What's your reaction?

restricter

Beware the BIN Paw
O.G.
Apr 25, 2007
I have an item listed that is identical to one sold just last week. I listed it at the same price, just to see if it would sell.

Today, I received a message asking if I might accept less. The prospective buyer is in Russia. I pondered whether I might and browsed her feedback to discover she's the one who bought the identical item.

I politely told her that I'm not considering offers at this time.

Did I just avoid a potential land mine?

I have an item listed that is identical to one sold just last week. I listed it at the same price, just to see if it would sell.

Today, I received a message asking if I might accept less. The prospective buyer is in Russia. I pondered whether I might and browsed her feedback to discover she's the one who bought the identical item.

Impossible to say. Would depend on what the item in question was. Have both parties left feedback for the previous sale?

She could also be a reseller. I have a few resellers/customers from Russia. They buy to resell. Sometimes identical item in several sizes. Other times they may have specific orders from their customers.

She could also be a reseller. I have a few resellers/customers from Russia. They buy to resell. Sometimes identical item in several sizes. Other times they may have specific orders from their customers.

Quite possible..

There are many sellers who buy/sell multiples of the same items.. It could be a gift
or perhaps a request from client

Don't see anything here that is suspicious

Given the number of TPF members who buy multiples of an item, including scarves, it's not suspicious per se. It could even be a situation as simple as, she's the one among her friends who buys on eBay, and more than one wants that scarf. You can't know.

You are of course within rights to decline an offer on any item not listed with BO.

I can't really put my finger on why, but this would make me tense as well, Restricter. But I have reservations about international transactions, primarily due to the difficulty of tracking packages adequately. Of course, maybe I am just skittish today as one of my packages was apparently stolen from the building lobby on Monday...

If it were another country with less of a reputation for postal fraud and corruption, I might be apt to allow the purchase. (I did ship one package to Russia without incident but my item wasn't nearly as expensive as yours. That was in 2010.)

If a Russian buyer approached me today to request to buy from me, I think I'd politely decline.