When a bag is used - ????s on auction

86leo

*Got Coach?*
Jan 19, 2007
When an auction states that a bag is "used but in excellent condition"....and also states that if you have any questions or want additional pictures, to ask.

Do you ever ask them questions on the condition?

My reason for asking this is.

I normally only buy NWT. And have 100% success with this.

So, I see a bag I really want, but it is "used in excellent condition". I dont know what that means. The pictures "appear" fine, but who knows.

So, I email the seller and ask what it means. I ask what are the flaws, etc. I tell her I have never bought used before, so I just want to be sure what Im bidding on.

She responds: "if you are looking for perfection I suggest not to bid...for the used bag it is in excellent condition..."

:supacool:
I never said I wanted pefection. I just wanted to know what was "used" about it. Does it have rips? stains? pen marks? scuffs? smoking smell? what?

What do you think of this response? Was I out of line for even asking??

Guess I will just stick to NWT :supacool:

I always ask about condition because pictures don't always show fine scratches/rubs etc. My question is usually phrased something like "please decribe the condition and any marks/blemishes/rubs/smells as it is hard to see in the pictures" Most sellers are happy to oblige. Not sure about the response of this one.

No, you are absolutely not out of line. She should be disclosing: scuffs, ruboffs (e.g., of logos), odours, corner wear, interior condition, scratches on any hardware, scratches or tears/rips on the exterior, discolouration of the leather anywhere, condition of the handles (dirt, darkness, colour, scratches), and any water spots or stains.
This is not unreasonable to ask and she should be forthcoming about all of these areas!

If in the auction she didn't mention any flaws from use, then yes - I can see why you're asking. But "used" doesn't necessarily mean rips, stains, scuffs and such. It could be that she bought it new, used it a few times and it simply shows no use whatsoever. Maybe she's just being honest that it's not brand new.

Some things can be used but still be in excellent condition and not show any signs of wear.

Don't bother with this seller. I think she does not want to clearly disclose the condition of the bag. She could have answered no stains, rips, tears, scratches, or odors. This is what I consider excellent condition.

I don't think you were out of line. Since it was a used bag you wanted to find out what flaws exist.

I typically list the flaws and try to capture close up pictures of them to demonstrate the condition. My feelings are it protect both of seller and buyer because if there is a SNAD complaint, as a seller I have disclosed everything in detail. It also helps the seller determine of the flaws are something they can live with which I think protects both parties.

If it's something you really want I would reply to the seller with something like "I think you may have misunderstood my question" and ask it again in another way. If you get a similar response or no response then I woud move on.

I don't see any problem at all with what you did. I've asked question about bags I've purchased- if no response I move on and I always answer any questions and send requested photos as a seller. Seems strange they would offer to answer questions/send photos then give you that response. How is their feedback ?

I just bought a used Ali and asked plenty of specific questions and the seller answered very nicely. She was super to deal with as a matter of fact. I think this seller was a bit rude. You aren't buying a $2 purse after all. Good luck!

Although I try to be as detailed as possible in listings, I am relieved if I get the chance to give extra information to potential buyers - it means that if they decide to bid they are doing so knowing what to expect and that means it is more likely to be a happy transaction. I would never respond as this seller did - seems very short-sighted not to mention slightly rude to me. Let us know what you decide to do.

It would probably be better to ask her specific questions like - is it dirty? does it have any marks? does it have worn corners or edges? does the fastening work property? etc etc - that way she will have to answer specific questions.

Either that or ask her for photos of places where you would expect any wear to be - handles, inside, bottom etc.

You are perfectly within your rights to ask - it is better to ask lots of questions than get it and ask to return it.

So, I see a bag I really want, but it is "used in excellent condition". I dont know what that means. The pictures "appear" fine, but who knows.

So, I email the seller and ask what it means. I ask what are the flaws, etc. I tell her I have never bought used before, so I just want to be sure what Im bidding on.

She responds: "if you are looking for perfection I suggest not to bid...for the used bag it is in excellent condition..."

:supacool:
I never said I wanted pefection. I just wanted to know what was "used" about it. Does it have rips? stains? pen marks? scuffs? smoking smell? what?

Perfectly legitimate question to ask, her response seems slightly 'ubrupt' - it could be because she wants to avoid any complaints after purchase - If you know a bag is used and have purchased used bags before, your expectancy is lower than if you have only brought new bags before.

I have brought both, and its true to say that some used bags have been 'used to death' and some have been in pretty good condition.......

Your perfectly correct to ask though. But understand that could be be wary because may want to avoid problems later...

Well, in the end I did not bid.

The price got pretty high and since she was pretty short w/ me and not willing to disclose anything, I decided not to bother since there was no way of knowing what I would get.

Thanks again everyone!!;)

You are probably better off sticking to the New with tag bags but, some sellers sell new bags in excellent condition, and are under contract to sell as used only. It's funny, but then I see the same bag being sold as new with tags by the person who bought it. I'm sure your seller only had a couple of blurry photos that couldn't be enlarged, right?