What's your unpopular opinion on luxury shopping?

I probably gonna get roasted for this but the use of the words “journey”( nope, is still shopping and not a Jules Verne novel),“haul” (makes me think of Long John Silver), “score” ( is it Aussie rules or shopping?) and refering to SA as “fairies” when the “journey” ends with a successful “score”
Do they call SAs “trolls”, “ogres” or “witches” when the “journey” ends with no “haul”?
I’ve been an SA and wouldn’t like to be referred as anything other than “goddess”:biggrin:
Omg that is so funny!
You are definitely a goddess of photography though!

Sorry but I don't want to see the words faux, imitation, gold plated on a luxury item over a very high dollar amount. I know because of covid protocols that there's a limit of customers in a store. But when I can see several employees standing around with no customers and the door guard tells me to wait a couple of minutes to go into the store I will just walk away.
Recycling damaged and returned products to sell back to unsuspecting customers is a turn off.

I probably gonna get roasted for this but the use of the words “journey”( nope, is still shopping and not a Jules Verne novel),“haul” (makes me think of Long John Silver), “score” ( is it Aussie rules or shopping?) and refering to SA as “fairies” when the “journey” ends with a successful “score”
Do they call SAs “trolls”, “ogres” or “witches” when the “journey” ends with no “haul”?
I’ve been an SA and wouldn’t like to be referred as anything other than “goddess”:biggrin:
How about H angel?

People almost buy the exact prescribed formula (the usual suspects— love bracelet, alhambra, Juc, a designer handbag...etc) as much as they can afford. So, it's like walking with your purchasing power displayed for everyone to view. It has become a uniform or badge to enter a perceived higher society. They don't really curate their own wardrobe. I don't get it. It shouldn't be standardized like this!
Even better -- when there are so many of these bracelets worn that it must weigh a ton and looks like superhero accessories. Now that's some purchasing power, no?

How about H angel?

Oops, forgot about the angels! BTW “The Angels” were a good Aussie band, not sure about H angels, Hell angels?
As Hermes is a greek god I am not sure how the angels fit into the “journey” narrative…
“Captain’s log: Here I was in treacherous waters, between Scylla and Charybdis on my journey towards securing the great haul when lo and behold, I heard the angels sing and a flutter of fairies guided me across those treacherous straits into the promised land, the inner sanctum when an angel speaking in a lovely tone brought (insert bag, brand here)
Journey completed! Thanked the fairies, angels and elves and left the treasure island looking at other ships arriving safely or crashing against the treacherous straits”

People almost buy the exact prescribed formula (the usual suspects— love bracelet, alhambra, Juc, a designer handbag...etc) as much as they can afford. So, it's like walking with your purchasing power displayed for everyone to view. It has become a uniform or badge to enter a perceived higher society. They don't really curate their own wardrobe. I don't get it. It shouldn't be standardized like this!

I also really don't get the designers! (On a broader level, what exactly are you selling? What idea? What aspiration?) Don't they know that almost everybody hates logos??
Growing up I was taught about peer pressure in school. I never realized how much it'd apply to shopping and society events as an adult.

That said, if you love one of the usual suspect pieces, buy it. Not buying it because everyone has it is and buying it because everyone has it are just different sides of the same coin.

I also really don't get the designers! (On a broader level, what exactly are you selling? What idea? What aspiration?) Don't they know that almost everybody hates logos??

I think you answered your question in the first paragraph.

Reactions: DeryaHm

Oh yes the "journey" I mean I don't know, buying bags just is not that deep for me. To me making a "journey" out of it is a bit much but to each their own I guess.

Your post did make me laugh :lol:

+10000%. This seems to be the new superficial term used to try to put a gloss on selling your bags (or your "collection"). It's laughable.

Why must one gloss over selling a bag though? I have bought and sold many bags and could careless what people think. Its just a bag, no need to hold onto it for the rest of my life if I am not into it anymore for whatever reason. I will say though I find now that I am older I am buying pieces that I am holding onto for the long haul it seems but oh my when I was young my taste would change on a whim , classic or not lol.

Or saying CONGRATULATIONS when all you did was walk into a store and buy a bag.

How is that worthy of a congrats? It's not like having a baby, or graduated at school, or having a new job, or earning a paycheck... you simply bought a bag.

I mean yes, if you did mention that you worked your arse off for it then yes, you deserve the compliment. If not, then why bother.

Or saying CONGRATULATIONS when all you did was walk into a store and buy a bag.

How is that worthy of a congrats? It's not like having a baby, or graduated at school, or having a new job, or earning a paycheck... you simply bought a bag.

I mean yes, if you did mention that you worked your arse off for it then yes, you deserve the compliment. If not, then why bother.
"Congratulations" is another one, you are so right!

Reactions: Miarta and Naminé
My main unpopular opinion is that many fewer people should be buying luxury goods. Too many are either up to their ears in debt or going for shiny things at the cost of being actually set up for their everyday lives. Those who aren't covering the bases but are swanning around with expensive s%it--whether having the funds for school, rent, savings, the ability to be laid off for two months and not be broke, etc.--need to turn away from stupid social programming that says, being all surface is a way to live.
How many times do the backgrounds of pictures posted online tell a totally different story from the $2k bag being shown off? A whole lot.

My unpopular opinion is we should not ask for nor accept luxury gifts from our friends as birthday gifts. I am low key appalled when I see my gfs showing off on IG their new handbags, belts, shoes that they received as gifts from their friends - who I know are not in a position to splurge. It makes me wonder how shameless you must be to send out wishlists to your friends when it’s that time of the year again.

Personally, I would be so much happier seeing my friends investing their money on themselves, whether it’s on the stock market or somewhere more enriching than spending it on me.

Last edited: