When buying an item off of an auction site...

bellagal

Apr 25, 2007
When buying an item off of an auction site, do you assume that it comes from a non-smoking home if it's not listed as smoke free or smoking home OR do you assume that because it's not listed that it does come from a smoking home?!

I know asking THE QUESTION is the thing to do (which is what I've done & am waiting on answers) but when you first look at the auction, what would you usually think?

I see a few BIN items I want to snap up but I don't want to take the chance they're from a smoking environment.

I just assume it comes from a non-smoking home. I don't smoke (and neither does anyone in my household) so it hasn't really occurred to me to specify non-smoking home. Although I might add that in the future!

Now I do have two cats so I do state that in my listings. I always say something along the lines that I have cats but I keep my bags stored in their dustbags.

I assumed non-smoking when I bought my minisig pill case, and wish I hadn't. It reeked. Fortunately it was just the pill case, and 99% fabric, so I doused it with Febreze and aired it out outside for a couple of days and it's OK. I wouldn't have been able to Febreze it so liberally if it had been a bag, and I don't even know if it even would have worked, so I'm glad I learned my lesson with the pill case.

I assume it is from a smoking home unless it is specified that it is not. Being from a non-smoking home is a selling point, and I'm always sure to include it in my listing when I sell items. If it's no stated, definitely better to ask than risk getting a stinky item.

I assume smoking home. Sometimes it is too late to ask and I end up bidding at the last second. I might take a chance here or there, esp if it is something I can flip.

And reading the eBay Clothing Boards, you would be surprised at the number of smokers who have a smoke free ebay room and think their items won't smell like smoke when they ship them.

Never assume ANYTHING. Ask questions about condition, stains, marks, worn spots, odors, pen marks, etc, and if you don't get answers, don't bid.

If a seller can't take five minutes to answer a question, they don't deserve your business.

Never assume ANYTHING. Ask questions about condition, stains, marks, worn spots, odors, pen marks, etc, and if you don't get answers, don't bid.

If a seller can't take five minutes to answer a question, they don't deserve your business.

I agree with the expert.. I got burned so much because I did not ask question.

Then I asked questions and the seller did not reply, I really wanted the bag and got burned again.

Finally I ask all the questions in the world and if they do not have the pictures I need a ask for those too. If the seller does not get back to me or the reply is not good enough I do not buy it.

Get your money's worth it is yours.

you know what they say, dont assume because it makes an ass out of you and me lol. i dont smoke and dont have any smokers at home so i always make a note of that in my listings, if it does not say and you want to be sure it comes from a smoke free home just ask the seller, i purchased a bag of ebay the seller didnt say either way and it has a smoke smell but it does not really bother me, i just left it out to air and now its fine

I never assume anything. If I'm serious about the item I ALWAYS ask about smoking, pets, stains, etc before bidding. I'd rather be safe and miss out on an item than get something awesome and be disappointed when it arrives.