when a co-workers says something ...

If I were you, whenever you go to work with a new bag (i.e. somthing he hasn't seen yet) go show it to him...stick it in his face....I bet he'll take a few steps back and backoff!

well....there is the other extreme where ppl compliment a girl on a bag and she does not hold her head up high to announce that it is a Dior or Louis, because she is afraid of how they'll judge her. Some lousy justification seems like appropriate somehow.

Frankly, I think it's Sh*t why some people can bully us into being ashamed of something we actually find joy in. And the poor purses that take the brunt of the blame and shame!

They should sentence these ppl to rigorous classes of purse ettiquette.

when i started getting into purses, my co-workers took serious notice (almost every week for bout 2 months, I carried a different designer purse!)... it got to a point where almost every monday they would stop by my office just to see if i had anything new... some would make side comments saying, "must be nice..." i would say "don't hate!" in a joking kind of way...

but one day, someone actually asked me if i got a raise... i did, but i denied it (last thing i need are jealous co-workers!).. she kept insisting that i did... so i just joked and told her, "yes, i did get a raise - it's called getting married! i highly recommnd it!"...

hahaha she never said anything after that...

when i started getting into purses, my co-workers took serious notice (almost every week for bout 2 months, I carried a different designer purse!)... it got to a point where almost every monday they would stop by my office just to see if i had anything new... some would make side comments saying, "must be nice..." i would say "don't hate!" in a joking kind of way...

but one day, someone actually asked me if i got a raise... i did, but i denied it (last thing i need are jealous co-workers!).. she kept insisting that i did... so i just joked and told her, "yes, i did get a raise - it's called getting married! i highly recommnd it!"...

hahaha she never said anything after that...

hahha... thanks for all comments. at my old job it was the same, the girls would come over on mondays to see what new item i got , i guess b/c it was mostly all women with the same interests and we all worked in womens wear , we where in the "know". Since know its more of a job in outerwear w/ alot more male co-workers .. i guess they just dont understand. many times, i have told ppl that something new was bought by my husband. but i guess i just find it really hard to lie , b/c i take great pride in being the breadwinner of the house and pride in all my nice things. everybody knows my husband is not really buying me these things , unless he worked a lot of overtime:P ( hes a correction officer). i guess it bothers me that i cant be me anymore ... i really appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions. i think i just have to get adjusted to my new environmnet. thanks

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

If they were doing their job, they wouldn't have time to be jealous over what you have.

I hate when people do that to me. I can always tell.

I get it for my vehicles, jewelry, bags, shoes, etc.

I am very proud of all I have and I truly appreciate it all..and if I want to wear expensive things everyday I should be allowed to do that without having some idiot say something or look at me like I've done something wrong.

Hold your head up and work that bag. There will always be someone hating on you for something.

I prefer not to talk about or draw any attention to my bags at work. This is rather easy, since majority of the people I work with are male, and they do not know a designer bag even if it hit them on the head.

However, once one colleague noticed a small Burberry logo on my bag, and asked about the price of the bag. The situation was quite awkward, so I said that I got it with discount, and did not say the exact price.

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience...

You really have to not let it get to you - maybe you can try to make a remark next time - something like "Some people spend their money on vacations, some people buy cars, I buy bags." :shrugs: Like there must be something that guy would indulge in buying - everyone usually does - so I don't see why he has to say that...

I know its hard to ignore it though - I worked since I was in high school, so I was able to save up enough to buy designer bags - but I totally hate it when they make remarks like "Oh she is so rich so this is why she buys new bags." - when that is really not the case...

It is because things like this that I never use flashy bags at work - my coworkers would be green with envy, or even jealousy and will say the most terrible things - so I rather avoid to not take them out when I go to work (or use a subtle one where there are no flashy logos) I don't want to have to justify myself all the time for my purchases because no matter what you do someone is going to give a remark.

hahha... thanks for all comments. at my old job it was the same, the girls would come over on mondays to see what new item i got , i guess b/c it was mostly all women with the same interests and we all worked in womens wear , we where in the "know". Since know its more of a job in outerwear w/ alot more male co-workers .. i guess they just dont understand. many times, i have told ppl that something new was bought by my husband. but i guess i just find it really hard to lie , b/c i take great pride in being the breadwinner of the house and pride in all my nice things. everybody knows my husband is not really buying me these things , unless he worked a lot of overtime:P ( hes a correction officer). i guess it bothers me that i cant be me anymore ... i really appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions. i think i just have to get adjusted to my new environmnet. thanks

oh my gosh! my husband is a sheriff's officer!!! and they probably get paid just as much as a corrections officer... i was already making a pretty penny before i got married so having a second income in my household definitely helped... so i guess you can say that even though he doesn't actually go out and buy these things for me, he indirectly spoils me with the simple pleasures in life hee hee

i was always told it was rude to ask people how much things cost or how much money they make and i can't help but think there's something vulgar in making this type of comment.
i also don't like big logos because to me it's also vulgar since it's pretty much flaunting how much money you spent on something.

anyhoo, who gives a crap what people think. and next time you get asked how much something cost tell them you don't talk about money and leave it at that.

let's face it - the guy has no class. ITA to let it go as much as it stung.

Just keep enjoying your bags...as you said it's just a new environment to adjust to.

BTW I too was taught that asking how much something costs is totally gauche (unless it's a close friend and you have that understanding) and that it's equally if not more gauche to comment on something unless you're paying a sincere compliment. Oh well, guess that's old fashioned these days - sad.

Ladies -- class always tells. You just be your glamorous, subtle self. "Noblesse oblige." You do not even react to such a comment. Enjoy your things and continue on your way. If you show that his comment got to you, then, he sees an entree into bugging you. If you reacted "well" i.e. no reaction, he should feel like an a--hole for being such a vulgar lowclass guy. The best advice in life I've ever gotten, that will see you through many situations in life: Don't complain. Don't explain.

I never made very much at my old job where folks threw a fit about expensive bags. The car payment for just one of the two cars I drove cost almost as much as I made in a month there so they all knew it was my DH's money buying stuff. I was in grad school at the time and just glad I had a no stress job that I could leave when I graduated.
I always let them say what they wanted and laughed along with them. Who cares anyway... there will always be people jealous of what someone else has.
I was lucky enough that usually they formed their opinions in a laughing manner, so I could come back with a laughing remark of how they were just jealous they couldn't be me... LOL.
I'm sure they didn't want to be me anymore than I wanted to carry their ugly cheap bags but they got the point and shut up. LOL

People can be sucky. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

But, at 42, I don't really pull any punches anymore and I called her aside and told her that my purses and my budget were none of her damned business!

Good luck with your situation.

Good for you! And LVChanelFanatic, you should enjoy the possessions you love, not hide them because someone is a busybody or big mouth. When someone says something stupid to me, I usually just laugh and walk away smiling. The best revenge is being happy. IMHO

However, once one colleague noticed a small Burberry logo on my bag, and asked about the price of the bag. The situation was quite awkward, so I said that I got it with discount, and did not say the exact price.

When people ask me how much my new Chanel flap cost, I smile really BIG and say A LOT! (It's none of their business and I'm not ashamed of owning fabulous things!)

SAY IT LOUD: I HAVE EXPENSIVE TASTE AND I'M PROUD.

Okay I've had too much coffee this morning. hehehehe:graucho: