LV I sold a bunch of my cheaper bags because I wasn't using them anymore. I gave my sister some of my MKs. I have kept a few that I don't use very often but still like a lot, predominantly some bright colored Kate Spades and 1 coach and 1 tory burch.

I have 7 LVs. I had 8 but I sold my 35 DE speedy bc it was too large and I didn't love it like my other LVs.

I would sell a few and see how you feel before selling them all off but i also wouldn't keep them if youre not using them.

Reactions: MarLoLV
I am saving up for my first empreinte noir bag and wallet. I am considering selling my Gucci Disco and maybe one LV to help fund the purchase. I also want to have a smaller collection of bags I love. I have thought of selling my 2 Neverfull mm's for the Iena mm so I can have a Tote with a zip. The only thing holding me back is I'm afraid I will miss my Neverfulls. I may only sell one, but I can't decide.
I know just how you feel... I had three, ended up selling my NF in DE and DA because I didn't use them enough but I couldn't bring myself to sell my NF in Mono. The NF is such a classy bag with beautiful lines. Good luck deciding.

There are many factors to consider but in general, if the bag goes unused for 6 months. Then I decide to use it for a few days to see how it feels. If I'm not 100% in love, I consider selling it. I get s couple consignment quotes and then I think for a few days. If I think about what I can use that money for and it makes me more excited than using the bag in question, I decide to sell. I'm currently downsizing my collection, recently selling several bags that either served as "duplicates" of more lived bags, or ones that simply didn't get used. I feel more free and once again realize that LV monogram is my favorite!!! I rarely sell bags in that print. My goal is to have no more than around 10 bags. Anything more is just too much for me. Too many choices.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
I do have some bags that have been unused for mearly 6 months now :sad:

Other issue is selling discontinued bags .....
The eva is on the list due to waiting for my favourite mm in the same print DE to arrive. I already know I like the favourite mm as have it in DA a and he size works for me.
I know that he eva will be used very little due to but know it's been discontinued so don't want to regret it ...... but I don't need both bags.