when did your bag obsession began?

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
When or what started your love of handbags? I suddenly developed an obsession with bags during the pandemic, which is really strange. Maybe it is my way of coping with everything terrible happening in the world. I used to have 0 interest in bags, I used to have an olive messenger bag that I use for everything.now I wanted to start a handbag collection.
I am just interested in what your experiences are:idea::cool:

Amazona

Crazy bird lady
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
I got into designer bags and SLG around 10 yrs ago but bags have been my groove since I was a little girl.
It all started when I was 3 or 4 years old and I got a yellow barrel bag with a print of a girl holding a bouquet of flowers. It had white pipings and straps. I put all my important stuff in it right away; a clam shell, a red glass heart, a cool looking beer bottle cap, my favorite stones and so on. Soon I had a collection going on; I had a tiny brown leather shoulder bag for my daily outings (like going to the park), a small navy crossbody bag for better occasions and a red backpack/satchel with a horse print for traveling. I loved them all. (Wish I could do such minimalism now!)

My mum just posted on Facebook a 30 yr old picture of us sitting on a bench in Nice. Sure enough, I was wearing aviator sunnies and I had a small handbag in my hands. I still wear aviators and I basically refuse to leave our yard without a bag in tow. I totally had my sh*t together when I was 11 yrs old. :giggle:

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
I got into designer bags and SLG around 10 yrs ago but bags have been my groove since I was a little girl.
It all started when I was 3 or 4 years old and I got a yellow barrel bag with a print of a girl holding a bouquet of flowers. It had white pipings and straps. I put all my important stuff in it right away; a clam shell, a red glass heart, a cool looking beer bottle cap, my favorite stones and so on. Soon I had a collection going on; I had a tiny brown leather shoulder bag for my daily outings (like going to the park), a small navy crossbody bag for better occasions and a red backpack/satchel with a horse print for traveling. I loved them all. (Wish I could do such minimalism now!)

My mum just posted on Facebook a 30 yr old picture of us sitting on a bench in Nice. Sure enough, I was wearing aviator sunnies and I had a small handbag in my hands. I still wear aviators and I basically refuse to leave our yard without a bag in tow. I totally had my sh*t together when I was 11 yrs old. :giggle:
You have a lifelong love for handbags.. I love how you had a bag collection at that age, thanks for sharing a lovely memory:heart:

Reactions: jbags07 and Amazona
Aug 2, 2015
Seeing my mother and grandmother's purses. I started off small with Dooney and Bourke but upgraded to my first Louis Vuitton (Tivoli PM) in 2009. Since then, I've been trying to grow my little collection.

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
Seeing my mother and grandmother's purses. I started off small with Dooney and Bourke but upgraded to my first Louis Vuitton (Tivoli PM) in 2009. Since then, I've been trying to grow my little collection.
I`ve always read about the quality of vintage Dooney, I might try to get one. Did you inherit any purses from your mom/grandmother? Thanks for sharing :heart:

HarlemBagLady

MissHarlemBagLady
Dec 14, 2020
NYC
This new strange obsession started in 2019. Prior to that, I have always loved handbags. There are pictures of me at 4 years old with with a little purse on my shoulder (back then I called it a pocketbook). I received my first (Contemporary) designer bag around the age of 14. For the next 20+ years, that was for the most part, the only designer brand that I really had in my collection (I've always had tons on non-name brand bags). In 2019, I watched a YouTube video about my newest purchase at the time, Coach Parker. For some reason I fell down the rabbit hole of handbag videos. All of a sudden I was thinking about bags all the time. I spent most free moments online looking at bags and videos about bags. I then added a few more contemporary bags to my collection, but wanted more. That's when I decided that 2020 would be the year that I expand into the luxury market. I now have 2 luxury designer bags :smile: and I finally have an account on here lol (spent years lurking).

Cleda

Nov 8, 2011
Singapore
If I recall correctly, it started when I was on my honeymoon in Paris in 2011, and my husband proposed that we should buy a really good bag from a luxury brand (we went to LV). Prior to that, I have never purchased any luxury bags, I simply didn't pay much attention to, or spend much on bags.

After the trip, I wanted to know more about my bag, and stumbled upon this forum. And down the rabbit hole I went, been hooked ever since. Bags are my biggest obsession, nobody else understands this except for the people here. I love this forum!

