What's your "bag philosophy"?

Mar 10, 2007
I know that sounds weird, but I was thinking about this when looking at people's collections.

There seems to be a few schools of thought about bag collecting here:
  1. Whatever is most functional (e.g. goes with everything, most practical)
  2. Designer allegiance!
  3. "It bag" or "Latest It designer" collectors
  4. "Art" collectors/Quality collectors
I would put myself in #4 -- I don't have one particular designer. I'm attracted to the style and the quality, and as a result, I'm all over the map with the makers of my bags.

How about you all?

I am a cross between #1 and #2.

I used to be soooo faithful to Piero Guidi....all Piero Guidi all the time! LOL

But now I am looking to fall in love with a brand that makes want to buy more and more pieces to collect, as well as being functional.

For me, a really great bag is not only nice to look at, but is easy to get in/out of, holds all my junk (since I have a lot!), has extra compartments....etc.

1, 2 and 4 - i have a weird philosophy like I love one bag so I want it in all variations but I also like practical bags for everyday. also I have my fav designers and I will stick with those for a while I am sure.

I guess I'm a #1 and a #4. I'm all over the map when it comes to designers, and I like to buy quality bags that will last. I am also drawn to classic pieces that I can wear for years down the road without looking dated. But I may also throw in a trendier piece here and there.

Hmmm. I think #1 and 4 best apply to me. The only thing I can absolutely rule out is #3 - I just don't like seeing "my" bag everywhere! But if it's a really great bag, I might go ahead and get it anyway.

I love certain designers, LV and MJ in particular, but have noticed that I'm becoming more and more interested in the mid-end brands, Kooba, Botkier, HH, etc. They seem to be getting better and better in quality and I like that they're less commonly seen around here.

I think I am a mix of 1 & 2 as well. I tend to only consider certain designers, but within those, only buy items that are functional to my lifestyle... Well, you know - usually. :graucho:

A mix of #1 and 2 is what I am. I love beautiful bags for their own sake but won't necessarily buy them unless they are fairly practical and easy to use. In NYC one gets used to a fast pace and I can't have my bag slowing me down!:smile: However, I really love Marc Jacobs!

Guess I'm a mix between #1 and #4...I like having a varied collection, thus nice quality bags from different designers. More than anything for me, though is a choice of colors. I wear mostly neutrals, so love my bag to be my solid pop of color! (Nothing too crazy, though- my faves right now are my Balenciaga Bordeaux and R. Minkoff Royal Blue...yum)!

Hmm, I would say #1 and #4, I have a mix of designers as I go for the individual bag, and the bag I love varies season to season, but they do have to be usable/practical too -- so nothing too delicate.

A bit of number 1, 2 and 4.

I buy a bag because I like the design and quality of the bag. I like a medium sized/edgy/modern bag thus the CITY!! I have allegiance to Balenciaga right now, used to be loyal to LV but not anymore.

Too poor to ignore number 1! Too old to sign up to number 3! Too easily bored to be number 2, but have favourites who I will check out each season, so I guess I am probably closest to a number 4 and 1 depending on how much is in my bank account!