What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

I don’t like white gold. It’s a poor imitation of platinum. I have a few white gold pieces, and every single one of them I wish were in platinum.

Ironically, vintage Van Cleef and Cartier diamond jewelry is more readily available in platinum. But everything contemporary from these two brands is basically nonexistent in platinum. I don’t wear my white gold pieces very often, because I can’t stand it when the plating starts to wear off.

I bought the VCA 2020 holiday pendant with the white gold guilloche, and when I put it next to my platinum pieces in my white metal section, I sigh. Will VCA ever introduce Alhambra in platinum? Like… I’m waiting.

Could you elaborate on the difference you see btw the VCA whitw gold vs platinum? I dont have any platinum pieces so i am just very curious.. i feel like white gold is brighter, whiter than platinum although i have had non VCA white gold ring that need re-rhodiuming after 8 yrs of extensive wesring, but so far, i find VCA white gold the nicest, in comparison with Cartier and coco crush but i dont have that much pieces to compare with

I don’t like white gold. It’s a poor imitation of platinum. I have a few white gold pieces, and every single one of them I wish were in platinum.

Ironically, vintage Van Cleef and Cartier diamond jewelry is more readily available in platinum. But everything contemporary from these two brands is basically nonexistent in platinum. I don’t wear my white gold pieces very often, because I can’t stand it when the plating starts to wear off.

I bought the VCA 2020 holiday pendant with the white gold guilloche, and when I put it next to my platinum pieces in my white metal section, I sigh. Will VCA ever introduce Alhambra in platinum? Like… I’m waiting.
Totally agree for rings and earrings, even the highest quality WG gets yellowish over time.

However for necklaces or bracelets, especially with thinner chains, it’s not as obvious. My Platinum chains look dull and there’s nothing to do about it, because Platinum is soft and scratches easily.
While no metal is lost unlike gold, you cannot polish a chain so it will stay really grayish which is not flattering on skin and seems kind of dirty (to me at least).

So in the end I prefer RG necklaces :smile:

Could you elaborate on the difference you see btw the VCA whitw gold vs platinum? I dont have any platinum pieces so i am just very curious.. i feel like white gold is brighter, whiter than platinum although i have had non VCA white gold ring that need re-rhodiuming after 8 yrs of extensive wesring, but so far, i find VCA white gold the nicest, in comparison with Cartier and coco crush but i dont have that much pieces to compare with
My first piece of fine jewelry was a platinum bracelet I got when I was 9. I wore that until I was 17, when I lost it during the last day of my high school’s musical performance. Very sad. After that, I couldn’t wear any jewelry for 4 years, because I had such an attachment to my old bracelet… Anyways, that bracelet may have biased me towards platinum.

Overall, I like platinum’s heft. It feels substantial. A quality material. Platinum is also more secure for holding diamonds, because it’s not as elastic and “springy” as gold.

Humans have been crafting gold for millennia, since it’s a soft, pliable material to work with. But this softness also makes gold easy to bend and deform. Claws, prongs, and beads made of gold wear down, which makes diamonds eventually come loose in a bracelet or ring. Thin chains made of gold will also stretch. It’s why I prefer platinum over gold. But I still think there’s a place for yellow and rose gold jewelry, since it’s boring to only wear one color metal forever.

Jewelry will often come in three color options: yellow, rose, or white. Yellow gold and rose gold are a given. But for that third white metal option, I’ve seen platinum, white gold, or even silver being offered.

Silver is actually whiter than white gold — at least at first. But silver tarnishes. Silver scratches easily. Silver is easy to bend. It needs a lot of maintenance. Between silver and white gold, the choice is very easy that white gold is the better option. Even though white gold is a little less white, white gold is a more carefree material than silver.

White gold with rhodium plating is whiter than platinum. But the plating scratches off easily. I bought a white gold bracelet from Tiffany. It was the first white gold piece I ever owned. The bottom of the bracelet became noticeably yellow after 8 months. Not so yellow that you could tell from a distance. More of a buttery, creamy, off white color — like a paler version of Chanel’s light gold hardware. I got it replated, and like 4 months later, I noticed once again that the top and bottom weren’t the same color anymore. Anyways, my white gold bracelet also became ever so slightly misshapen with time. I sold it eventually, because I just didn’t like babying it. Up until then, I always thought white gold and platinum were virtually interchangeable. My platinum bracelet that I wore as a literal child through playgrounds never had these issues.

