Whats wrong with my new kelly

hilwa

O.G.
Feb 28, 2009
Hi ladies,

Yesterday I bought a brand new 35 kelly in blue jean w/ phw. The problem started when I removed the clear plastic stickers covering the hardware. When I tried to close the bag the lock got scratched badly by the square hardware opening on the lid because the rim is so sharp. I felt so sorry for my new bag :sad:. Is it normal for all kellys to have this problem or is it a deficiency in my bag. I will take it to the store tommorrow to see what they can do.

The exact same thing happened to my Kelly as well...the turnlock is scratched from the other hardware. I didn't bring it in yet but when in a year or so when I send the bag for spa I'll ask them to look at that as well.

Metal on metal will scratch. It's inevitable and would have happened over time anyway. Other than replacing the hardware, there isn't much that can be done. And if it's replaced, it will get scratched eventually anyhow. Why don't you just try to use and enjoy the bag?

Agree with mistikat! Hardware is supposed to be and will scratch. Just like a watch braclet, it will be scratched. Don't worry about it and just have fun carrying the bag!

Be aware, too, that if you fill your bag with a lot of stuff, you will have to really pull and maneuver the straps over the turnlock to strap it up, so the turnlock will get scratches on its edges. It's especially true with stiffer leathers like box or Vache natural (the Kellys that I have). Wasn't sure if you've used the bag yet, but wanted to give you a heads up. Use your pretty bag and enjoy it. Blue Jean is such a fun color for a Kelly! Like Mistikat said, the metal will inevitably get scratched with use.

Metal on metal will scratch. It's inevitable and would have happened over time anyway. Other than replacing the hardware, there isn't much that can be done. And if it's replaced, it will get scratched eventually anyhow. Why don't you just try to use and enjoy the bag?

:yes:

Our bracelet wrist watches, jewellery and even pots & pans get scratched too.

^
ITA with the ladies here. Initially I was a little concerned to see hairline scratches on my H belt buckle & thinking of sending it in for polishing. However, the SA has wisely advised that its actually pointless since it would eventually get all scratched up again in no time. The same goes for all the expensive watches, they do get scratches on the metal. We just have to enjoy wearing them and don't worry about rushing them off for polishing.

The hardware will scratch. There is nothing to be done about it. If you feel the piece in question is too sharp, see what the craftsman can do about it. He/she may be able to smooth it down some.