When a HG bag dissapoints

Somersetlove

Dec 4, 2011
For a while I've been hunting for a particular bag. I've had both Mo and Naughtipidgin on the case to locate it and have been checking the outlet thread regularly in the hope it would come in.

On Tuesday I had great news that it was available at Bicester so I phoned immediately and secured it and it arrived yesterday. I opened her up and just, well, felt a bit flat about it. I wasn't excited about the bag and it wasn't instant love. I also found a couple of issues (maybe I was phishing for them as it wasn't love) and she has gone straight back today for a refund.

Some might say I was more interested in the thrill of the chase but I don't think that was the case. I genuinely wanted this bag and had planned outfits to wear with it and could really see myself using her a lot, but when she arrived I just couldn't see myself keeping her.

So ladies, the question is have you ever been disappointed by a HG bag?

I did take some pics before she went back as I don't think I've seen a reveal of one on here before, so presenting my briefly owned bayswater summer khaki large silky snake

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums...E7E64476-454-000000481377B8C8_zps5da828ae.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums...BCD05BD3-454-00000048591866FC_zpsc155ee6b.jpg

I kinda understand how you feel. An Oak Alexa wasn't exactly my ultimate HG bag but I wanted one for so long and I felt it was an iconic bag that I SHOULD have in my collection. I'd had previous good experiences with a Roxanne Satchel and a black Mitzy Messenger - although I didn't own any Mulberry's at the time - and I eventually took the plunge and just bought my Oak Alexa. Now, I did keep her for a good few months but it also wasn't instant love, although I never expected to love her as much as my ultimate HG bag - my Balenciaga Giant City - so that wasn't really the issue. After a while I came to realise that I'd bought her because of the hype, the leather on the Alexa was massively disappointing - a well-documented issue with Oak Alexa's as well - and I truly came to realise that I had been totally ripped off. If I had maybe paid £300 I would never have had any concerns, but that's how much I felt the Alexa was worth, and I still do! I eventually sold her to help my Chloe Paraty fund and I've never regretted it. I do still adore the Alexa and I do sometimes see girls with one and it's just such a lovely relaxed-looking bag but I will never buy one new because they're hugely overpriced IMO.

So that was my bag that I coveted and wanted for about a year before it seriously disappointed me!

Ohhhhhh I was seriously considering this one- is she not beautiful IRL? What about her don't you love?

I've got to say yes to your q- I got my champagne moon metallic bays from NP and while I loveeeeee her I still haven't used her and she's been sat in her dustbag since September! I think it's fear of damage as she's so delicate but then I have lily in same leather and I use her all the time. That being said maybe on the summer I'll use her a lot more so Will be ok? I Do know though that ill never part with her unless I was in dire straights or someone in my family needed something urgently etc. she's a keeper! Another hg bag was of Alexa in mini leopard. I hunted this one down for ages and when I finally got her I felt... Flat (like you did actually!) I think for me it's always the chase that I prefer not the actual kill (very safari analogy here but works!) so I've taken a back seat now. Have decided I must see every bag I "need" IRL and make a decision not look at reveals and make a decision on that!!

Also there is no such thing as hg bag. As soon as you get one - another takes it's places as the most desired bag of all time... We are never pleased!

There were a couple of issues:

The majority of the scales were pressed flat all over the bag, but there was an area on the front bottom corners where the scales were raised. I wear my Bays over my shoulder and so the raised bits were where the bottom of my arm would brush against the bag. I realised that if they were raised now, with just a few wears this area would look very shabby so I began to worry about peeling.

The colour was also not what I rembered it to be. I knew it wasn't a bright green by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a lot more muted and grey/green toned - almost washed out looking. It was a bit of a chameleon and in different lights looked different shades, but it just didn't make my heart jump as I thought it should.

If the scales hadn't of been raised I might have kept her. She is a beautiful bag and looks very classy, but I can't justify having a bag that I would have to excessively baby.

