When can I ditch the diaper bag?

LOOKALIKE

Aug 31, 2007
Dallas
I have a 2 yr old and I'm still stuck carrying the diaper bag all weekend. DH bought me a Dooney & Burke diaper bag, that I love, as he knew it would be my new "handbag" for the most part. :However, I just hate not being able to carry my designer bags all weekend long or when the baby is with me. He's a little older now (2yr) and I'm really wondering when can I ditch the diaper bag all together. I've seen some kids wear their own back packs but at what age do you do that?:hysteric:

tracy814

Jul 19, 2007
I really never used a diaper bag except for when #2 was just born and #1 was only 20 mos old. and potty training, so I always needed extra diapers, clothes, etc. Now I have 3 kids, the youngest is almost 2, and I haven't used a diaper bag in years. I do tend to carry big bags, or totes, and I can get away with just throwing a diaper and small pack of wipes in there for most outings. If we're going away or on a longer trip, I will use a nylon tote for all the stuff I need. Ditch it!!

I personnally still carry a diaper bag for DD when we are away from the house for more than an hour or so... DD is 2.5 and potty training, so you never know when you'll need a change of clothes (or three!).

I use a small-ish Kate Spade tote as a "diaper bag" so I am usually carrying the tote and a handbag..... :P

carlottalyn

:)
O.G.
Apr 10, 2007
Ditch it! :tup: I have two toddlers still in diapers (and one has bad reflux, lots of throwing up) and I never use "diaper bags." I have a change of clothes for each of them in their own Diapees & Wipees (or you could use any other pouch, that's just what I have handy) and something called The Diaper Clutch that holds a few diapers and a small pack of wipes. Include a disposable changing pad, and that takes care of that. If I need to bring sippy cups etc I just put them in little bottle holders, Ju Ju Be has some bottle/sippy holders that are nice. I would never go back to carrying a diaper bag, I love my bags too much! Once you have the right accessories, there's no need for a diaper bag. It will help though if your handbag is large lol. HTH! :wlae:

LewLew

Budding Bag Junkie
O.G.
Dec 27, 2007
Houston, TX
Ditch it.......when my DD turned about 2, I just started throwing her stuff in my bags and carried one larger handbag or totebag.

I am bag to the dual bag scenario because I now have a very little one again, but when she gets a bit bigger I'm going to ditch the diaper bag FOREVER! :smile:

LOOKALIKE

Aug 31, 2007
Dallas
I have several large bags, so I have no problem with the pull ups and wipes. It's the sippy cups. I would die if they leaked in one of them.

carlottalyn

:)
O.G.
Apr 10, 2007
http://www.ju-ju-be.com/addons.html Check out the sippie rockets on this page. That's one option at least...I've also gotten small cooler bags (that fit 1-2 sippies in them) and used those before. :smile:

shop2drop1

On a ball field
Sep 1, 2007
Land of OZ
Ditch the diaper bag!! I was a diaper bag & designer bag carrying mom (OK that wasn't efficient!), then decided that I would just carry 1 larger bag & stuff the kiddie things in it. It worked fine for me. Now the kidos are 4 & 7 so there is much less to carry.

lmartinx1

♥~♥~tPF~♥~♥
Jun 23, 2007
Mile High State
I'd ditch it too. I've got an 18mo and 4yo and haven't carried a "diaper bag" for a couple of years now. There are so many great looking Mommy bags that can double as diaper bags that there is no reason to be stuck toting around a big ole diper bag. I've got a few of the Not Rational bags. Some of their larger bags ARE actually diaper bags. Made of super yummy leather, you'd never know were diaper bags and they make great Mommy bags when your LO's are out of diapers.

Kimmi

Aug 6, 2006
^^Good for you!! Actually it's easy to ditch the diaper bags if you have a car most of the time, as opposed to being in a city and walking/public trans...I just keep a well filled backpack in the car and carry a bigger style bag with me that I can fit a juice box, snack, diaper and wipe etc in for emergencies. I have two still in diapers (I had three till a few months ago but the potty-training finally worked! ;) ) When we go into the city and I won't be near my car I do have one of the older kids carry a smaller backpack with some extra baby stuff.