when did your bag obsession began?

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
When or what started your love of handbags? I suddenly developed an obsession with bags during the pandemic, which is really strange. Maybe it is my way of coping with everything terrible happening in the world. I used to have 0 interest in bags, I used to have an olive messenger bag that I use for everything.now I wanted to start a handbag collection.
I am just interested in what your experiences are:idea::cool:

I got into designer bags and SLG around 10 yrs ago but bags have been my groove since I was a little girl.
It all started when I was 3 or 4 years old and I got a yellow barrel bag with a print of a girl holding a bouquet of flowers. It had white pipings and straps. I put all my important stuff in it right away; a clam shell, a red glass heart, a cool looking beer bottle cap, my favorite stones and so on. Soon I had a collection going on; I had a tiny brown leather shoulder bag for my daily outings (like going to the park), a small navy crossbody bag for better occasions and a red backpack/satchel with a horse print for traveling. I loved them all. (Wish I could do such minimalism now!)

My mum just posted on Facebook a 30 yr old picture of us sitting on a bench in Nice. Sure enough, I was wearing aviator sunnies and I had a small handbag in my hands. I still wear aviators and I basically refuse to leave our yard without a bag in tow. I totally had my sh*t together when I was 11 yrs old. :giggle:

I got into designer bags and SLG around 10 yrs ago but bags have been my groove since I was a little girl.
It all started when I was 3 or 4 years old and I got a yellow barrel bag with a print of a girl holding a bouquet of flowers. It had white pipings and straps. I put all my important stuff in it right away; a clam shell, a red glass heart, a cool looking beer bottle cap, my favorite stones and so on. Soon I had a collection going on; I had a tiny brown leather shoulder bag for my daily outings (like going to the park), a small navy crossbody bag for better occasions and a red backpack/satchel with a horse print for traveling. I loved them all. (Wish I could do such minimalism now!)

My mum just posted on Facebook a 30 yr old picture of us sitting on a bench in Nice. Sure enough, I was wearing aviator sunnies and I had a small handbag in my hands. I still wear aviators and I basically refuse to leave our yard without a bag in tow. I totally had my sh*t together when I was 11 yrs old. :giggle:
You have a lifelong love for handbags.. I love how you had a bag collection at that age, thanks for sharing a lovely memory:heart:

Reactions: jbags07 and Amazona
Seeing my mother and grandmother's purses. I started off small with Dooney and Bourke but upgraded to my first Louis Vuitton (Tivoli PM) in 2009. Since then, I've been trying to grow my little collection.
I`ve always read about the quality of vintage Dooney, I might try to get one. Did you inherit any purses from your mom/grandmother? Thanks for sharing :heart:

This new strange obsession started in 2019. Prior to that, I have always loved handbags. There are pictures of me at 4 years old with with a little purse on my shoulder (back then I called it a pocketbook). I received my first (Contemporary) designer bag around the age of 14. For the next 20+ years, that was for the most part, the only designer brand that I really had in my collection (I've always had tons on non-name brand bags). In 2019, I watched a YouTube video about my newest purchase at the time, Coach Parker. For some reason I fell down the rabbit hole of handbag videos. All of a sudden I was thinking about bags all the time. I spent most free moments online looking at bags and videos about bags. I then added a few more contemporary bags to my collection, but wanted more. That's when I decided that 2020 would be the year that I expand into the luxury market. I now have 2 luxury designer bags :smile: and I finally have an account on here lol (spent years lurking).

If I recall correctly, it started when I was on my honeymoon in Paris in 2011, and my husband proposed that we should buy a really good bag from a luxury brand (we went to LV). Prior to that, I have never purchased any luxury bags, I simply didn't pay much attention to, or spend much on bags.

After the trip, I wanted to know more about my bag, and stumbled upon this forum. And down the rabbit hole I went, been hooked ever since. Bags are my biggest obsession, nobody else understands this except for the people here. I love this forum!

I was bag shamed many years ago by my boss for carrying a little throwaway bag that wasn't upscale enough to be in his presence. I was mortified, and immediately bought a Fendi baguette. I'd had no idea how big a role a handbag could play in making an impression, and have been careful ever since to carry something that won't offend a tyrant conductor.

