When did Balenciaga shorten the handles of the City?

Jaded81

back on TPF!
O.G.
May 27, 2007
Hi,

I bought my Balenciaga city in 2011. It was perfect except the leather was a little on the dry side.

Since then it has died so I went into the Balenciaga shop and found that now they are calling what I used to have the “classic” (apparently the shape has changed a little and they used to have a medium size) they have shortened the handles and now it comes with a long strap! On top of that I was told that they are slowly phasing out the city!!!

looks like I have to buy pre-owned.

Can someone tell me when they shortened the handles? I was told that the handles were already shortened when the longer straps were introduced a couple of years back.

TIA

Reactions: Namwan-
Hi,

I bought my Balenciaga city in 2011. It was perfect except the leather was a little on the dry side.

Since then it has died so I went into the Balenciaga shop and found that now they are calling what I used to have the “classic” (apparently the shape has changed a little and they used to have a medium size) they have shortened the handles and now it comes with a long strap! On top of that I was told that they are slowly phasing out the city!!!

Can someone tell me when they shortened the handles? I was told that the handles were already shortened when the longer straps were introduced a couple of years back.

TIA
what do you mean it has died? it can't be revived?

no she had been through a lot... was my workhorse bag, went around the world, got redyed and repaired (never going back there again) then she grew mold all over... was time to say goodbye after 10 years. The old girl had a good run
sad but I guess you got your good out of her.......mold - yuck - how did that happen?

Hi,

TIA
I bought my city in 2016 or 2017 and the strap was short. They did not offer to sell me a longer one at that time :sad: I LOVE my bag.

I bought my city in 2016 or 2017 and the strap was short. They did not offer to sell me a longer one at that time :sad: I LOVE my bag.
I think they were first offered around 2015 but I don't think there was an abundance of them. Then the logo'd one came out sometime later. Not sure if the OP is talking about the classic City or the Neo, the classic City still has the same shape, the Neo is the latest iteration by Gvasalia and has a different shape.

Reactions: momshj