What's your favorite movie classic?

I'm a HUGE fan of the classics. So if you don't mind I'm going to geek out on you for a sec:P

ON THE WATERFRONT
!!!!!!! Best film in black and white, hands down!

HUD - Contemporary "western" (no guns, no duels, no sherrifs, it just set in texas on a ranch) from 1960 With Paul Newman, also one of the best movies ever made. A consumate masterpiece.

SUNSET BOULEVARD - its almost as if this movie invented the movies, it sure feels like it.

STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE - no words neccessary.

Those are the best, but these definitely need to be seen too:

ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE - yeah, i don't need to tell you! I could say it's too 'perfect' for modern times, but I'd be lying - it still works. I want to marry George Bailey!

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY - I think Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr are the weakest of the stories, which says alot. This film totally belongs to Montgomery Clift. If you've never seen him in anything I promise you, he's going to own you after this one. Better than Dean, almost as good as Brando.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - Frank Sinatra can actually act. Really well. Great story of a drug addict who is card dealer trying to stay off of heroin.

THE HUSTLER - If you've seen Color of Money, Paul Newman is the same character he was in that movie, just 25 years younger. This movie is way better than color of money. Totally cool, dark, just awesome. Newman has the best batting average if any actor almost. He's been in more stellar films than anyone. Which brings me to:

COOL HAND LUKE - Must see, even if you hate anything prison related. It is so endlessly endearing without even a drop of melodrama or overt sentiment.

and I'm gonna add

THE ROSE TATTOO - overall this is not a GREAT movie (burt lancaster is terribly miscast and tennessee williams has written far better stories) but everyone needs to see it. If you don't know who Anna Magnani is, I didn't either before this. But this is woman is the best actress who ever lived, no exagerattion. She's fierce and crazy and totally italian she absolutely burns this one down. The first half of the movie is just her. (she's in my icon BTW). She was also in THE FUGITIVE KIND with marlon brando. That one is a must see as well.

Oh I soooo love Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (Anything with Paul Newman, he is the man)

The Sound of Music (I love Julie)

Gone with the Wind

GIANT (E. Talylor, James Dean, Rock Hudson) Great Epic

I like almost all the movies with E. Taylor.

The GodFather

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (man that Bettie Davis was a real Biotch!)

I love anthing on TCM!

Casablanca
Singin' in the Rain
Citizen Kane
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sunset Boulevard
Modern Times
The Great Dictator
City Lights

... ahhh I have so many but these are my top 8!:biggrin:

I'm a classic movie junkie! Probably 90% of the movies we watch and own are from the 1930s-1950s. Some of my favorites are:

Casablanca
The Best Years of Our Lives (quite possibly the best movie ever made)
Since You Went Away
White Christmas
High Sierra
Gilda
Double Indemnity
Twelve O'Clock High
So Proudly We Hail
The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music
The Godfather
The Godfather part II

Anything Bogie & Bacall - To Have & Have Not, Dark Passage, The Big Sleep (confusing plot, but great eye candy)

ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE - yeah, i don't need to tell you! I could say it's too 'perfect' for modern times, but I'd be lying - it still works. I want to marry George Bailey!

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY - I think Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr are the weakest of the stories, which says alot. This film totally belongs to Montgomery Clift. If you've never seen him in anything I promise you, he's going to own you after this one. Better than Dean, almost as good as Brando.

Total agreement with both of these - great films.

Hands down: The Wizard of Oz. This may be my favorite movie classic or not. If you want to laugh at something that was never meant to be funny try Niagra! I love Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music as well. It's been ages since I've seen Gone With The Wind, I'll have to watch it again.

Hitchcock's stuff are the best; you can never not cringe and wonder with 'The Birds', which is seriously one of the best I've seen from him ('Psycho' was ruined for me)

His 'Notorious' (Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant) and 'Spellbound' (Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck) and 'North by Northwest' (Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint) are some of my favourite as well.

Ingrid Bergman is so beautiful, and I love 'Casablanca' (with Bogie) and 'Gaslight' (with Joseph Cotton) and 'Anastasia'.
I love that depressing part of Russian history so much I'm going to name my future daughter Anastasia, pronounced their way. Or Ingrid, because I love her.

A Gary Grant classic outside of 'Arsenic and Old Lace' (which is AWESOME!) is 'His Girl Friday'. It is fast-paced, has a clever script and great chemistry between him and Rosalind Russell. And of course, 'The Philadelphia Story'!

