What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

I agree.
I hope I survive in posting this:

I have joined tpf because I find enthusiasts of H all around the world here. I find it so delightful and interesting to discover both the common and different preferred products/colours/sizes all around the world, and the shared joy when purchased and how they are truly appreciated.

Unfortunately, according to my personal perception while checking the threads (e.g. Shopping in Paris, how to maintain relationship) , I now find the question "how to get B/K/C" quite often and maybe ab bit too often meant by this in pretty much:

Please answer the question, and please take (if necessary again) YOUR time, because
I have no desire/no time

a) to search the threads offered here
b) not even to use the magnifying glass/search function
c) especially not to read the endless number of - repetitions - due to not reading the answers often only a few pages before - answers in the thread,

d) but I don't want to spend money, like you/the others, on
aa) purchasing other products from H
bb) spending a premium to resellers
cc) though I do would like to find the exceptional somebody who succeeded not to spend aa) or bb) and please share.

And according to the numbers of boutique new/fresh bags being resold in the last (about) 2 years:
Maybe even sometimes to top it off:
Don't want to invest anything because I want to sell immediately or soon or in near future, either to make really big cash or at least no loss if selling in future out of it.

The lottery system in Paris: wasn't it created to provide equal opportunities for everyone who wouldn't otherwise want to prespend on H products?
But it seems to be almost all about: how can I get around it in my favour? And then getting upset (dissapointed I do understand of course, but upset, sometimes aggressiv??? even towards SAs???), when - in a lottery!!! - others are lucky and the person "playing in the lottery" is not.

Sigh.
I completely agree. Another change I have noticed when I read through long forgotten threads from 2012 and prior is that the question about financing and saving up for the dream bag has been nearly completed replaced with all the questions you listed. My unpopular opinion is that people should still be able to save with the goal of buying their dream bag without having to also save up to five times the value of the bag just to potentially be offered a bag.

Another opinion of mine is that with now people experiencing having to prespend so much, I no longer just carry my Kelly on my shoulder, but to some people, I showcase what I have also sitting in my closets and home. Too often now, any compliment or comment I get about one of my bags worn is accompanied with a “how did you get it?” I now just lie and say I use the Paris lottery.

Ok another possibly unpopular opinion....
For all those bleating desperately about just wanting a quota bag and ONLY wanting a quota bag with minimum pre-spend and hassle If they want a K/B/C that desperately why not go the gently used pre-owned route from trusted re-sale sites and get authentication from Bababebi ?
Thats the best way to get the exact bag, in the exact colour try out the style even use for a few years then re-consign.
I know 2nd hand isn't for everyone but to my mind its a great way to scratch that itch, road-test a size and style without paying a premium to a reseller.
Just a thought....

I have been actively reading TPF in the last two years when I wanted to start shopping with Hermes. I started with the same naive question but quickly realised the options and what matters to me. I decided to start with my home shop.

While reading the forum in order to understand my preferences, I note that there were interesting threads such as 'high street' outfit with Hermes, and other appreciation threads to show how one can maximize the use of items. And it helped me narrow options down to items that suits ME.

Now, it’s all about acquisition. Desperate, fast, consumptive acquisition. Worse, it's just words with no eye candy!

My unpopular opinion is, unfortunately, the content of this forum is getting too repetitive. I feel that the fun of Hermes thread, since items are so rare and limited, is to see what others have. Without it, it’s not so fun.
Totally agree with you. I loved the Hermes and cheap outfits thread, post pics of your slouchy Birkin etc so much.

Now it's all about can I apply for an appointment with several forms of ID and what did you wear when you were offered your bag!

I do understand someone totally new to TPF asking a question without using the search function. But longer term members looking for ways to maximise the number of bags they can get in a year / people thinking that time of the day / day of the week / colour of your pants / or the worst one.. can I have the name of your magic SA drive me nuts!
I should just stop reading the Paris thread altogether but the occasional happy story makes me keep popping back :facepalm:

I have been actively reading TPF in the last two years when I wanted to start shopping with Hermes. I started with the same naive question but quickly realised the options and what matters to me. I decided to start with my home shop.