Platinum is more gray than the other metals, but it’s definitely white. Personally, I’ve never noticed my platinum pieces becoming more gray over time. I feel like the color stays the same, but maybe with scratches it becomes more mattified? I see men with platinum bands that are decades old, and I don’t feel like the color looks any grayer now compared to new bands.

For the same reasons that someone would buy white gold over silver, I would choose platinum over white gold. Platinum is a stronger and more carefree material. It gives me a bit more comfort that I won’t have to deal with clasps getting misshaped, or diamonds falling out, or chains snapping. I mean, those things can happen with platinum, too. But platinum has the best balance of strength, weight, color, and durability in my opinion. Everyone I know who acquires both platinum and white gold pieces in their jewelry collection tells me that platinum is their favorite choice for white metals. I am, of course, in agreement.

Anyways, here’s a photo of two pendants I have from Tiffany. One is white gold and the other is platinum. Honestly, I don’t see a color difference, like even after carefully trying to discern one up close. My SA says that she’s seen white gold pendants turn yellow over time, especially around the back of the neck, where the chain is touching skin and clothing constantly. But I rotate my necklaces frequently, so this hasn’t happened to me.

BF01436A-29F8-4174-BE9C-801CABD3E280.jpeg

Last edited:

Platinums value plummet nowadays and white gold is quite the opposite. It has skyrocketed in value. Some pawnshop dont even accept platinum anymore. Take advantage of it. Buy while platinum is cheap

My first piece of fine jewelry was a platinum bracelet I got when I was 9. I wore that until I was 17, when I lost it during the last day of my high school’s musical performance. Very sad. After that, I couldn’t wear any jewelry for 4 years, because I had such an attachment to my old bracelet… Anyways, that bracelet may have biased me towards platinum.

Overall, I like platinum’s heft. It feels substantial. A quality material. Platinum is also more secure for holding diamonds, because it’s not as elastic and “springy” as gold.

Humans have been crafting gold for millennia, since it’s a soft, pliable material to work with. But this softness also makes gold easy to bend and deform. Claws, prongs, and beads made of gold wear down, which makes diamonds eventually come loose in a bracelet or ring. Thin chains made of gold will also stretch. It’s why I prefer platinum over gold. But I still think there’s a place for yellow and rose gold jewelry, since it’s boring to only wear one color metal forever.

Jewelry will often come in three color options: yellow, rose, or white. Yellow gold and rose gold are a given. But for that third white metal option, I’ve seen platinum, white gold, or even silver being offered.

Silver is actually whiter than white gold — at least at first. But silver tarnishes. Silver scratches easily. Silver is easy to bend. It needs a lot of maintenance. Between silver and white gold, the choice is very easy that white gold is the better option. Even though white gold is a little less white, white gold is a more carefree material than silver.

White gold with rhodium plating is whiter than platinum. But the plating scratches off easily. I bought a white gold bracelet from Tiffany. It was the first white gold piece I ever owned. The bottom of the bracelet became noticeably yellow after 8 months. Not so yellow that you could tell from a distance. More of a buttery, creamy, off white color — like a paler version of Chanel’s light gold hardware. I got it replated, and like 4 months later, I noticed once again that the top and bottom weren’t the same color anymore. Anyways, my white gold bracelet also became ever so slightly misshapen with time. I sold it eventually, because I just didn’t like babying it. Up until then, I always thought white gold and platinum were virtually interchangeable. My platinum bracelet that I wore as a literal child through playgrounds never had these issues.

Platinum is more gray than the other metals, but it’s definitely white. Personally, I’ve never noticed my platinum pieces becoming more gray over time. I feel like the color stays the same, but maybe with scratches it becomes more mattified? I see men with platinum bands that are decades old, and I don’t feel like the color looks any grayer now compared to new bands.

For the same reasons that someone would buy white gold over silver, I would choose platinum over white gold. Platinum is a stronger and more carefree material. It gives me a bit more comfort that I won’t have to deal with clasps getting misshaped, or diamonds falling out, or chains snapping. I mean, those things can happen with platinum, too. But platinum has the best balance of strength, weight, color, and durability in my opinion. Everyone I know who acquires both platinum and white gold pieces in their jewelry collection tells me that platinum is their favorite choice for white metals. I am, of course, in agreement.

