What's your criteria for adding a new bag or letting a bag go?

diane278

Minimalist Wannabe....
O.G.
Apr 1, 2012
This thread is inspired by a post by CaliforniaGal. What criteria do you use when deciding about adding a new bag to your inventory.....or releasing a currently owned one "back into the wild"? (eBay, giving to a friend, etc)

My attempt at logic may be fleeting, but here goes.

Letting go:
Use: If I don't or haven't used it in a while, it starts getting consideration.
Comfort: If it's not comfortable, it could go.
Color: If I've changed direction in what I'm wearing, it could go.

Buying:
Color: I develop a "need."
Style: I might like a style or want to go back to a style I know works for me.
Space available: I generally try to have a 1-in-1-out rule and if I have "room", I'm a go.

Letting go:

Buying:
Space available: I generally try to have a 1-in-1-out rule and if I have "room", I'm a go.
It all makes sense to me!

Adding a new thing: I've been stalking e-Bay and see something that the seller doesn't know she has. I can't BELIEVE it, and it's usually a killer price, so I snatch it up.

And then I go: Oops. Did it again. Usually out loud. Zoey is used to my outbursts. Good dog.

Generally, I can't budget for something I really want, I just kind of have it in the back of my mind and get it while I can. It's a peculiar game the self-employed sole proprietor plays.

Getting rid of a thing: What do I need the least and can let go with minimum pain. Which isn't much, anymore, seeing as how I don't have much. Ergo, nothing is leaving (well, I did let the Pekary go back; it had too many issues that couldn't be repaired, and bothered me).

What I do have is turning into a collection of Very Special-ness. I'll do a new collection post someday.

Dear God: Please help me stop stalking BV on e-Bay, or make the sellers do their BV homework and list accordingly so I can't afford it. :maniacal laughter heard in background:

Reactions: GucciSparkles

Letting go:

Buying:

I am pretty much the same as you!

Grietje's criteria seems similar to mine....only better thought out. I'm stealing it. Since I am retired, it's not like I need a professional wardrobe at this point in my life, so that needs to be considered, too. Although it's a challenge, I try to keep finances in mind....when I'm tempted to buy something impulsively, I make myself check the market first. Love that iPhone app....except when I hate it!

In retrospect, this is a really embarrassing answer. To buy because it's a killer price; to get rid of something that would be the least painful.

Hmmm. I think I need to step back again and think about other things, like paying bills and putting food on the table.

:doffs hat: See you all in sunny California...:smile:

Adding a new thing: I've been stalking e-Bay and see something that the seller doesn't know she has. I can't BELIEVE it, and it's usually a killer price, so I snatch it up.

And then I go: Oops. Did it again. Usually out loud. Zoey is used to my outbursts. Good dog.

Generally, I can't budget for something I really want, I just kind of have it in the back of my mind and get it while I can. It's a peculiar game the self-employed sole proprietor plays.

Getting rid of a thing: What do I need the least and can let go with minimum pain. Which isn't much, anymore, seeing as how I don't have much. Ergo, nothing is leaving (well, I did let the Pekary go back; it had too many issues that couldn't be repaired, and bothered me).

What I do have is turning into a collection of Very Special-ness. I'll do a new collection post someday.

Dear God: Please help me stop stalking BV on e-Bay, or make the sellers do their BV homework and list accordingly so I can't afford it. :maniacal laughter heard in background:

The thing is, I don't need anything these days. So this notion of need is essentially want rationalized by an alleged hole in the wardrobe.

The one thing I will say about letting one go, is that it's better to sell or donate or give to friend/family than keep and do nothing with it. With bags, I sell. But nothing in my home just sits there and collects dust.

The thing is, I don't need anything these days. So this notion of need is essentially want rationalized by an alleged hole in the wardrobe.

The one thing I will say about letting one go, is that it's better to sell or donate or give to friend/family than keep and do nothing with it. With bags, I sell. But nothing in my home just sits there and collects dust.

I agree with you 100%. If I never buy another bag, the five I currently have will serve all my "needs". Still, I love seeing how others choose and use their BV bag choices. The reveals and modeling pix are posts I especially look forward to, along with the recon posts that Mousse provides (I live vicariously through those visits to BV stores I'll never visit). Of course, I might still add another bag to fulfill a "want".
PS. I gave away several BV's this past spring and I have never regretted it.

Last edited:
I will usually add a new bag if it is a color I don't already own or a style that I really
feel comfortable using & would enjoy having it in another color.

I am more inclined to sell a bag I haven't used & fund a new bag that I know
I will enjoy..

At this point, I have so many bags that it really has to be a standout in some way for
me anyway.

Reactions: GucciSparkles

Wait. WHAAAAAT?

I only buy a bag if I'm willing to get rid of another one (same goes for clothes, shoes, jewelry). My collection covers all situations I would need a bag for, so I don't foresee many future purchases. As it is, I have several bags that are ignored and need to be used more often!

I only buy a bag if I'm willing to get rid of another one (same goes for clothes, shoes, jewelry). My collection covers all situations I would need a bag for, so I don't foresee many future purchases. As it is, I have several bags that are ignored and need to be used more often!
I only have 5 bags and I am only using 2 of them....the gray Veneta and gray pillow. I am determined to use my ardoise, violet and chene venetas this fall. Still, I'd like a Mona Lisa pillow bag, despite my history. I love all my bags....this is definitely a "user FAIL".

Wait. WHAAAAAT?
I know, I know. :cry:I tried to clean it up and repair it, but it was too much for me - it had peeling issues, which I hadn't seen before (but had heard about). In any other Cervo, it would have been OK, but was too obvious in the Pekary. I made the executive decision to invest in the repair of the wallet, and return the Pekary to Fashionphile. Such is life.

^ That is too bad about the Pekary. I once had a chance for a great deal on a seasonal Cervo Hobo, but upon feeling part of the leather, thought I should skip. It had the strangest texture. It felt thin or too delicate on parts of it, including the bottom. Different than on other Cervo Hobos. Maybe it was just for that color or that specific bag. I know if I kept it and it began peeling, I would not be very happy, even if it was a great deal.