While reading the forum in order to understand my preferences, I note that there were interesting threads such as 'high street' outfit with Hermes, and other appreciation threads to show how one can maximize the use of items. And it helped me narrow options down to items that suits ME.

Now, it’s all about acquisition. Desperate, fast, consumptive acquisition. Worse, it's just words with no eye candy!

My unpopular opinion is, unfortunately, the content of this forum is getting too repetitive. I feel that the fun of Hermes thread, since items are so rare and limited, is to see what others have. Without it, it’s not so fun.
I used to really enjoy the H and cheap outfits thread, I might post something just to bump it!

Ok another possibly unpopular opinion....
For all those bleating desperately about just wanting a quota bag and ONLY wanting a quota bag with minimum pre-spend and hassle If they want a K/B/C that desperately why not go the gently used pre-owned route from trusted re-sale sites and get authentication from Bababebi ?
Thats the best way to get the exact bag, in the exact colour try out the style even use for a few years then re-consign.
I know 2nd hand isn't for everyone but to my mind its a great way to scratch that itch, road-test a size and style without paying a premium to a reseller.
Just a thought....
What those posters seem to want is a bag to their exact spec at retail, with no pre-spend and definitely no bothering with tedious stuff like forming a human connection with an SA and demonstrating an appreciation of the brand.

When I read those sorts of posts I get Violet Beauregard “I want it, and I want it now!”.

I’m with the Della cav. And I look like a hobbit in comparison.

@Prada Prince , you don’t do so badly for yourself ; you get a ton of Hermes goodies :drinks:

+1, with @BVBookshop . It’s one reason why so many of us take long breaks :smile:
Haha maybe not a ton. Couple of kilos perhaps? LOL. I’m grateful enough as it is to have a Birkin that I love, let alone getting any more. I’m hoping to slowly build up a collection in due course. But if that doesn’t happen, c’est la vie. I’m definitely driving the cost per wear of my B down for sure!

So here are mines, and please forgive me !

Unpopular opinion 1 :
Be the change you want to see in TPF!
start your own thread ( or use an existing one like @paula24jen just did ) about your love for H, , history, your favorite leather, your most used H product etc.... Post pics and share the love for H...

Unpopular opinion 2 :
There is no shame to only want a Birkin or a kelly!
As it is the most known bags from H, for some people it is the starting point. Later they can develop some love for other H products.. Or not!
Agreed one need to be realistic about the possibilities

Unpopular opinion 3 to stay on topic:
This thread is about unpopular Hermes opinion.. like : the twillaine can be very stylish once you know how to style it !
It is not about other members bad manners or desperation to get a bag, even if those bad manners or the lazyness to read some pages, can be frustrating

Moving a bit away from how the topics on tpf have changed to a (I feel) unpopular opinion about how Hermès has changed over the years (and not for the better IMO) in regards to how they have removed great functionalities from bags. I don’t get the hype about the new Herbag, the new straps and I certainly don’t get why not more people complain about the Evelyne III strap for PM, GM and TGM (my SA was very surprised when I carefully told her about my dislike :angel:).

I don’t like the current version of the Herbag and feel this is a step back. I really miss the first version of Herbags from the 90s where you had two bodies for each Herbag. You could even choose a body in Vibrato :love:. I am still mad that they discontinued it. Why change this great bag which can be transformed by the customer into a different looking bag and make it into a static bag? I still don’t understand why there is this heavy metallic structure if you cannot change the body of the bag anyway. What is the purpose of it? I don’t need back pain because of a bag or did I miss something and H is now in the business for back support products?
Same for the Evelyne - I was happy that they did not stick with the Evelyne 1 version and added an adjustable strap to it. This is and the back pocket is what this bag needed but I certainly cannot understand why the adjustable strap is sooo long. I’m average height and I can’t shorten the strap anymore without having it altered. I once had it on the longest possible length just to see where the bag would sit - I don’t need a knee bag:eek: It would have been nicer to not just think about models as customers and include average sized customers in the target group (not everyone has legs as Elle McPherson).