You take the middle of nowhere, drive for a couple of hours and that's where I lived. I then moved to somewhere. The designer bags that were on the arms of celebrity's, were now carried by everyone and their mom. Where I came from, nobody cared about your looks. Everybody here looked so stylish.

I realised that high street bags don't last a lifetime and wanted more. Haven't gone premier yet but at least I now know what will or won't work. And thanks to this place, I am being schooled in quality, heritage and so much more.

PB was something I always read. During the pandemic there suddenly was this flood of time and created an account. I love how we all can go gaga over bags. People all over the world, men, woman, in some cases even socioeconomic worlds apart, everybody feels that a bag is more than just fabric with the ability to carry our belongings. And that bags are never the same, they are at most just similar.

Edit: everything I just mentioned and maybe a lot of Sex & the City. Especialy the last season. To this day I can not wear sequins and not feel like Carrie.

This new strange obsession started in 2019. Prior to that, I have always loved handbags. There are pictures of me at 4 years old with with a little purse on my shoulder (back then I called it a pocketbook). I received my first (Contemporary) designer bag around the age of 14. For the next 20+ years, that was for the most part, the only designer brand that I really had in my collection (I've always had tons on non-name brand bags). In 2019, I watched a YouTube video about my newest purchase at the time, Coach Parker. For some reason I fell down the rabbit hole of handbag videos. All of a sudden I was thinking about bags all the time. I spent most free moments online looking at bags and videos about bags. I then added a few more contemporary bags to my collection, but wanted more. That's when I decided that 2020 would be the year that I expand into the luxury market. I now have 2 luxury designer bags :smile: and I finally have an account on here lol (spent years lurking).
I love the coach parker! I have only just started my bag obsession so Im only dabbling at contemporary brands for now. Congrats on getting the upgraded bags you've always wanted in 2020:heart:

Reactions: HarlemBagLady
If I recall correctly, it started when I was on my honeymoon in Paris in 2011, and my husband proposed that we should buy a really good bag from a luxury brand (we went to LV). Prior to that, I have never purchased any luxury bags, I simply didn't pay much attention to, or spend much on bags.

After the trip, I wanted to know more about my bag, and stumbled upon this forum. And down the rabbit hole I went, been hooked ever since. Bags are my biggest obsession, nobody else understands this except for the people here. I love this forum!
You are lucky to have such a great husband... Mine has not been very supportive of my new obsession, haha! But I still continue to browse purse forum, no harm in that

I was bag shamed many years ago by my boss for carrying a little throwaway bag that wasn't upscale enough to be in his presence. I was mortified, and immediately bought a Fendi baguette. I'd had no idea how big a role a handbag could play in making an impression, and have been careful ever since to carry something that won't offend a tyrant conductor.
In some jobs like the fashion industry, you are being judged by what you wear, so I understand that! Also depends on the crowd you mingle with. so sorry that the experience with your boss is negative for you though...

Last edited:
You take the middle of nowhere, drive for a couple of hours and that's where I lived. I then moved to somewhere. The designer bags that were on the arms of celebrity's, were now carried by everyone and their mom. Where I came from, nobody cared about your looks. Everybody here looked so stylish.

I realised that high street bags don't last a lifetime and wanted more. Haven't gone premier yet but at least I now know what will or won't work. And thanks to this place, I am being schooled in quality, heritage and so much more.

PB was something I always read. During the pandemic there suddenly was this flood of time and created an account. I love how we all can go gaga over bags. People all over the world, men, woman, in some cases even socioeconomic worlds apart, everybody feels that a bag is more than just fabric with the ability to carry our belongings. And that bags are never the same, they are at most just similar.

Edit: everything I just mentioned and maybe a lot of Sex & the City. Especialy the last season. To this day I can not wear sequins and not feel like Carrie.
That is so true.. This community is where everyone can freely share their love for handbags without judgement. I have learned so much especially in how to look for quality, new designs and brands. I am starting with contemporary bags to see what works for me. Carrie always carried some pretty eye candy bags!