What's your favorite RM/other purse to take to work?

cat9

Dec 30, 2007
A week or so ago I posted asking advice about an interview bag; I was concerned about the MAB w/ new hardware being too gold-bling-y after trying it on w/ a suit, and thanks to TPF advice went with a nondescript, rectangular black leather bag. Anddd... I GOT THE JOB!!!!! :sweatdrop: Phew! First job after college and I'm quite psyched actually to be suiting up, LOL. Looove the look of a suit.

Anyway, now comes the hard part: finding a bag that is...

a.) appropriate for a super-conservative, super-corporate environment (so no studs, bright colors or blingy hardware)

b.) large enough for files/possibly laptop, and

c.) ideally lovely and simple enough to go with everything, yet not be boring.

The suits I own so far are black, black w/ tiny white pinstripe, and a soft charcoal grey. I'll prob. be sticking to a really neutral palette. Any ideas for an RM *OR* any purse from another brand that would meet this criteria?? Oh right, and forgot d.) ideally not over $700.

Thanks in advance!!!

First, CONGRATS on your job!

I would say the Market Tote! Mine is a fabulous work bag and holds files. Unfortunately as I have mentioned elsewhere, the handles on mine have started bending (again!) so I would not suggest putting a laptop in it. But it is good for files. I wear it with suits all the time and it looks great.

Here's a pic of mine:

attachment.php

Hopefully starting with the next release the handles will be more sturdy, I think it's a fabulous bag for the office! (If your office is really conservative you might want to not use the scarf.)

Another piece of advice....when starting a new job, I always wait a few weeks to buy a new bag, and take a look around to see what the other women in the office are wearing, esp. people above me in the "food chain" who are well-respected. Not to say that you have to copy them, but it should give you a good idea of how conservative and/or funky your office style is, and what you can get away with purse-wise and fashion-wise.

Enjoy your new job!

Oooh. I'd forgotten how gorgeous that tote is! It'd probably be best in black, huh? Would look good with all kinds of suits besides browns (which I'm not planning to buy anyway). Thanks for the rec!!

Yes -- mine goes well with black, purple, green and even dark navy suits with no problems.

If you get the black Market Tote I suggest getting the latest release in Noir or another black -- the one I got, Night, is a softer leather and not quite as sturdy.

Good luck :smile:

Hi Cat! First off, congrats on the job!

I love the Market Tote(don't have one yet) and think it would be a good choice. Another option from RM would be the Beau Tote - it sounds pretty roomy and is also available in black. From the pictures, it appears to have very simple, minimal hardware as well.

Good luck!

First, CONGRATS on your job!

I would say the Market Tote! Mine is a fabulous work bag and holds files. Unfortunately as I have mentioned elsewhere, the handles on mine have started bending (again!) so I would not suggest putting a laptop in it. But it is good for files. I wear it with suits all the time and it looks great.

Here's a pic of mine:

attachment.php

Hopefully starting with the next release the handles will be more sturdy, I think it's a fabulous bag for the office! (If your office is really conservative you might want to not use the scarf.)

Another piece of advice....when starting a new job, I always wait a few weeks to buy a new bag, and take a look around to see what the other women in the office are wearing, esp. people above me in the "food chain" who are well-respected. Not to say that you have to copy them, but it should give you a good idea of how conservative and/or funky your office style is, and what you can get away with purse-wise and fashion-wise.

Enjoy your new job!

ITA...Good Advice HITCH

Last edited:

Enjoy your new job!

Somehow I just saw this LOL! Yes, I think I might do that - I'll keep the rather boring black bag for the first bit till I get a better grasp on the environment. I did notice when interviewing w/ the CEO that she was carrying a lovely Bottega Veneta (and was incredibly dressed overall, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous - damnnn). But yeah, I'm definitely going to err on the safe side.

Thanks for the advice girls and the congratulations (ahhh, I am SO excited!!), and LMK if anyone has other recs! :P

I love my ocean steady for a work bag. I dress conservatively but always carry a fun bag. I have an MJ stella that is a great work bag as well. I will carry a matinee to work but then I need a separate laptop bag which I hate having to do.

I have a pretty relaxed work environment so I can use all of my bags. The style that I have been using the most right now is the Henri.

I don't bring files back and forth so I don't need a very tall bag.. the Henri is great b/c it's stylish yet has very clean lines. I love the strap too and it's very easy to just throw over the shoulder if I need my hands free. Yup. I'm in love! I also use my MAMs a lot too!

I work in a very conservative environment, and I carry whatever color I want, but no bling. You can be creative or unique, but you can't have all the bells and whistles all that the same time...like a sequined fendi spy bag or something!

I have a tangerine matinee, a stone MAM (stone goes with everything) and a hazelnut market tote (my handles just started bending too Hitchcock!)

I also have a black Chloe paddington shopper, a smaller black chloe with the silver horse and horseshoe (Kera or something like that), a fendi monogram tote with a bright blue pallazo printed on the sides I use for carrying work around, a brown crocodile, a ralph Lauren collection natural tan python, a green Sang A python, a red luella susie satchel, a brown heavily studded B & De garbo, a dark purple marni envelope tote, an ivory deerskin downtown and about a half a dozen clutches. (I have a few other bags, but I don't remember anymore. I sold most of them a year ago on fleabay!)

If you said I could only keep one, I'd keep the Sang A for its beauty, but for practical purposes, I'd say that the RL python shoulder bag is more neutral and work approrpriate. So is the stone MAM.

Check out on luxcouture.com the python totes they have for under 600 in several colors, including some neutrals. http://www.luxcouture.com/products/details.php?ProductId=918

As for RM, I might go with a black market tote, or maybe the dark brown duo (check luna boston). The cloud gray Market tote is also great!

But as I said, I wear all of those colors, but then I've been working for 18 years, so no one would say a word to me. I agree you should try to be conservative when you are starting out. Good luck!