What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

Influencers may pose for a sec, but longtime carried full/heavy, it damages the bag, especially the handle. Anyone buying the same preloved later will inherit the structural damage. Birkins can be carried open like a simple bag, but a Kelly isn't designed to be carried the
For these people, getting a herbag would be a better choice. I know it used to be called "poor man's kelly", but structurally, it's a much better fit for being carried with the flap open. It's a much more versatile and carefree bag than a kelly. My unpopular opinion is that I like using a herbag more than a kelly in real life!

I think that we should stop pussyfooting around and come down firmly on the side that it is unwise to carry any bag unopened, regardless of pedigree or cost, be it Walmart or Hermes.
It is not a matter of personal taste or style;
it is a warning that to do so is taking an undue risk and tempting criminals. In the same way that you look up and down along a road before you cross it - not because that is what you have been told to do, but because you know the risk of having an accident if you don't.

I hadn't realized this until recent posts but I guess this is an unpopular opinion...but I don't consider the "security" aspects of a bag's closure before buying it. So when considering to close or not close a Kelly or other H bag, this doesn't factor into my thinking at all. I have no problem carrying my Lindys unzipped and unfastened if it's convenient to do so and I never fully buckle my Halzans. That's because the thieves where I live are not subtle. If someone is going to rob you, you're getting held up at knife or gunpoint. I never hear about someone being pickpocketed but I do know several people who've been robbed in more overt, violent fashion.
So I don't really care to fuss about how a bag is closed, but rather to refrain from carrying a bag that is obviously H in the first place that would make me a target. That's one reason why I love the lesser known H bags.

Okay, I have to confess something… My name is @r luvs h, and I wear my Kellys open sometimes. It all started because I would sometimes overstuff my bags to the point that if I even thought about fastening the touret, the entire bag would probably fall apart. I never could shake the bad habit though, and it has haunted me throughout my life. They say the first step to recovery is admittance, so this is me admitting my truth. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.:heart:

I think I need to join a Kellys Anonymous support group or something after this.:giggle: Also, the Olsen twins did it first!

IMG_8928.JPG IMG_8929.JPG

A longstanding gripe/unpopular opinion:

I don't understand the practice of hoarding Hermès packaging/boxes in one's home for no reason*. It seems a lot of people do this, and it has never made sense to me-- maybe this is because I can’t live with any sort of clutter. Granted, it would be one thing if these people stored their items in said boxes (which I actually do for some of my silks), but 1) this is pretty much never the case AND 2) these are often the same people who store their bags upright, out in the open… so maybe they are already too far gone. In short, having human-sized stacks of empty, orange boxes in one's home as “decoration” does not a well-decorated home make.:coolio:

*Empahasis on “for no reason”. I am not talking about people who save the annual theme bolduc ribbons, people trying to understand the changes in Hermès packaging over time, etc.

I think that we should stop pussyfooting around and come down firmly on the side that it is unwise to carry any bag unopened, regardless of pedigree or cost, be it Walmart or Hermes.
It is not a matter of personal taste or style;
it is a warning that to do so is taking an undue risk and tempting criminals. In the same way that you look up and down along a road before you cross it - not because that is what you have been told to do, but because you know the risk of having an accident if you don't.

Some bags don't close period - should no one carry those? An open tote with no option to close should just be off limits to own and use completely?

Also keep in mind some of us live in areas where pickpocketing or however you wish to refer to it is absolutely not a thing.

I understand personal safety and am certainly not supporting the idea of having cash and valuables just blowing around in the wind, but the rigidity surrounding this sentiment is again confusing to me.

I don't understand the practice of hoarding Hermès packaging/boxes in one's home for no reason*. It seems a lot of people do this, and it has never made sense to me-- maybe this is because I can’t live with any sort of clutter. Granted, it would be one thing if these people stored their items in said boxes (which I actually do for some of my silks), but 1) this is pretty much never the case AND 2) these are often the same people who store their bags upright, out in the open… so maybe they are already too far gone. In short, having human-sized stacks of empty, orange boxes in one's home as “decoration” does not a well-decorated home make.:coolio:

*Empahasis on “for no reason”. I am not talking about people who save the annual theme bolduc ribbons, people trying to understand the changes in Hermès packaging over time, etc.