Anyways, here’s a photo of two pendants I have from Tiffany. One is white gold and the other is platinum. Honestly, I don’t see a color difference, like even after carefully trying to discern one up close. My SA says that she’s seen white gold pendants turn yellow over time, especially around the back of the neck, where the chain is touching skin and clothing constantly. But I rotate my necklaces frequently, so this hasn’t happened to me.

View attachment 5423421

I’m 100% with you. I’m honestly not sure why anyone would prefer white gold over platinum. Even though plated white gold is whiter, it’s plating, not gold, and it wears off…

Reactions: lulu212121
These could be pretty unpopular since my tastes run a little bit on the wild side
I think for the majority of people, they would look best with minimal makeup while wearing their jewelry or with no jewelry if they have their normal amount of makeup on
I think having an earring in just 1 ear is much more cool than having them in both ears and I think a mans appearance is never helped by earrings
For my taste, wearing a watch, bracelet(s), rings, necklace, earrings, all at once is far too much on just about anyone, it is much more flattering and interesting when someone wears one very nice piece that suits them well and makes people curious when they see it
I'm reminded of a time I sat next to a very tall Asian woman on a flight who had no jewelry on except a vintage(probably) oval Patek Phillipe watch...that really left an impression on me

I wish more high end brands made pieces in sterling silver.
I dislike rose gold and yellow gold and I'm allergic to nickel, which means I can pretty much only wear silver.
I find it difficult to find interesting pieces made from it.
It's frustrating to see everything in white gold.

I'm also allergic to nickel. Tiffany and Cartier do not use nickel in their white gold, they use palladium. There's also Platinum which doesn't contain nickel. So you have options other than silver from lux brands.

I wish more high end brands made pieces in sterling silver.
I dislike rose gold and yellow gold and I'm allergic to nickel, which means I can pretty much only wear silver.
I find it difficult to find interesting pieces made from it.
It's frustrating to see everything in white gold.
I love gold, including unplated nickel-free white gold, but I still second this! I love how precious metals (silver included) age and patina, and rhodium plating ruins that for me.

That’s my real issue with WG, the vast majority is plated. I think unplated WG, platinum and silver are all more attractive than rhodium-plated WG.

Rhodium has a different luster, almost harsh to my eye. And it ages badly. Unplated WG and platinum are both beautiful but have a grey tone. Silver has a lovely luster, white but softer than rhodium and much more graceful in how it ages. I’m also seeing a lot of black rhodium lately, and I can’t help but think many of those pieces would be better in oxidized silver.

Silver was for centuries revered as a precious metal and used in high jewelry. Only around the turn of the last century, when platinum and WG became commercially available, did people stop valuing silver. I collect antique jewelry, so I have great appreciation for the unique looks you can achieve with silver. There’s nothing quite like it.

I'm also allergic to nickel. Tiffany and Cartier do not use nickel in their white gold, they use palladium. There's also Platinum which doesn't contain nickel. So you have options other than silver from lux brands.
I’m SO glad I love what I love and wear what I love without care of what people think. My only personal dislike is gold-plated designer jewelry, but only because I’d rather invest in all gold or platinum pieces.

Last edited:
I love gold, including unplated nickel-free white gold, but I still second this! I love how precious metals (silver included) age and patina, and rhodium plating ruins that for me.

That’s my real issue with WG, the vast majority is plated. I think unplated WG, platinum and silver are all more attractive than rhodium-plated WG.

Rhodium has a different luster, almost harsh to my eye. And it ages badly. Unplated WG and platinum are both beautiful but have a grey tone. Silver has a lovely luster, white but softer than rhodium and much more graceful in how it ages. I’m also seeing a lot of black rhodium lately, and I can’t help but think many of those pieces would be better in oxidized silver.

Silver was for centuries revered as a precious metal and used in high jewelry. Only around the turn of the last century, when platinum and WG became commercially available, did people stop valuing silver. I collect antique jewelry, so I have great appreciation for the unique looks you can achieve with silver. There’s nothing quite like it.
The patina of aged sterling is lovely; however it is best stored in a tarnish resistant jewelry box, or you must keep a polishing cloth handy.

View attachment 5423421
I see the difference.

Unpopular opinion: I am tired of seeing the same or similar combinations of over the top cartier, vca and/or bulgari jewelry arm stacks on social media. It doesn’t help when the cartier or vca community groups repost the same images over and over. It’s just getting old and uninteresting, and with the economy being so-so it shows lack of self awareness and taste. Although people who do this likely have little anyway.