What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

Ha :lol:some of you made me laugh with the journey thing and thanks I’m a bit under the weather so needed that. I guess to me a “ journey” into a new brand would mean learning about its history and pieces as someone who is a handbag hobbyist not about actually acquiring pieces, well for me anyways. To each their own of course.

Last edited:
Barf. I just used the word haul the other day and now I’m cringing :lol: —I usually only use that word when shopping at thrift store.

The word “Journey” is so overused. I just feel people add this non-sensical weight to it as if they have been hand picked by the Hermès gods themselves and now they’re on their path to enlightenment —Honey, they just want your money. Being offered a bag is just an insanely creative way to incentivize in-store purchases by creating an imaginary scarcity of these quota sacs. I bet you if we lined up all the Kelly etoupes of the world we could circle the globe at least 46 times.

“Score!” This must be some kind of sports thing? I dare you ladies to scream out GOAAAALLLLL!!! and run around the store when being offered a new bag. Btw, I can’t throw or catch a sports ball of any kind.
Thank you for not taking offence! The problem I have with "haul" and "score" etc is that they make h shopping like competitive sport! it's just IMO, H (or other luxury) shopping is a leisure activity and should be enjoyed at a leisurely pace and not a hoarding exercise.

Thank you for not taking offence! The problem I have with "haul" and "score" etc is that they make h shopping like competitive sport! it's just IMO, H (or other luxury) shopping is a leisure activity and should be enjoyed at a leisurely pace and not a hoarding exercise.

Competitive sport lol. That made me think of the football like maneuvers one needs to employ when making their way to the LV boutique in Saks 5th Ave in order to get through the crowds of in awe tourist during the peak holiday season, I speak from experience.

Sounds to me like wanting to experiment with soft-drug-silks and hoping to end-up a complete H-addict - end of the road: I have to score Himalayan croc/diamond B 25 NOW!!!! :hysteric:
Whenever someone says "score" for a bag, I imagine them trying to sniff it.

Barf. I just used the word haul the other day and now I’m cringing :lol: —I usually only use that word when shopping at thrift store.

The word “Journey” is so overused. I just feel people add this non-sensical weight to it as if they have been hand picked by the Hermès gods themselves and now they’re on their path to enlightenment —Honey, they just want your money. Being offered a bag is just an insanely creative way to incentivize in-store purchases by creating an imaginary scarcity of these quota sacs. I bet you if we lined up all the Kelly etoupes of the world we could circle the globe at least 46 times.

“Score!” This must be some kind of sports thing? I dare you ladies to scream out GOAAAALLLLL!!! and run around the store when being offered a new bag. Btw, I can’t throw or catch a sports ball of any kind.
First Santa Claus, then the Tooth Fairy and now you tell me the H gods don't exist?!!!

My unpopular opinion - I don't understand why H adds diamonds to some bags. For me, the ultimate sophistication comes from the materials used, the timelessness of the designs of a B or K and the craftsmanship. For me, additional "frills" (no matter how exquisite/expensive they may be) actually disctract from these qualities. But maybe I am just a basic b*&%$ :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You're right, you're a complete basic B(irkin) :lol:How about this version with citrines (or was it sapphires?) for Fall 2021?

kelly-stones.jpeg

Whenever someone says "score" for a bag, I imagine them trying to sniff it.

First Santa Claus, then the Tooth Fairy and now you tell me the H gods don't exist?!!!

You're right, you're a complete basic B(irkin) :lol:How about this version with citrines (or was it sapphires?) for Fall 2021?

View attachment 5070257

There are vintage precedents for creating hw out of precious metals (even though apart from their Pierre Hardy bags H uses their normal metal and plating) and setting stones in hardware, some look fabulous if done right. Basically, I'm saying it's not a new thing. The letters (initials) on my croc Pullman are gold (early 1950s).

I wouldn't like diamond-studded hw unless it was on a small, evening size bag, and absolutely 'non' if the stones were put in after market, but I could go for that coloured box with coloured stones.

View attachment 5070257

Is it bad that I think this citrine strap is gorgeous? :cursing: It is a complete 180 from what I think about diamond bags. I am sorry, but the diamonds make Bs look like bags you can get at the local Strawberry or Ross. Who would have thought precious stones might have the ability to cheapen the look of a bag.

Last edited:
There are vintage precedents for creating hw out of precious metals (even though apart from their Pierre Hardy bags H uses their normal metal and plating) and setting stones in hardware, some look fabulous if done right. Basically, I'm saying it's not a new thing. The letters (initials) on my croc Pullman are gold (early 1950s).

I wouldn't like diamond-studded hw unless it was on a small, evening size bag, and absolutely 'non' if the stones were put in after market, but I could go for that coloured box with coloured stones.
I’ve seen the gold initials on a croc bag, it was exquisite. That’s one thing I would splurge on if money were no object.

Agree! I would definitely not go for after-market anything when it comes to H. Even when done by H, I wasn’t a fan of the diamond hardware. Those sapphires... :drool:

This is all in good fun :smile: no one should take offense…. I hope.

My journey with tPF has been unlike any other forum before. I believe I truly scored when it comes to finding such lovely people to chat and b*tch about random things that we find all unpopular. Can’t wait to share my latest haul with y’all.

My personal and probably very unpopular opinion:
For me, H-bags are bags and though very much appreciated, they have always been and still are commodities, intended to be used. Even if I don't "like" scratches, to me leaving stickers on the hardware is like leaving price tags in clothes or could make one think it means preserving the bag because it will/needs to be sold.

Ok..So this is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion so Please forgive me for it but speak out I must!
I wanted a Birkin in the late 80's....
This has evolved to the HAC which I feel just looks better on me (the slightly elongated proportion just feels 'right')...
BUT the overexposure of the Birkin on social media and the obsessiveness of people wanting to 'score'( :sick: ) one has actually put me right off the idea of even owning a HAC.
The over-exposure and obsession of it being a 'must have item' has to my mind cheapened its desirability.
Therefore I'm putting my HAC dreams on hold and concentrating on going for the more under the radar mainly discontinued bags that I love.
and when I do eventually come back to the idea of getting a Hac (or Birkin) I'm going to get a wonderfully aged softened much loved one that has had a life and shouts "I'm not an IT bag! I'm not a status symbol! I'm a beautifully crafted item made in a classic design out of a heritage leather and I've carried lots of "stuff" and will go on carrying more "stuff" and still be loved scratches, slouch and all"