Now I have to confess something… My name is @papertiger and have all my H boxes. It makes not sense to me either, but the boxes are nice ones. The big ones make good storage although I don't keep the bags inside (I know a lot of people do). The worst, all my 90 scarf boxes. Most are inside another huge cardboard box just sitting there under the stairs - and I don't understand why I keep them either.

I know that there are scarf collectors who don't wear the scarves but keep them inside boxes, I saw one collector who has a scarf room, every shelf filled with scarf boxes, every one labeled and stacked. I did and could keep them that way when I had wrong 20. When one has more, there's just not enough space, plus, I love them to be visible.

When I can, if I ever can, I will just get rid of all the extra boxes.

Harsh 😂
Hi, I'm Leah and I love to look at my bags, as I rotated them daily I store them on shelves, just makes more sense to me, also it makes me happy to look at my bags.
The boxes are used for storage and kinda make a cute stand for my little lamp in the corner of my Closet. 😘

Some bags don't close period - should no one carry those? An open tote with no option to close should just be off limits to own and use completely?

Also keep in mind some of us live in areas where pickpocketing or however you wish to refer to it is absolutely not a thing.

I understand personal safety and am certainly not supporting the idea of having cash and valuables just blowing around in the wind, but the rigidity surrounding this sentiment is again confusing to me.

that is a fair point and I would admit to being particularly reactive to any sight of lack of care with possessions
assuming a rigid stance is clearer than 'in these circumstances this' or 'in these circumstances that'
common sense often seems to go out of the window
and I would commend looking at the many images of unattended or carelessly open bags shown on this site
but the important word is 'some'
from what a lot of posters write, it would seem that a large proportion of them live in, or frequent, metropolitan areas
where the absence of opportunist crime is not a luxury they enjoy

an open tote requires diligence
and again there are posts on here where users describe the precaution of covering the contents with something or other

Harsh 😂
Hi, I'm Leah and I love to look at my bags, as I rotated them daily I store them on shelves, just makes more sense to me, also it makes me happy to look at my bags.
The boxes are used for storage and kinda make a cute stand for my little lamp in the corner of my Closet. 😘

Kindly fashion this into an unpopular opinion, ty

Latest opinion..
And I'm sure it will be unpopular with some.
I personally find the idea of people so desprate to spend 3k on a 'roadmap' and 'program' of tips on how to secure the purchase (I cant use the term 'score'..If I do I'll feel the need to rinse my mouth out with soapy water) of a handbag costing upwards of 8k really really sickening.
Please give your 3k to a charity, but dont throw it at some nonentity on a get rich quick scheme.
My opinion as a lover of Hermes is.....
These are just handbags, they make us happy, we feel special wearing them mine are symbols of my achievements and hard work and on that basis alone I get great pleasure from owning them.
BUT...they did'nt change my life and I wouldnt beg for one, or get in debt for one.
I wish some people caught up in the hype surrounding the brand at present would just take a step back and realise luxury goods are just that..a luxury.
Not a neccessity.
All this hype and hysteria over luxury stuff we dont actually need is really distasteful.
Its as if Hermes has become a weird cult or religion attracting some kind of bogus 'healers' or 'witchdoctors' promising salvation and healing in the form of a B/K/C if one pays a subscription to said 'healer' or 'expert'
Sorry to be such a downer.

I cant use the term 'score'..If I do I'll feel the need to rinse my mouth out with soapy water
^^^^^^^

'Score', 'haul' and TBH 'quota bag' all leave a bad taste in my mouth...I don't play sports and certainly wouldn't equate spending my money on a bag as 'scoring'. And a 'haul' makes me think of one of the many definitions of the word: 'a large amount of something that has been stolen or is illegal'...presumably we purchase our H items, right?
As for quota bag, I recognize that it may be a 'term of art' in the Hermès world but honestly I'd rather just type out Birkin or Kelly.

^^^^^^^

'Score', 'haul' and TBH 'quota bag' all leave a bad taste in my mouth...I don't play sports and certainly wouldn't equate spending my money on a bag as 'scoring'. And a 'haul' makes me think of one of the many definitions of the word: 'a large amount of something that has been stolen or is illegal'...presumably we purchase our H items, right?
As for quota bag, I recognize that it may be a 'term of art' in the Hermès world but honestly I'd rather just type out Birkin or Kelly.
This is what I think of when I read “score” when talking about bags
Disclaimer: I don’t own any Hermes’ bags but find this threat (and others) interesting