Travel When are you likely to travel?

I am feeling a bit :sad::shocked::confused1::crybaby:This article popped up my news feed. I had no idea this was a thing in NYC Manhattan right now. I experienced some very unsettling things in San Francisco last year (watching people use the bathroom on the street, coming up on a man with no pants/underwear and someone shooting up a few feet from me) I also seem to attract people no matter how much of a tough local I try to look like. I feel like this is a sign as I was specifically going to stay in Hells Kitchen. All I wanted to do was walk and walk and eat and see where my feet took me. I don't want to see NYC like this and I am beginning to realize that even though I am vaccinated and plan to social distance and stay outdoors that some places have complex problems that I am not aware of. While I am ready to go back to favorite cities maybe they aren't ready for me.

I know the NY POST is drama mag but I have dome some outside research after reading this and while they may be dramatic apparently it is a problem all over the city.

Hells kitchen is not that bad, imo.
Now It is not disneyland(although they tried:giggle:)
The worst is around Port Authority (in the daytime)
Now, if you are female and scared, nighttime and subway might not be 100% comfortable for you:smile:.
The bus is a great option for you though. I love the bus.
Especially if you are not in a rush.
Maybe some year around NYCER would answer.

Reactions: Chanbal
I am feeling a bit :sad::shocked::confused1::crybaby:This article popped up my news feed. I had no idea this was a thing in NYC Manhattan right now. I experienced some very unsettling things in San Francisco last year (watching people use the bathroom on the street, coming up on a man with no pants/underwear and someone shooting up a few feet from me) I also seem to attract people no matter how much of a tough local I try to look like. I feel like this is a sign as I was specifically going to stay in Hells Kitchen. All I wanted to do was walk and walk and eat and see where my feet took me. I don't want to see NYC like this and I am beginning to realize that even though I am vaccinated and plan to social distance and stay outdoors that some places have complex problems that I am not aware of. While I am ready to go back to favorite cities maybe they aren't ready for me.

I know the NY POST is drama mag but I have dome some outside research after reading this and while they may be dramatic apparently it is a problem all over the city.

I'm noticing this on the subway here too (when I've taken it... which is a lot less; like twice a month versus M-F back in normal times) The homeless have become much more aggressive - like getting right in your face, maskless or calling you a betch when you ignore them.

I know I've gone a little batty with lockdown, so I can't imagine how much this has affected the marginalized.

You should be fine vaccinated already. its fine by the park Along Central Park south and Central Park west. agree with @limom. You will be fine walking in the park. I do it every day. I would avoid Times Square and penn station and areas around there. My friend who lives in Chelsea says that ninth Avenue by her in the twenties is not great.

I work out in CentRAL Park in the early mornings and people keep their distance. since the CDC said you can go masklepas outside, its a mix. Have a great time! I’ve been on the subway once, and it was relatively free of crowds, but I would recommend buses Or taxis or walking. The taxis all have plastic partitions and open windows, but some ubers ive been in do not.

DH and I observe social distance and have been in our social bubble through most of Covid, but we’ve relaxed since we were vaccinated and we do eat inside restaurants. For live entertainment, there is live music (a string trio) at Bluebird London restaurant in Time Warner on Friday nights (the restaurant is empty around 6 pm) and a great jazz vocalist (on Saturday brunch). although it’s indoors, it’s a very large space and Time Warner has worked to make sure there is ample air circulation. (No affiliation, just a happy customer who wanted a hear a live performance. restaurants are very accommodating (at the restaurants we go to all servers wear masks and are vaccinated) and it should be okay.

hope you have a great time!

DH and I are going to visit his mom, who has epithealial peritoneal mesothelioma. His parents decided to fly out to Santa Barbara a month ago (precovid they spent half the year there). afterwards, we are going to Amangani In Jackson Hole. We feel relatively safe after being vaccinated and we’re pretty careful. DH was invited to speak at a conference in Singapore late in the summer, but obviously that was cancelled. So, we want to take mini trips instead.

Edit: had our 30th anniversary dinner at Gabriel Kreuther off of Bryant Park east of Time Square. Seemed normal safety wise and the crowd dresses up (more of a special occasion restaurant which can be either a good or bad thing depending on ones mood). Here is a trio of desserts: pistachio frappe brulee; chocolate sticky toffee pudding; and a happy anniversary choclate malted cake; with sorbet accompaniments and house made chocolates and passion fruit caramels. Also recommend the house special duck, the Spanish Jamon, Alsatian tart, trout, and any carb (I like GK better than Per Se or Craft and it’s less expensive than our favorite omakase in NY too). But, skip the kelly green amuse bouche.
7ECA632A-9BB7-426F-BABC-7D5F3EC7E578.jpeg222BE7E1-5E83-492D-83BD-10E5F966C77D.jpeg

Last edited:

Sorry, but I would not travel to NYC at this time. It’s nothing like it was 1 1-2 years ago. I spent 4 days in NYC early 2020. City was filthy then with way more homeless. I also caught Covid while there. Now, it’s a nightmare, homeless, dirty needles and UNSAFE. My girlfriend was mugged under a scaffold on 5th Ave while walking to Central Park, Sunday morning @ 10am. I’m not a NYC basher, I love it there, born there, worked there, subways every day, railroad etc . I am a New Yorker who now lives in NJ. The city will turn around, hopefully, but it will take time, a long time. Don’t want to dampen your plans, but just giving you a heads up on what is going on. Please stay safe.

Sorry, but I would not travel to NYC at this time. It’s nothing like it was 1 1-2 years ago. I spent 4 days in NYC early 2020. City was filthy then with way more homeless. I also caught Covid while there. Now, it’s a nightmare, homeless, dirty needles and UNSAFE. My girlfriend was mugged under a scaffold on 5th Ave while walking to Central Park, Sunday morning @ 10am. I’m not a NYC basher, I love it there, born there, worked there, subways every day, railroad etc . I am a New Yorker who now lives in NJ. The city will turn around, hopefully, but it will take time, a long time. Don’t want to dampen your plans, but just giving you a heads up on what is going on. Please stay safe.
Thank you so much for sharing. I canceled my trip. I am going to hope again for this fall based on covid, crime and the changes the city can make by then. I was supposed to fly to NYC 9/11/01 So it has always been my plan to come back for the 20th year anyway.