When designers go mid-end retail

ILoveCoach said:
I think it's great that designers do that. As it is, designer anything costs way to much money. It has gotten out of hand, shirts are costing what I make in a month. Bags are worth 4 credits @ my university!!

I think that making beautiful things affordable is a great idea, that way, everyone can carry an authentic bag that they love and deserve. I know tons of people who can only afford target/wal-mart that deserve to carry a beautiful designer bag.
I totally agree with ILoveCoach. I'm thrilled that Luella is working with Target. The clothes are way too tiny for me (I'm plus-sized) but they look really cute. I went to Target after work today to see what they had. I snapped up a yellow hobo for $35. I'm sure the stuff will disappear quickly from the stores. The good thing about it is I'd never risk getting a yellow bag if I was spending a lot of money on it. I have two of Luella's regular designer line bags, the baby Gisele and the Anouk. This Target Luella is perfect for just knocking around, going out to clubs or whatnot. It's only made of cotton twill but it has some cute little details like her regular line, hanging charms etc. I've set a moratorium on buying expensive bags for a while since I'm still recovering for all that time I was unemployed last year, so it was fun to be able to get something cute from Target that didn't put a dent in my budget.

jaffa said:
I totally agree with ILoveCoach. I'm thrilled that Luella is working with Target. The clothes are way too tiny for me (I'm plus-sized) but they look really cute. I went to Target after work today to see what they had. I snapped up a yellow hobo for $35. I'm sure the stuff will disappear quickly from the stores. The good thing about it is I'd never risk getting a yellow bag if I was spending a lot of money on it. I have two of Luella's regular designer line bags, the baby Gisele and the Anouk. This Target Luella is perfect for just knocking around, going out to clubs or whatnot. It's only made of cotton twill but it has some cute little details like her regular line, hanging charms etc. I've set a moratorium on buying expensive bags for a while since I'm still recovering for all that time I was unemployed last year, so it was fun to be able to get something cute from Target that didn't put a dent in my budget.

I stopped by Target yesterday as well to preview the Luella line. (I am at Target at least once a week.) The only thing they had was a few of her clothing pieces, which were cute, but I have way to many clothes! (Can't say the same for purses! :lol: ) So I will be checking back. Iliked the yellow with the netting that was shown earlier. While there I ended up buying an Issac Mizrahi sweater that was 50% off. I'm wearing it now and it's nice!

It's fun to see how designers work on a more limited budget in terms of audience and materials. I like Martha Stewart's line at K-Mart (not the bedding because I prefer a higher thread count) but the kitchenwares are quite nice!)

Thanks to everybody who shared their comments!

I have a beautiful brown wool jacket from Michael by Michael Kors. It's great quality and I think it will be one of my favorites for a long time. I haven't seen much stuff apart from that...

I consider the names you mentioned to be designing a mass-produced line for large department stores (H&M, Target or whomever). Mid priced, IMO, would be something like Michael Kors at Dillards, a lot of the D&B bags, some Coach...and the like.

I think that's where MOST designers should focus their efforts because they're not so cheap that they're viewed as disposable or not chic enough by the fashion/bag snobs, but they're not so expensive that that you eliminate 99% of your market from the get go.

Personnally, I think it's great. It gives lots of people a chance to recognize good design and to appreciate that it is the structure and lines of a garmet or accessory that make it worth the designer label (and, often the price). Style is about taste - not just about having something that everyone knows cost big $$$$.
:yes:

I used to be excited that i could afford 'designer' things
but after a season or two i'm not impressed anymore

like people were so excited about the Luella stuff but it wasn't that amazing and it all looked like cheap target/walmart/k-mart stuff in the end

I don't know much about them. I rarely go out except to work. When I do go out, I buy what I want for the price I like. If it's not worth it to me, I walk away. I'd do the same with certain LV bags. I don't like it so even if you drop $100 off, I won't get it.

It is an awesome move for the designers, now they can make money on both markets.

Yea, the quality doesn't compare but the prices are reasonable! :smile:

So everyone wins!

Love it. Love the Luella for Target line.

So many fashion designers borrow from 'street style' and then twist them into haute couture... how many punk kids in NYC did Marc Jacobs stalk before he came out with his collections? Luella is from England - king of funky street style. So in a way, it's a return to fashion roots... you think those kids who inspired high fashion designs can actually afford any of them? It's almost come full circle.

I have been rocking the Luella yellow horse bag and I LOVE it. I never thought I would like a bag so big and loud but I do.
I haven't been super impressed by Tara Jarmon yet, though, but I haven't seen too much of it at my local Target. I'll have to get to the ones in Orlando or Atlanta and check it out.

joyfishyu said:
B000CSCR6U.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

This one is girlish and cute:P

Perfect for summer, do they have in red?