What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

Not really an opinion and perhaps not unpopular…I don’t really understand either the concept of or the fascination with ‘prespend ratio.’ As I understand it, in some countries, one must spend a certain amount to ‘earn’ a B or a K offer. My confusion: how would one know exactly what the ratio is in one’s home store? And, more importantly in my mind, do people actually buy items while consciously calculating progress towards achieving the correct ‘prespend ratio’? Rather than because the items bring them joy?
Agree with @Buildingprofile.
In the US, prespend ratios are informal and seem to fluctuate from zero to 5X ++++
In Asia, ive read that the prespend ratio is quite specific, and your SA keeps track
There are TPF members who spreadsheet or otherwise calculate their purchases
whether or not that activity or those items bring joy or frustration probably varies

the bulk of my non bag purchases are larger items of RTW or home goods that are relatively easy to track, but I did stop counting after a certain number of offers and items. Im happiest being a bit more spontaneous

I think probably prespend is a very imprecise, rough way to quantify your path to a coveted bag for posters who w@nt to know these things. There will always be questions regarding how to follow in those footsteps. Even if no outcome can be guaranteed.

those of us who are not as focused on prespend do constitute the minority or the unpopular opinion here :smile:

Last edited:
Leading on from the above posts, it saddens me that Shopping at Hermes for many newer posters has become so riddled with angst about finding the right SA, spending in the right categories ,spend ratio, going to the boutique with the best inventory rather than the easiest boutique to visit geographically.
and dont get me started on the 'Should I accept this offer?' questions OR 'what colour bag should I buy?'.
I'm repeating myself here but shopping should for non essentials should be a form of recreation.
It should be enjoyable, relaxing even.
And If YOU dont know if you should buy that bag you've been offered HOW will we, a bunch of strangers know??
Colour is a personal thing.
A colour resonates with you and your wardrobe or it doesn't.
I wouldn't buy a big ticket item for personal use based on popular opinion.
I'd buy it based on MY opinion!!!!

People would faint if they knew the 'A1' level of quality fake H that is flooding the market that even SA's cannot differentiate.

And so much chatter about resellers losing money by dumping bnib on fb ... but reality is that most are making money.
I'm sure they are.... but any insights as to how? I don't hate the player... just trying to respect the game. The $10k? $15k? earnings on a birkin hardly offests the loss (especially after fraud risk) of selling all the pre-spend on Facebook and ebay? Especially if they get their bags at a high tax rate state, I don't see how that math works?

My unpopular opinion:
the first time i smelled Violette Volynka I thought of p**p :wtf:
:sick:
the other day I doused myself with Vetiver Tonka only to immediately realize my grave mistake. I proceeded to have a nauseating headache for the rest of the day.

Edit: in case it wasn’t very clear, I ended up spraying violette volynka on myself instead of vetiver tonka

Last edited:
How about DH's unpopular opinion? :biggrin:
He thinks Gold is a boring color that you can find pretty much anywhere - Aldo, TJ Maxx, Target :lol:
He's not wrong!
Says she who's 1st Hermes bag purchase was Gold because it was a 'timeless safe' choice.
I love my bag but definitely want one in black that I think I'll use more.
On topic..
Unpopular opinion
I agree with your husband and feel the same about Etoupe

He's not wrong!
Says she who's 1st Hermes bag purchase was Gold because it was a 'timeless safe' choice.
I love my bag but definitely want one in black that I think I'll use more.
On topic..
Unpopular opinion
I agree with your husband and feel the same about Etoupe

I feel the same as you about Etoupe - it may not be such an unpopular opinion

I love Gold - which may be a unpopular opinion

I have a feeling people either suit Etoupe OR Gold so it may all be a matter of personal colouring or preference.

How about DH's unpopular opinion? :biggrin:
He thinks Gold is a boring color that you can find pretty much anywhere - Aldo, TJ Maxx, Target :lol:
I’m with your DH on this one, and I would say my unpopular opinion is the “traditional” neutral colors (gold, etoupe, etain, and their shade families) just don’t do anything for me. Oops!

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is I like some of H jewellery made out of horn, but unless a failsafe piece, I wouldn't buy because I don't trust myself not to break it. I just have the horn hair comb.

The H horn/lacquer necklaces are not as fragile as you may think. As an owner of several Duncan & Isidore necklaces
as well as the Isthme earrings it really takes a lot to break/chip the horn. I will say the Duncan can
be more fragile because the big oval links are lacquer & they can chip, fortunately mine haven't & the
lacquer links can be moved around. My SA has helped me with this & the boutique usually has extra
links just in case so the necklace doesn't have to go back to Paris for repairs.
So you may want to give the necklace or earring a go, JMO