Joule

Jan 14, 2016
I was bag shamed many years ago by my boss for carrying a little throwaway bag that wasn't upscale enough to be in his presence. I was mortified, and immediately bought a Fendi baguette. I'd had no idea how big a role a handbag could play in making an impression, and have been careful ever since to carry something that won't offend a tyrant conductor.

Egel

Mar 9, 2020
You take the middle of nowhere, drive for a couple of hours and that's where I lived. I then moved to somewhere. The designer bags that were on the arms of celebrity's, were now carried by everyone and their mom. Where I came from, nobody cared about your looks. Everybody here looked so stylish.

I realised that high street bags don't last a lifetime and wanted more. Haven't gone premier yet but at least I now know what will or won't work. And thanks to this place, I am being schooled in quality, heritage and so much more.

PB was something I always read. During the pandemic there suddenly was this flood of time and created an account. I love how we all can go gaga over bags. People all over the world, men, woman, in some cases even socioeconomic worlds apart, everybody feels that a bag is more than just fabric with the ability to carry our belongings. And that bags are never the same, they are at most just similar.

Edit: everything I just mentioned and maybe a lot of Sex & the City. Especialy the last season. To this day I can not wear sequins and not feel like Carrie.

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
This new strange obsession started in 2019. Prior to that, I have always loved handbags. There are pictures of me at 4 years old with with a little purse on my shoulder (back then I called it a pocketbook). I received my first (Contemporary) designer bag around the age of 14. For the next 20+ years, that was for the most part, the only designer brand that I really had in my collection (I've always had tons on non-name brand bags). In 2019, I watched a YouTube video about my newest purchase at the time, Coach Parker. For some reason I fell down the rabbit hole of handbag videos. All of a sudden I was thinking about bags all the time. I spent most free moments online looking at bags and videos about bags. I then added a few more contemporary bags to my collection, but wanted more. That's when I decided that 2020 would be the year that I expand into the luxury market. I now have 2 luxury designer bags :smile: and I finally have an account on here lol (spent years lurking).
I love the coach parker! I have only just started my bag obsession so Im only dabbling at contemporary brands for now. Congrats on getting the upgraded bags you've always wanted in 2020:heart:

Reactions: HarlemBagLady

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
If I recall correctly, it started when I was on my honeymoon in Paris in 2011, and my husband proposed that we should buy a really good bag from a luxury brand (we went to LV). Prior to that, I have never purchased any luxury bags, I simply didn't pay much attention to, or spend much on bags.

After the trip, I wanted to know more about my bag, and stumbled upon this forum. And down the rabbit hole I went, been hooked ever since. Bags are my biggest obsession, nobody else understands this except for the people here. I love this forum!
You are lucky to have such a great husband... Mine has not been very supportive of my new obsession, haha! But I still continue to browse purse forum, no harm in that

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
I was bag shamed many years ago by my boss for carrying a little throwaway bag that wasn't upscale enough to be in his presence. I was mortified, and immediately bought a Fendi baguette. I'd had no idea how big a role a handbag could play in making an impression, and have been careful ever since to carry something that won't offend a tyrant conductor.
In some jobs like the fashion industry, you are being judged by what you wear, so I understand that! Also depends on the crowd you mingle with. so sorry that the experience with your boss is negative for you though...

Last edited:

nitneet

Jun 16, 2020
You take the middle of nowhere, drive for a couple of hours and that's where I lived. I then moved to somewhere. The designer bags that were on the arms of celebrity's, were now carried by everyone and their mom. Where I came from, nobody cared about your looks. Everybody here looked so stylish.

I realised that high street bags don't last a lifetime and wanted more. Haven't gone premier yet but at least I now know what will or won't work. And thanks to this place, I am being schooled in quality, heritage and so much more.

PB was something I always read. During the pandemic there suddenly was this flood of time and created an account. I love how we all can go gaga over bags. People all over the world, men, woman, in some cases even socioeconomic worlds apart, everybody feels that a bag is more than just fabric with the ability to carry our belongings. And that bags are never the same, they are at most just similar.

Edit: everything I just mentioned and maybe a lot of Sex & the City. Especialy the last season. To this day I can not wear sequins and not feel like Carrie.
That is so true.. This community is where everyone can freely share their love for handbags without judgement. I have learned so much especially in how to look for quality, new designs and brands. I am starting with contemporary bags to see what works for me. Carrie always carried some pretty eye candy bags!