What's your “dream wedding” idea?

Thx to all that respond :smile:

So funny of the timing of this topic since my son is getting married in July in a small indoor wedding (40 guests), one maid of honor (no bridesmaids) and one best man, one garden brunch for the bride, not a bridal shower (the bride even said we didn't need to bring gifts) and I was thinking how this was not my ideal wedding as I love a big, festive wedding with bridal parties and pre wedding activities. I understand that they don't want that, but a part of me is sad that they will look back and wish they had done the big celebration like I had....sorry I am venting on here but I would never tell them this in person.

So funny of the timing of this topic since my son is getting married in July in a small indoor wedding (40 guests), one maid of honor (no bridesmaids) and one best man, one garden brunch for the bride, not a bridal shower (the bride even said we didn't need to bring gifts) and I was thinking how this was not my ideal wedding as I love a big, festive wedding with bridal parties and pre wedding activities. I understand that they don't want that, but a part of me is sad that they will look back and wish they had done the big celebration like I had....sorry I am venting on here but I would never tell them this in person.
Nice of you to think that but my guess is they won't be wistful for a "big celebration" in the future. They're doing what they want to do and so glad to know you are supporting them! :heart:

Congratulations to your son and his bride!

I’m getting married in a few weeks and am also keeping things intimate. We’re getting married in his parents backyard with just immediate family. We wanted to elope and save the money for our home purchase, but our parents really wanted to be there. I’m shocked at how expensive just a small backyard wedding is turning out to be. I had a virtual bridal shower last week, which was fun. Part of me is a little sad that I don’t get to celebrate with friends and have the big wedding that I thought that I would have, but I’m excited to be getting married and buying a home with someone that I love. We’ll get to share the moment with our families and have photos that we can keep forever. Now… to figure out how to get 10 lbs off in 2 weeks so that I don’t look fat in all of the photos.

I’m sure that your son and his bride are doing what makes sense for them. Maybe they would like a large wedding, but as adults sometimes we have to make sacrifices and prioritize.

Reactions: SoCalGal2016
congratulations @McLoverly ! My best wishes for your health and happiness! :hugs:

If it were me, no wedding at all. My wedding was for my family and in-laws. (And I am glad that they were happy and enjoyed themselves at the wedding). It's a ceremony that I don't really care too much about because, imo, it's just a public announcement that I'm married. (But I'm sure it's a great way for many of us to dress up and have fun! :biggrin: ) My husband wasn't that big on a wedding either, he just went along with it because it was customary to have one. I really had no preference on any colors, styles, or decoration. No theme because, again, no preference. I'm not really into bachelorette parties, bridal showers, or bridesmaids so I didn't have any of those (I'm sure my girlfriends were happy about that lol). I'd rather have used the money for more practical things.
Long story short, I'm boring lol. :lol:

+1000. IMO it’s not the wedding that’s importantl it’s a marriage afterwards.
In 1991, I had zero preference, so let my MIL pick everything bc she didnt have much of a wedding years ago
we had a party the night before for everyone that flew in, then a relatively small brunch wedding with chamber music quartet
my grandmother wanted to order the dress, so I sent her a pic of a short dress, not a long gown.
DH and I went to bergdorfs and bought his first tux, issey miyake, no cummerbund, no tie. (We loved RTW even then) people didn’t even realize it was a tux, but it was definitely our aesthetic.
My shoes and dress the night before (a party for everyone who flew in) were my favorite part: a british designer Emma Hope for shoes ana a three piece casual Callagan dress that I bought at Alan Bilzarian on Newbury St in Boston.
i always disliked bridal showers, bachelorettes, and stuff, so we didn’t have any
i did ask for a chocolate cake, but somehow got a light non chocolate one. It didn’t matter lol.
we didn’t want gifts or checks, but we got a few, so I wrote out the thank you notes before we left on the honeymoon.

Last edited:
If everything goes well me and my boyfriend will elope in November.
We planned an intimate little ceremony at a Shinto shrine in Tokyo with just two of our closest friends as witnesses.
Being in love with Japan and its culture from a very young age and visiting the country several times, there is nothing I look forward to than the intimate ceremony in the traditional shrine wearing a colorful Kimono.
Being Italian, our families would love a big ceremony, but the boyfriend hates being the center of attention and we would rather spend the money on something else than creating a ceremony and celebration that others like.
Therefore a small ceremony it is and to not end up fighting with our families we won't let them know till afterward when everything is over and done. xD

I got married on the beach with 18 people in attendance and threw a dinner afterward at a very nice restaurant where everyone ordered off the menu.
It was great, the whole thing cost $7k including my dress, I had no regrets except possibly wishing I got a more expensive photographer.

In the end a week after the wedding nobody cared and people who attended still tell me they loved how relaxed it all was.