When a Buyer asks you for a BIN?

Grace123

Hopelessly Obsessed
O.G.
Nov 12, 2006
Question for you: I have a listing that was set as an auction with a reserve and I got a question from a buyer asking me if I would do a BIN for her, after I had disclosed my reserve price.

So I did it for her and she's vanished. Poof! So my question is, would it be wrong for me to message her and ask her why she didn't take advantage of the BIN? Granted, the additional listing fee to add the BIN isn't that much, but I did take the time to change the listing for her, based on my belief that she wanted to purchase outright.

Would I be a nasty seller to ask? Or should I just let it go and chalk it up to experience?

The exact same thing happened to me last week. The buyer asked me to change my price, I did, and they never bought the item. So, I revised the listing back to the auction and blocked the buyer from ever bidding or buying from me. I don't like people who play games.

That is why I never end auctions anymore just because someone asks me to. Unless you could do BIN with immediate payment, it's just too much of a risk that they are not serious. Sorry this happened to you. I would send her a message and see what happens. Did she actually DO the BIN or just ask you to list one? If she actually did BIN, then you can file for non paying bidder if she doesn't pay in 7 days.
Just read your message above again: I would tell her you did the BIN for her as per her request and you are waiting for her to take advantage of your largesse.

No, she didn't do the BIN. I had hopes that she would buy it right away, after we agreed on this. But poof, she's gone!

I like the idea of blocking buyers who play games. I would be happier if she messaged me and explained why she suddenly couldn't buy the bag after we had settled on a price, etc. I mean I understand that in this economy, one's situation can change in an instant, but I still would appreciate knowing why she backed out.

I had someone contact me once about changing my listing and adding a BIN. I just explained to her that my starting price was the lowest I was willing to sell the item for and that I wanted to avoid both the listing and FVF for a BIN listing. I thanked her for her interest and wished her luck on bidding. Lo and behold, after the auction ended, I checked the bidders, and she never even placed a bid.

I don't think it's wrong to contact her and ask what happened. It wasn't fair to you that she would just vanish after you had set this up. I'd still block her on bidding on your auctions though.

WHy do buyers do that?? act really interested, ask for a BIN, and then just disappear???? :shrugs:

Perhaps she didn't know that you did that? I suggest contacting her- she might be waiting for you to tell her that your auction is a BIN now, just for her? Unless I didn't read right and you just told her.. hah but definitely communicate with her and see what happens.

I messaged her after I added the BIN so she would know and told her if she could finish the transaction before noon, I'd mail it the same day.

Oh well. Live and learn!

She may have just decided that your reserve price is too high.
People may be interested genuinely, but for the right price! Often sellers assume, that if a person sounds very interested in their item, that's a chance to rip off a lot of money dfrom that fool.
Every time I offered my special interest in some items, sellers got greedy and their price and value assumptions would creep up. The only thing a buyer can do when given a ridiculously high BIN is politely vanish!

^^I think you haven't read the thread properly - the BIN price was agreed upon by the OP and the buyer, the seller added the BIN to her listing and the buyer has vanished - so i get what you're saying, but it's absolutely not relevant in this case....

A recent buyer asks me for a BIN and I politely told her that her offer was a little low. Still she asks for BIN and this time I said the reserve was firm. So, she bids it all the way up to the reserve, wins the auction, and I haven't heard from her since. If the reserve was too high, why even bid at all. Argh. Seems like people get desperate wanting to own something that they can't have or afford. I think eBay is addictive to people like that, much like gambling.

I say chalk it up to experience, block the bidder, and stay firm on how you choose to list your items in the future. Detail it all in the description. A number of eBayers are fickle and change their minds constantly, chewing down the price or even overbidding what they can't afford. I once had a woman ask me to make handbags for her, showing a great interest in not one, but two bags. As soon as I put them up online for her, she pretty much disappeared.

She may have just decided that your reserve price is too high.
People may be interested genuinely, but for the right price! Often sellers assume, that if a person sounds very interested in their item, that's a chance to rip off a lot of money dfrom that fool.
Every time I offered my special interest in some items, sellers got greedy and their price and value assumptions would creep up. The only thing a buyer can do when given a ridiculously high BIN is politely vanish!

If you'd reread what I've posted, both the buyer and I agreed upon a fair BIN price. My goal on ebay is NOT to rip anyone off, in fact I usually price my items UNDER what a fair price may be. I'll leave the rip offs for others.

I just don't get why someone would bother to take the time to negotiate a BIN and then, poof! In all the years I've been on ebay, I still don't get the point of this time of behavior. :confused1:

I had someone do the exact same thing to me recently. I never bothered to e-mail her and ask why she didn't buy because I figured she would just be more trouble in the end like.....buyer's remorse....complain about this or that....etc...

BUT I did block her though!! :yes: