What's your unpopular opinion on luxury shopping?

I've said this in the various subforums now....

The new uniform is
Cartier Love & JUC bangle
VCA Alhambra necklace and bracelet
Chanel flap/ Hermes B/K
Chanel dad sandals or Hermes Orans

The $40k uniform is very boring.

I don’t have either of these items and I’m so happy to not fall into this brainwashed idea of must-have luxury items. Like for sometime I thought that Cartier’s Panthers watch is the ultimate watch, but then I found a beautiful vintage Van Cleef watch from the 80s for the fraction of the price and I’m much happier with it, cause I know it’s unique, I love its style and I’m not copying anyone. Just because a piece is a classic for a luxury brand and has been there for ages, doesn’t necessarily justify the purchase by being a must-have.

Also the other day I accompanied a friend to buy a LV bag, the store was so overcrowded, you had to wait in line, and the overall purchase experience didn’t feel like a luxury experience to me. Some brands are just way overrated.

I make an appt; am on time. My SA texts me if he is running late; and I ask to make sure we don’t run over timewise. I am fortunate that I can make an appt for slow times during the week, bc neither my SA or I like to be rushed. I dont have a problem with waiting a reasonable amount of time bc sometimes things happen, but I’ve never had to wait on line. waiting on line is not luxury. Sometimes when a few friends and I go jewelry shopping, my SA will offer to cater, but i dont often accept. I particularly don’t think it’s a good idea for RTW, silks or delicate items to be tried on. I am clumsy and would honestly be afraid of spills. The one time I ran a bit over and made my SA late for another client was chanel RTW, and I apologized.
True New Yorker - “on line”

Wow, it's been a while since I've come back to read this thread! Really enjoy the discussion everyone! :biggrin:

On getting the luxury treatment, I do not expect to get it when I go shopping.
If I know I will buy that day, I'll text my SA ahead of time for an appointment, and he'll set time aside. If I am a bit spontaneous and come in, I ask him if he has any scheduled appointments that day to make sure I don't take up too much of his time.
When I do come in, at most I'll ask for is a water. But if they start bringing over the champagne and cakes, I am not going to say no. :P My husband can be a bit chatty sometimes, and to make sure my SA get's a break or gets time for lunch, I just cut him off short and say: let "my SA's name" go eat! we'll go pay now! :lol:

If I just want to browse, and have no intentions of purchasing that day. I directly tell my SAs, to go do their thing, help other people and get their commission/sales in. I'll let them know if I want to buy. :smile:

The worst is when someone comes in, expecting everything, looking and trying on everything, wasting the SA's time, and leaves buying nothing. :mad: I understand, that sometimes things don't work out and of course, people should buy what they want and what fits their specifications, but there needs to be some tact and awareness.
One of my SAs told me that one time he was very busy helping a client and there was another person waiting to be helped. When he finally got to the person (let's just call him/her Jess), Jess asked to try on all these clothes, shoes, and bags. He brought out everything Jess wanted. And then Jess said to him: I'm not going to buy anything because you took too long to help me, and just left! My poor SA had to clean up and put away all of those items. :sad:

Anyway, that's not an unpopular opinion lol, just a bit of story time.

And what’s with the door people?!?! If I arrive on time for my appointment, you should acknowledge me. They stand around like bouncers at a popular club while you wait there to be noticed, it’s really poor treatment.

" Can I see your ID and proof of occupation so I know you won't just look around and waste everyone's times?"

- the door person at Louis Vuitton. You can see it in their eyes. :P

Last edited:
" Can I see your ID and proof of occupation so I know you won't just look around and waste everyone's times?"

- the door person at Louis Vuitton. You can see it in their eyes. :P
IMO LV flagship has some of the most unfriendly staff of all time.

another unpopular opinion:

Some people seem to expect their luxury items to last forever or that aftercare should be free. I take care of my things, but I use them. I pay professionals to maintain them.

If you have to return a 2K bag multiple times to get a flawless one without anything wrong with it, it's not luxury.
And if you know, the bag will develop problems in 90%, even if flawless first, you're an idiot.
An idiot like me^^

I am guilty of this. I had to resign the fact that maybe I truly can't afford the $2k+ bag if I am nitpicking imperfections that I wouldn't even notice or care about on a $200 bag.

IMO LV flagship has some of the most unfriendly staff of all time.

another unpopular opinion:

Some people seem to expect their luxury items to last forever or that aftercare should be free. I take care of my things, but I use them. I pay professionals to maintain them.

I would argue that a luxury item should, with routine maintenance and appropriate care, last a lifetime.

Materials do give out. Things get damaged. But I should if an item is luxurious, I should be able to fix it. I should be able to re-line a bag, or resole shoes.

As for aftercare, my standards are: Cleaning and inspection should be included but repairs should be at or above standard market rates.

I pay a premium for designer jewelry because I don’t have access to a quality bench jeweler who takes care of me.

Vintage Mama received a Tiffany seven stone ring from my father for their 10th anniversary. Every year, she drops it off at Tiffany’s. They steam it, inspect it and return it to us. When the ring was 25 years old, they came back and said, “The prongs are starting to bend on your emerald, and I’m afraid it will damage the stone. We can return it to you, but I strongly suggest that we send it to New York for maintenance.” I had them ship it off, and then gladly paid the $900 bill almost five months later. They rebuilt the settings, so it should last another quarter century.

Aftercare should not be free (at least, after a certain period of time.) but it should be available.

My unpopular opinion is that companies seem to have forgotten that they are establishment where simple commercial transactions should be the norm.

Why does this Fendi SA need to know so much for a simple bag order? View attachment 5426726
Is this a subtle way of Fendi starting to ask for pre-spend? It’s a purchase not a job interview!
I think they were either trying to ensure you will be happy with your SO (not refuse or try to return it)
or they are trying to keep SOs for those who may become regular clients? IDK lol
or maybe your SA was bored that day and wanted some company :smile: