What's your take on fur clothes??

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
I love fashion. But I also live animals. And often, I like the look of clothes or hoodies with real fur in them, but (because of this I haven't bought any yet, I don't know if I should or not, but I haven't yet.) I love animals and I work with them every day as my job. What's your take on wearing fur??? It's all over the runways, and I can say that some of it is pretty, but I think maybe I might feel guilty wearing fur because I love animals too. What's your take on this?? Do you wear fur or not?? Please explain your reasons. ;)

Hmmm, I agree with you, fur does look beautiful on clothes, but it can be cruel. But no matter what curcumstance NEVER buy fur that has come from the Asian countries, because in these countries they dont have any laws that prevent cruelty to animals, it is quite disgusting what they do over there. But fur that comes from countries like Italy, America, Paris etc. they have laws to prevent cruelty to animals, so fur that has come from those countries has been procured in the most humane way.
Hope that helps.

faux - yes
real - no

i don't mind leather, but personally, i can't bring myself to buy or wear real fur. I actually freaked out when i was at nordstroms looking at bags and my mom commented on the real fur. i thought it was fake.

I don't have a problem with fur or leather. I love animals but I feel that some of them were put on this earth to be eaten and worn. That's just my take on things. I certainly wouldn't wear a Shihtzu jacket but I'll wear a mink.

I'm not going to lie, I love the look of it. But I love animals so I refuse to wear real fur until the way the fur is obtained becomes more humane.

I kinda think that if you eat meat, use leather, but object to fur related issues than it makes you a bit of a hypocrite. I dont mean to cause an arguement but this is just my take on it.

^ Yeah I understand where you're coming from, even I think of myself as somewhat of a hypocrite sometimes. Although I'm vegetarian, I do like leather shoes and bags. I won't hold up a sign protesting fur, but I do what I can to limit my use of animal products. It's kind of like everyone doing what they can for global warming... can't quit everything, but do a little and maybe it will make some difference. I don't know if this makes sense.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from, your view of things is definately one of the better ones. But the ones that rant and rave and abuse the ones that do and then go and use other anumal products are the ones that are the biggest hypocrites.
Peta, is one of them. They object to cruelty of animals and abuse people who eat animals and wear fur etc, but then they have sent dead animals to people in the mail, used dead animals in campaigns not to mention members of peta have been arrested for killing animals.
"PETA kills 85 percent of the animals it takes in, and finds adoptive homes for just 14 percent. By contrast, the Norfolk SPCA, whose shelter is located less than 4 miles from PETA's headquarters, found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals in 2003."
www.petakillsanimals.com

I wouldn't wear real fur but I do like faux fur, although that article that came out at the bbc has made me nervous about buying faux fur also. I looked at some videos of how they get it years ago and it has put me off it forever. It's each to their own though-everyone has to do what's right for them.

if you wear leather but wont wear fur you are a hypocrit in my books. i wear both but most of my fur is vintage, my gran and her sisters have loads that i am slowly inheriting.

I have a faux fur-lined hoodie, and I loooove it! It's so soft and warm! I think if it was real fur I wouldn't like it as much as I do. Plus, it'd probably smell a little like wet dog. :throwup: However, I do like some fur coats, and own a vintage fur.

As I get older, I find that I am trending away from animal products in clothing.

Not really a conscious thing, though I do find the wearing of animal fur distasteful, so much so that a while ago I gave away the few furs I had, although none of them had actually been purchased by me, and by the time I got them, there was certainly nothing I could do to save the animal.

Yet I can't help but agree with lilj that there is a certain hypocrisy in making impasssioned declarations on the subject of fur with a cheeseburger in one hand and a leather bag on one's arm, but then my own personal view is that there is also a certain hypocrisy in ceasing to eat meat and use leather on the grounds that they come from living things - so what are plants, chopped liver?

I guess I don't feel qualified to set myself up as some sort of authority or determiner of which life forms are or are not sentient beings, or beings more worthy of protection from aggression than other beings, etc.

My personal preference would be not to use eat anything that is or was "alive," but even though I have low blood pressure, a diet that consisted of only salt would really be pushing that envelope...