She was a great price by the way if anyone is interested in getting one - originally £950 now £665

Sorry you're disappointed after getting a HG.

I've never had a HG or a bag I really had to have and was then disappointed by. There have been bags I've liked the look of online and then not liked them when I saw them IRL.

This has happened to me too, sometimes I think we hype them up in our heads so much that they just cannot live up to our dreams in real life!

It looks lovely but in real life I am sorry she wasnt.

Be thankful that you atleast got it from the outlet so you can return it without too much hassle, and it means you can start obsessing about another bag now!

Oh, what a let down! I think it looks lovely on your photo, but I'd be the same about those scales, and it would worry me too.

Not on the same scale, but I'd been drooling over some lovely boots online, but when they came yesterday, I felt a bit deflated - didn't quite look as good somehow?

I do sometimes wonder if our minds play tricks on us, and 'inflates' the image/importance of things, then when we see them IRL, they're a disappointment?

I think the thrill of the chase has a lot to answer for. I do it all the time. And it's so much fun choosing a new bag and obsessively looking at photos online (or is this just me?) I think, like some people have said, the real thing can be a bit of a disappointment.

Very true N2N about the most desired bags and then it comes a new one...!
I have had a few HG bags and they all turned out not so much to my liking when I finally got hold of them, either it was the leather that was a disappointment ( same experince as you with oak Lexy ) or else it was a style i thought I'd love but did not really enjoy in the end.

I also see that I tend to find new "must have" bags to replace the ones that dont fully live up to my expectations. But I dont keep bags that I dont love so my collection tend to change a bit, but today I can say that I now dont have a single bag that I dont love (except the ro sbs and Purple Suede Bays that is going bc of that, love them but they dont really work for me) and that is a good thing imo. Actually I think I'm pretty "bag content" now....
Just one more :graucho:

funnily enough, though not just on subject of bags, one of the March "Glossies" has an article on HG items - the article comes to the conclusion, much as has been said on this thread, a "seed is sown" & then "we" just water it into an obsession & it really is the thrill of the hunt / occupying of the mind that takes over - the article ends by suggesting our HG items are really the things we already have / wear / use most of the time NOT things we see / want / hunt for out of obsession ????
I'm "on the hunt" at present & prob' will take the plunge if I find "the special one" but apart from that have decided to confine my obsessing to my lavender collection as I know none of those girls will let me down ! xxH

So sorry your grail bag was such a let down Somersetlove.....there is a great deal of satisfaction in tracking down a specific bag. I thoroughly enjoy the "thrill of the chase". The euphoria of finding it though, is very much spoilt if the bag doesn't live up to expectations....

I suppose for us avid bag hunters, there's always the next bag.....:lol:

For a while I've been hunting for a particular bag. I've had both Mo and Naughtipidgin on the case to locate it and have been checking the outlet thread regularly in the hope it would come in.

On Tuesday I had great news that it was available at Bicester so I phoned immediately and secured it and it arrived yesterday. I opened her up and just, well, felt a bit flat about it. I wasn't excited about the bag and it wasn't instant love. I also found a couple of issues (maybe I was phishing for them as it wasn't love) and she has gone straight back today for a refund.

Some might say I was more interested in the thrill of the chase but I don't think that was the case. I genuinely wanted this bag and had planned outfits to wear with it and could really see myself using her a lot, but when she arrived I just couldn't see myself keeping her.

So ladies, the question is have you ever been disappointed by a HG bag?

I did take some pics before she went back as I don't think I've seen a reveal of one on here before, so presenting my briefly owned bayswater summer khaki large silky snake

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums...E7E64476-454-000000481377B8C8_zps5da828ae.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums...BCD05BD3-454-00000048591866FC_zpsc155ee6b.jpg
Ah that's a shame but yes I believe many of us have experienced this. With me a large part is the chase..... Luckily I didn't apply the same principle when pursuing my husband!!

I'm sure there will be something else you love, very soon, it makes the research even more exciting x