And I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or if you have seen this since this is a literature classic but Greg Peck as Atticus in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was just great. The whole movie put the entire situation back then in such perspective without losing the essence of the book.

I cannot go away from this thread without mentioning PAUL NEWMAN! He was one of my favourite actors of all time, and I still remember the day he died (my friend's birthday and she adores him too). And you have not lived until you have watched 'The Hustler' and 'Cool Hand Luke' because those were some great movies. And of course, 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' is a must-watch; Elizabeth Tyler is just so gorgeous.

I love James Dean's 'Rebel without a Cause'. It seems odd because I'm now the same age as him when he died and I can't imagine just not existing anymore.

And of course, Princess Grace Kelly! Her beautiful costumes in 'Rear Window' are just stunning, and I love 'Dial M for Murder' and 'To Catch a Thief'. It is also depressing when I first knew of her that she died 3 years to the day before I was born (Patrick Swayze of 'Dirty Dancing', which I love so dearly, also died on the same day last year)

Someone mentioned 'Some Like It Hot', and I love it too! Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe... One of my other two favourite people in the world. But for Jack Lemmon, I love 'The Apartment' too (him and Shirley MacLaine). It is kind of the essential movie to watch, in my opinion.

'Breakfast at Tiffany' is good, but 'Roman Holiday' (with Greg Peck) is great! Audrey Hepburn is just so adorable and a delight to watch.

'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?' is also great. And on television shows, I love 'I Love Lucy'; used to watch it on TV in the early mornings before I head off to school!

And obviously, the classic 'Wizard of Oz' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'Singin in the Rain'. And Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' was just so bittersweet.

Pretty much all I can think of for now. I have not actually started on Bogie/Bacall

I am unable to like 'Citizen Kane' and 'Gone with the Wind', but that is just me :smile:

OMG. Are you me???

And there are some great foreign classics as well..
The list goes on and on and one.

High Society has to make the list as well....:love:

Hitchcock's stuff are the best; you can never not cringe and wonder with 'The Birds', which is seriously one of the best I've seen from him ('Psycho' was ruined for me)

His 'Notorious' (Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant) and 'Spellbound' (Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck) and 'North by Northwest' (Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint) are some of my favourite as well.

Ingrid Bergman is so beautiful, and I love 'Casablanca' (with Bogie) and 'Gaslight' (with Joseph Cotton) and 'Anastasia'.
I love that depressing part of Russian history so much I'm going to name my future daughter Anastasia, pronounced their way. Or Ingrid, because I love her.

A Gary Grant classic outside of 'Arsenic and Old Lace' (which is AWESOME!) is 'His Girl Friday'. It is fast-paced, has a clever script and great chemistry between him and Rosalind Russell. And of course, 'The Philadelphia Story'!

And I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or if you have seen this since this is a literature classic but Greg Peck as Atticus in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was just great. The whole movie put the entire situation back then in such perspective without losing the essence of the book.

I cannot go away from this thread without mentioning PAUL NEWMAN! He was one of my favourite actors of all time, and I still remember the day he died (my friend's birthday and she adores him too). And you have not lived until you have watched 'The Hustler' and 'Cool Hand Luke' because those were some great movies. And of course, 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' is a must-watch; Elizabeth Tyler is just so gorgeous.

I love James Dean's 'Rebel without a Cause'. It seems odd because I'm now the same age as him when he died and I can't imagine just not existing anymore.

And of course, Princess Grace Kelly! Her beautiful costumes in 'Rear Window' are just stunning, and I love 'Dial M for Murder' and 'To Catch a Thief'. It is also depressing when I first knew of her that she died 3 years to the day before I was born (Patrick Swayze of 'Dirty Dancing', which I love so dearly, also died on the same day last year)

Someone mentioned 'Some Like It Hot', and I love it too! Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe... One of my other two favourite people in the world. But for Jack Lemmon, I love 'The Apartment' too (him and Shirley MacLaine). It is kind of the essential movie to watch, in my opinion.

'Breakfast at Tiffany' is good, but 'Roman Holiday' (with Greg Peck) is great! Audrey Hepburn is just so adorable and a delight to watch.

'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?' is also great. And on television shows, I love 'I Love Lucy'; used to watch it on TV in the early mornings before I head off to school!

And obviously, the classic 'Wizard of Oz' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'Singin in the Rain'. And Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' was just so bittersweet.

Pretty much all I can think of for now. I have not actually started on Bogie/Bacall

I am unable to like 'Citizen Kane' and 'Gone with the Wind', but that is just me :smile: