Travel When are you likely to travel?

Have anyone recently traveled experience delays or canceled flights domestically or internationally due to staff shortages? Long waits at tsa checkpoints? My coworker experience this traveling from NJ to NC and higher car rental rates. She explained to me the delays was mostly in NC and she have friends that traveled internationally and had canceled flights coming back to the U.S.

Reactions: Hq8
Have anyone recently traveled experience delays or canceled flights domestically or internationally due to staff shortages? Long waits at tsa checkpoints? My coworker experience this traveling from NJ to NC and higher car rental rates. She explained to me the delays was mostly in NC and she have friends that traveled internationally and had canceled flights coming back to the U.S.
I believe I posted about it in the thread about the mask mandate for flights. Yes, delays..bad ones. The reason "crew availability" there are also staff shortages for all security checkpoints and customs. Toronto Pearson was telling people to arrive almost 4 hours early (even for domestic) and there were huge crowds.
Flights are $$$$ and rental car rates are through the roof.

• Sad
Reactions: mzbaglady1
I believe I posted about it in the thread about the mask mandate for flights. Yes, delays..bad ones. The reason "crew availability" there are also staff shortages for all security checkpoints and customs. Toronto Pearson was telling people to arrive almost 4 hours early (even for domestic) and there were huge crowds.
Flights are $$$$ and rental car rates are through the roof.
I didn't know airpilots for the U. S. was forced into retirement at the age of 65. I just know long lines and flight cancelation seems like it's higher around major holidays.

I'm also looking for answers. For the ones that traveled recently from the US to Europe, could you please share any information you may have on covid related requirements? What did you use as proof of covid vaccination? There is a Digital COVID certificate system for EU, but I didn't find anything similar for US.
Did you do a COVID test prior to your trip? Many thanks!

Made it back from Spain/Portugal with no issues (and no Covid!). Spain had no testing requirement to enter if fully vaxxed so that part was easy. There is a travel form that you have to fill out online listing vaccine details and it gave you a QR code to be scanned on entry but it seemed inconsistent as they only checked mine, not my hubby’s. To go from Spain to Portugal by air, testing was required (because of the fact there is no reciprocal agreement with US/ Portugal on our vax records). We used the proctored eMed test in our hotel room on a wifi call and it was super easy. Basically you scan the QR code on the box to start the test (after making an account), they watch you do it and 15 min later they rejoin and confirm the results. They send you an email and a QR code. We uploaded the result into the Air Europa app for that flight but no one actually asked to see anything at the airport. For the flight from Portugal to US, we did the same eMed proctored tests and tried to upload the info to Delta FlyReady but nothing would upload. From what I understand that app is very buggy for the Covid test part. But when we got to Lisbon Airport, we just showed a Delta rep while we were checking our bags and that was that. Very easy!

• Thanks
Reactions: Chanbal

When flying from Lisbon to the US on the return leg of our trip last week, we got there 2 hours early and made it to our gate basically right as our flight was boarding. The delays were checking bags at Delta - there were only like 6 people in front of us but it took forever for some reason … like 30 min! And at passport control we were told they were on strike so lines were long. Moved quickly for the line size but still took 30 min. And the airport is just big so took a while to get across.

But actual flights for me have been on time, no delays/issues (I flew two other domestic trips for work last mont also). My co-worker has had terrible luck with cancellations, delays and re-routings (those due to weather).

Made it back from Spain/Portugal with no issues (and no Covid!). Spain had no testing requirement to enter if fully vaxxed so that part was easy. There is a travel form that you have to fill out online listing vaccine details and it gave you a QR code to be scanned on entry but it seemed inconsistent as they only checked mine, not my hubby’s. To go from Spain to Portugal by air, testing was required (because of the fact there is no reciprocal agreement with US/ Portugal on our vax records). We used the proctored eMed test in our hotel room on a wifi call and it was super easy. Basically you scan the QR code on the box to start the test (after making an account), they watch you do it and 15 min later they rejoin and confirm the results. They send you an email and a QR code. We uploaded the result into the Air Europa app for that flight but no one actually asked to see anything at the airport. For the flight from Portugal to US, we did the same eMed proctored tests and tried to upload the info to Delta FlyReady but nothing would upload. From what I understand that app is very buggy for the Covid test part. But when we got to Lisbon Airport, we just showed a Delta rep while we were checking our bags and that was that. Very easy!
Thank you so much. It's great that you are back and in good health.

I already ordered the eMed tests and I'm planning to take them with me.

Would you mind providing more details on the "travel form" to "fill out online", where can I find such form? Is there a link. I appreciate all details you can share.

Thank you so much. It's great that you are back and in good health.

I already ordered the eMed tests and I'm planning to take them with me.

Would you mind providing more details on the "travel form" to "fill out online", where can I find such form? Is there a link. I appreciate all details you can share.

Are you going to Spain? This is specific to there but here it is. https://www.spth.gob.es/ — click the blue side (do not have EU …) Each country will have its own requirements (or none at all) so you may have to check for other similar requirements. I basically just did a lot of Googling! :smile:

• Thanks
Reactions: Chanbal
No major trips as I have a number of big workshops to attend throughout the summer months. However, we are doing a staycation in the province. My partner's parents surprised us with a paid three day bed and breakfast place by a lake in July. They were fuzzy on the details so we have no idea where or how far we have to drive to get there!

I'm going to NYC actually next month to visit my brother! I moved across the country during the pandemic because of university. I still get a bit paranoid on planes. One time in the airport terminal a guy took off his mask just to cough then put it back up.. I was like what :shocked:

Traveling internationally soon (have done domestic travel). Reading up on reducing risks during flights, I've distilled the most important:
- wear a very good mask and don't take it off if possible (I have an elastomeric on the way with p100 filters)
- board last and deplane first/as early as possible. those boarding and deplaning period is when the air exchange is low, and people have shown CO2 readings were high during those times (means we're re-breathing other people's breath)
- have the overhead air blow toward your face
- avoid having to crowd around/wait in queue so nothing to declare and travel with carry on is the best possible option

Last edited:
Summer travel is always worse, but it’s truly a nightmare right now. To top it off, I finally went overseas for work and came back with covid after avoiding it for 2.5 years.