What's worth buying in Paris?

TammyD

Rising Star
O.G.
Feb 26, 2006
Hi ladies,

My mom comes back from Paris this week and I wanna ask her to pick up some bags for me cos they're supposed to be a third cheaper there. What are brands and styles I should get, suppose I am looking at 2?

Thank you!

Everything is cheaper there if you don't pay VAT. My hubby bought an LV Bologne there for about 25% less. I would probably get a Gerard Darel since it's relatively difficult to get here. I would probably load up on a lot of other accessories too. Wow, thinking about all this makes me wistful! :love:

Well, since the Gerard Darel bags seem to be so hard to get here, you might want to have her pick up one of those. LV's are supposedly cheaper in Paris too, but I don't know whether you really save much once you pay the customs duties.

Get an Hermés scarf!!!

I was told we don't need to pay VAT in Paris, and no custom duties if you buy less than 5 items. So it probably works out to be 33% less in total.

I like medium to large bags. Any ideas? Celine Clandestine maybe? I am wondering if the Chanel reporter bag is a good buy.

You better buy a Hermes birkin coz' there are more variations and designs of hermes birkin at the paris boutique that you can't get in other countries. My suggestion will be a Jean Paul Gaultier shoulder hermes birkin or maybe a size 35 birkin. Another perfect buy will be a Chanel 2.55 bag in tweed or leather. These two are investments which will last for the rest of your life.

TammyD said:
I was told we don't need to pay VAT in Paris, and no custom duties if you buy less than 5 items. So it probably works out to be 33% less in total.

I like medium to large bags. Any ideas? Celine Clandestine maybe? I am wondering if the Chanel reporter bag is a good buy.

Chanel reporter bag...is quite a good buy but I still prefer Chanel 2.55 handbag. As for Celine clandestine.......it's a very beautiful handbag but the design won't last till fall/winter 2006. You don't want to be carrying an outdated handbag. I've seen Celine runways and sorry to say.....the fall/winter Celine handbags are ugly. Many fashion editors and designers agree with that. It's big but has no distinctive style at all.

Right now for Spring/Summer 2006.....the best buys will be Fendi B Bag, Chanel 2.55 handbag, Hermes Birkin, Louis Vuitton perforated monogram handbag, Celine ostrich boogie bag and Anteprima plastiq handbag.

Those of you who are thinking of buying Dior gaucho handbag......don't buy them now. Wait for fall/winter where Dior gaucho handbags come in exotic leathers with pink accents. More gorgeous.........!!!!!

Those who have extra money to spare.......put aside the money to buy Louis Vuitton vinyl silver monogram alma handbag or the speedy one for the upcoming fall/winter.

TammyD said:

I don't think customs is based on the number of items but rather the value of the items you're buying. I forget what the exact dollar amount was.

Chanel would be a great purchase, I would also say Hermes... how I love them!! :love: :love:

You could always get a Chloe... And there is a discount available at some department stores. You can print it off the Internet and hand it in, to the tune of 10 or 12 percent.

Oh, a Hermes scarf is really worth getting if you have a discount. Be sure to go at the Rue St Honore store. It has the biggest selection.