Another thing I also miss is the plain unicolor canvas strap that you could order for your Kelly. I don’t want a Evelyne canvas strap on a Kelly, I think it totally messes up the look and I get very quickly tired by these canvas straps with patterns.

I’m still many many years away from being in my 80s, so saying that everything was better in the past is weird but recently this is how I feel with H.

Edit: I feel like this is an unpopular opinion. If it is not then I will feel more like my age again ;)

I'm pretty sure that the following is very unpopular (based on the current craze). I'd rather have a Garden Party 30 than a Birkin 30. The Birkin has never felt ideal for me, while my Garden Party (its design and ease of use) suits me better. I have one GP, and I'd like another at some point.

But, I've only rarely carried anything but a crossbody bag for the past several years, and it's kind of liberating! :smile: I'm not sure why I was carting around all those extra things. :P I'm sure I'll go back to handheld at some point, but for now, while still not typically traveling far from home, I'm enjoying traveling light! :broom:

I had to decamp to Longchamp for my crossbody bags. I know many love the smaller Evelyne and other smaller Hermes crossbody options, and/or the ease of use of the PM Evelyne, but I needed something in size right in between all those. Plus, the smaller Hermes crossbody bags often have straps that are too short, and I dislike the hardware on the PM Evelyne (uncomfortable)!

What those posters seem to want is a bag to their exact spec at retail, with no pre-spend and definitely no bothering with tedious stuff like forming a human connection with an SA and demonstrating an appreciation of the brand.

When I read those sorts of posts I get Violet Beauregard “I want it, and I want it now!”.
I think part of what they want is the experience of being offered and buying a bag at Hermès. But they want only the B or the K, nothing else and assume that there must be some simple way to get one.
I suppose that, in some way, it’s like the eternal search for a quick weight loss fix…sadly I found that there is no quick fix…I simply have to eat less :shrugs:
Lucky for me, it turns out that H is about so much more than just the Bs and the Ks…no quick sprint to a new bag, but a long extended journey through beautiful silks and shoes.

Unpopular opinion perhaps: I really just want to see pics of everyone’s stuff, not read all the details.

Another thing I also miss is the plain unicolor canvas strap that you could order for your Kelly. I don’t want a Evelyne canvas strap on a Kelly, I think it totally messes up the look and I get very quickly tired by these canvas straps with patterns.
Unless I misunderstood, we can still order canvas strap for Kelly. I am waiting for mine: canvas with brushed HW.

Unpopular opinion: like you, I do not like Evelyne strap on Kelly. The pointy leather and tab vs. Round one on Kelly annoys me. Don’t get me started on clashing hardware (brushed vs smooth, PHW vs GHW) or the hardware shape difference.
Obviously I have nothing better to worry about :P

I completely agree. Another change I have noticed when I read through long forgotten threads from 2012 and prior is that the question about financing and saving up for the dream bag has been nearly completed replaced with all the questions you listed. My unpopular opinion is that people should still be able to save with the goal of buying their dream bag without having to also save up to five times the value of the bag just to potentially be offered a bag.

Another opinion of mine is that with now people experiencing having to prespend so much, I no longer just carry my Kelly on my shoulder, but to some people, I showcase what I have also sitting in my closets and home. Too often now, any compliment or comment I get about one of my bags worn is accompanied with a “how did you get it?” I now just lie and say I use the Paris lottery.
I also do that, and the worst part is that with the birkin and kelly and a bunch of other icons of the brand are so well known you can expect those questions and comments even from young teens or random (and shameless imo..) people in the street. It has made a few items almost completely unwearable to me which is a shame, like I can't really figure out where to wear a some of the most recognizable items comfortably anymore so they sit and rot.

As for how tpf was back then, some thing were better, but it also had its weird moments, knee pad jokes were a thing for a while and not to mention wild stuff like the 'nude with my LV (?)' thread or something like that.