When buying LV at a boutique, many bags do you inspect before choosing?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I will be buying my first LV in Hawaii. It will be my first time ever setting foot in a LV store! I have done tons of research and I'm 99.9% sure that I will be getting the Speedy B 25 DE. I hope this isn't a crazy question, but how many bags would you/did you ask to inspect before choosing "the one"? I just want my first bag to be perfect and I'm aware of the various qc issues that these bags can have. Do the SAs (generally) get annoyed if you ask to compare a few?

Personally I only ask for additional ones to look at if there is something I am dissatisfied with the one I am looking it. That has only happened once. The second one I looked at was perfect (to me) so I bought it.

Personally I only ask for additional ones to look at if there is something I am dissatisfied with the one I am looking it. That has only happened once. The second one I looked at was perfect (to me) so I bought it.

I only looked at one (new from the back or drawer) Speedy and ZCP and they were perfect (to me). When I was buying a cles the SA put out three from the drawer and I could easily see that one was 'better' than the other two - I thought maybe cles was the first item new workers made because it's the least loss to LV if they mess them up? Corners not symetrical on the two I didn't choose.

I guess I'm just being paranoid because this will be my first purchase. I have never even seen a LV bag up close in person (other than a store window or on a random person in public) nor have I touched one! So when people talk about thick vs. thin canvas I wouldn't know the difference. I do feel like I've done enough research to be informed about what possible issues to look for so I'm feeling pretty confident :smile:

I guess I'm just being paranoid because this will be my first purchase. I have never even seen a LV bag up close in person (other than a store window or on a random person in public) nor have I touched one! So when people talk about thick vs. thin canvas I wouldn't know the difference. I do feel like I've done enough research to be informed about what possible issues to look for so I'm feeling pretty confident :smile:

I always ask if they have one made in France first. A MIF bag is always my first choice.
But all and all I look at two or three of the same bag just to be certain I'm happy with the bag I'm buying. And if the SA seems put off.. WHO CARES!! She is not buying you the bag..
And you are getting yours in Hawaii so I doubt you will ever use that SA again anyway!
Good luck!! :smile:

I always ask to see how many of each bag they have if they a) try to give me a bag that is on display or b) there is some imperfection that I notice. Also, depending on the item, there may only be 1 or 2 in stock which means that you could potentially end up having to take the display model or not have many others to compare them to. I'm not sure how large the Hawaii store is so you may not have that issue!

Normally when I go into the store to buy, I know what items I'm going for so I usually don't spend time looking at other items. I have a good relationship with my SA now, so she'll usually pull things out she thinks I might like "for next time." ;)

Have a wonderful time and good luck picking out your first bag!! So exciting!! :woohoo:

I always inspect them. You should never feel bad about this. If you see anything you don't like, just politely ask if they have another one. I often show the associate what I don't like about the bag and they usually help me inspect the next one. No one has ever acted put off or irritated by this. I also go straight home and re-inspect it again. Once I noticed something I didn't like at home and took it right back. They ordered a new one in because the others were imperfect. Make sure you are happy or it will sour your feelings for the bag.

I always inspect all the bags that I purchased whether they are online or in the boutique. I also need to be happy with my purchases so inspecting the bag is very important. I also inspect it once I get home in different lighting sometimes the lighting is a little different when you get home verses in the boutique. I do also keep in mind that nothing is perfect. But it needs to pass my can I live with that test.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Its a real shame about that gap. And I really thank her for pointing it out, as s/thing to look out for. I hope she has returned it, since I definitely wud have.

And to answer the OP, "as many as it takes to find the one", though most stores usually only carry a couple per style. Mine only had that one(not 25), in that size, thank goodness, she is 'yet to be tested' though, just perfect to look at ; P

Last edited:
Probably at the least, two pieces, so there is a point of comparison.
Sometimes all you need to see if whether the bag sits and drapes the way you want.
I had two Beverly MM at different times, and I can absolutely tell my current one is the better crafted one.

I ask whether they have more than one of the item in stock. Usually they tell me that this one is the "only one" - even if the bag came from its dustbag inside of a drawer and not directly from consumer display. It depends on the store and the item. I always inspect the item thoroughly, and if it's not acceptable to me I'll leave it at the store and purchase a fresh new one from LV.com. The larger stores usually have multiples of popular items in stock so that you can select the best from the batch.