What's your take on fur clothes??

^ Yeah I understand where you're coming from, even I think of myself as somewhat of a hypocrite sometimes. Although I'm vegetarian, I do like leather shoes and bags. I won't hold up a sign protesting fur, but I do what I can to limit my use of animal products. It's kind of like everyone doing what they can for global warming... can't quit everything, but do a little and maybe it will make some difference. I don't know if this makes sense.

i'm exactly the same way!! i don't eat meat or anything with animals in it. i also don't use anything by companies that test on animals, but i do wear leather shoes and bags. my reasoning is quality and the environment. i feel that i can get an expensive quality leather bag that will last for years rather than a bunch of non leather or cheap leather bags that won't last nearly as long and need to be replaced. this is better for the environment as i'm not using as many resources for all those bags. i do the same with shoes. this probably doesn't make sense.

but for fur, i would never wear it. plus i'm allergic. if you think you're going to feel guilty about it, i wouldn't invest in fur.

Ethically, I have no problem with fur. Climate wise, it would be ridiculous for me to own anything fur, save perhaps something with a fur-trimmd collar or hood, because I live in Atlanta.

To each their own.

My mom owns few fur coats that she doesn't wear anymore since its not as cold here in the winter. I don't think its wrong to wear fur coats. Animals are constantly dying for other purposes that benefit us so for me to say OH NO I won't wear fur I would be lying. I truely enjoy my leather items as well so I don't see anything wrong with people buying fur.

I really don't like the look of it too much, it depends I guess. Usually, I don't like the look. I wouldn't preach someone about it though. I think PETA is too extreme and that really bothers me.

I love the look of fur, but cannot bring myself to wear it. Leather on the other hand I have no problem with. I eat beef, so I don't see an animal being killed soley for its pelt as I would with Minks, etc. That being said my MIL does wear fur, but I wouldn't down on her b/c of it.

yep in my experience, fur threads often get heated.

My personal opinion is I would never wear it, fur looks great on my dogs, not me, BUT I would never say to anybody that they should or shouldnt wear anything because that is not my call, or my place. I do think faux fur has improved alot tho so its now a real alternative

I won't wear real fur. I suppose it is somewhat hypocritical because I'll wear leather, but frankly, I feel every bit I can do helps.

I am against fur for clothes, but I would never deface another person's property and I don't lecture others. I think that people ultimately have to do what they're comfortable with and I for one, am not comfortable with fur.

I kinda think that if you eat meat, use leather, but object to fur related issues than it makes you a bit of a hypocrite. I dont mean to cause an arguement but this is just my take on it.

I disagree.

We don't need fur to survive, it is completely unnecessary, but many people struggle to be completely vegetarian (let alone vegan), as we evolved to be omnivorous.

Whilst people still eat meat, the skins of the animals might as well be used, too; as long as the animal is not killed in a more inhumane way, to preserve them (as is the case with rabbits).

Animals that are killed primarily for their skins are often killed in an especially cruel way, to preserve the pelt and often that means skinning them alive! :wtf:

They are also kept in particularly barbaric conditions, as there are no welfare laws to protect them (unlike farmyard animals).

Finally, if you buy fur, you do not, necessarily, know what you are getting. Many fur items (labeled as rabbit or mink, or even faux fur!), when analysed in laboratories, have actually turned out to be made from cats and dogs (which have been skinned alive in China).

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from, your view of things is definately one of the better ones. But the ones that rant and rave and abuse the ones that do and then go and use other anumal products are the ones that are the biggest hypocrites.
Peta, is one of them. They object to cruelty of animals and abuse people who eat animals and wear fur etc, but then they have sent dead animals to people in the mail, used dead animals in campaigns not to mention members of peta have been arrested for killing animals.
"PETA kills 85 percent of the animals it takes in, and finds adoptive homes for just 14 percent. By contrast, the Norfolk SPCA, whose shelter is located less than 4 miles from PETA's headquarters, found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals in 2003."
www.petakillsanimals.com

I don't know the details about all the ant-Peta sites (or all the details about Peta, for that matter), but most of these sites are sponsored by the meat/leather and/or fur industries.

It is wise to not believe everything you read on the internet! :biggrin:

I don't mind trim on certain clothes or bags (I admit I have a limited LV with chinchilla trim that I LOVE) but I wouldn't want to wear a full fur anything. I'm not really a fan, though it's a personal decision.

It pains me when I hear people equating animal rights with Peta. Peta is considered quite extreme even among animal rights supporters yet because it gets so much media coverage that a lot of people assume animal issues = Peta. Animal rights is so much more than fur or meat, yet other important issues (like puppy mill, and zoo, research, and homeless animal protections) get buried in the midst of media sensationalism.

There is a bit of Catch-22 element - Fur is already such a high dollar commodity that people will do all kinds of things, including very cruel things, to both animals and humans in order to pocket those dollars.

However, if we say that only if an animal is killed for its meat is it OK to use the fur and/or skin, we immediately make the price of fur (and leather) rise even further, therefore increasing the incentive for people to obtain it by whatever means in order to sell it.

Cruelty, from direct and directly indirect commission of cruel acts, to countenance to complicity, regardless of the species of the victim, is almost always a matter of a simple business decision.

As for he who would stand between a rich man and his next dollar, whether he is a hero or a fool will be a subject of lively debate, even long after his funeral.

I kinda think that if you eat meat, use leather, but object to fur related issues than it makes you a bit of a hypocrite. I dont mean to cause an arguement but this is just my take on it.
I agree.

If somehow it became socially acceptable to kill Zambian or Azeri children and eat their meat, I wouldn't start wearing their skins and claim it's okay because it's a "by-product." If one believes that killing animals is wrong, yet contributes to the industry while claiming their moral superiority for not eating meat, they are hypocrites.

If I believed that animals deserved to live out their lives in the way humans do, I would not want to participate or in any way benefit from their slaughter, just like I believe it's unjust to knowingly benefit from human slaughter.

I think fur can look awesome on clothes - but I would only wear faux. It's not the thought of fur itself that bothers me (I eat meat and wear leather) but the way that the animals are skinned alive and all.