What's with the stealth releases? (Peanuts)

Sep 23, 2007
Is releasing new collections but not talking about them nor having them on the Coach website the new marketing trend? I'm really puzzled by this one. There is a new group of Peanuts items, some are on Macy's https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/snoopy/Brand/COACH and a few are/were available to order through an SA at Coach if you knew what to look for. I thought for sure some of us just caught them early and they'd announce something yesterday (67th anniversary of the Peanuts comic strip) but no. Items are selling out and it looks like this collection will come and go with no acknowledgement. There are pics/info up in the Snoopy Clubhouse if anyone wants to know more about this one.

Has this happened with other collections? It seems so weird. And frustrating if you'd actually like to get in on it early and throw some money at Coach. :huh:

Hm that sort of tactic seems to work well for those who want the exclusivity of something very limited. By the time news breaks, those who were on the underground pulse of Coach would've heard about it and gotten their hands on it. By the time it comes out in the daylight and others want the same thing, it would've been long sold out or no longer available.

Kinda creates a bit of a snobby vibe, like what Louis Vuitton did with the bright red Supreme collaboration. I didn't very much care for neither brand but was curious about the hype afterward when YouTubers mentioned it. Beforehand, I did one day somehow ended up on the LV site and they had a whole page dedicated to it. As fast as the Supreme product was put up, it was taken down and the rest is history. I guess that sense of "missing out" makes others want to "win" the next time or at least pay closer attention to the brand so the sting of losing that opportunity isn't felt again, thus creating this sense of hyper-focused attention for the brand by consumers. Or it could just turn a handful of people off but at the same time, piquing interest. Myself included lol.

Reactions: stardustgirl
Hm that sort of tactic seems to work well for those who want the exclusivity of something very limited. By the time news breaks, those who were on the underground pulse of Coach would've heard about it and gotten their hands on it. By the time it comes out in the daylight and others want the same thing, it would've been long sold out or no longer available.

Kinda creates a bit of a snobby vibe, like what Louis Vuitton did with the bright red Supreme collaboration. I didn't very much care for neither brand but was curious about the hype afterward when YouTubers mentioned it. Beforehand, I did one day somehow ended up on the LV site and they had a whole page dedicated to it. As fast as the Supreme product was put up, it was taken down and the rest is history. I guess that sense of "missing out" makes others want to "win" the next time or at least pay closer attention to the brand so the sting of losing that opportunity isn't felt again, thus creating this sense of hyper-focused attention for the brand by consumers. Or it could just turn a handful of people off but at the same time, piquing interest. Myself included lol.

I would hardly say the LV Supreme was "stealthy" . It was very hyped up in months before release. The collab was unveiled at the Mens Paris Fashion Week in January 2017. It was released in pop up collab stores in late July/early August as seems to have always been the intent since they were going more for the Supreme crowd who apparently like to line up for this kind of stuff...and customers with close relationships could pre-order product from their SAs ahead of that. You have never been able to actually buy it online, it was too popular to ever hit online stock. Pop-up stores were all publicly announced by LV (and maybe Supreme too). It was always meant to be a limited release, but I mean there was 6 months of advance warning and hype!

I was not interested in Supreme, but I don't see what the problem with doing these sorts of limited releases is - if you are someone on pulse of Supreme or LV yes you are more likely to know what is going on, but what is issue? The whole idea of a limited release is it is limited so not everyone who finds out later will be able to get it. The collab was not a secret. To me it seems bizarre to admit you aren't into either brand, but then quasi-complain about not being actively/directly notified of a collab between those two brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: finer_woman
I guess that sense of "missing out" makes others want to "win" the next time or at least pay closer attention to the brand so the sting of losing that opportunity isn't felt again, thus creating this sense of hyper-focused attention for the brand by consumers. Or it could just turn a handful of people off but at the same time, piquing interest. Myself included lol.
Ugh! I think you're right though. Peanuts is kind of the opposite of snobby, so I hate when Coach does that. I would love my stuff just as much (and buy just as much) if more people carried it because the exclusivity isn't what makes me love it (probably true for most Peanuts fans, probably not true for most bag collectors).

I would hardly say the LV Supreme was "stealthy" . It was very hyped up in months before release. The collab was unveiled at the Mens Paris Fashion Week in January 2017. It was released in pop up collab stores in late July/early August as seems to have always been the intent since they were going more for the Supreme crowd who apparently like to line up for this kind of stuff...and customers with close relationships could pre-order product from their SAs ahead of that. You have never been able to actually buy it online, it was too popular to ever hit online stock. Pop-up stores were all publicly announced by LV (and maybe Supreme too). It was always meant to be a limited release, but I mean there was 6 months of advance warning and hype!

I was not interested in Supreme, but I don't see what the problem with doing these sorts of limited releases is - if you are someone on pulse of Supreme or LV yes you are more likely to know what is going on, but what is issue? The whole idea of a limited release is it is limited so not everyone who finds out later will be able to get it. The collab was not a secret. To me it seems bizarre to admit you aren't into either brand, but then quasi-complain about not being actively/directly notified of a collab between those two brands.

Hopefully it won't be too bizarre if I elaborate. I stand corrected in that LV x Supreme situation, my impression is as someone looking inward at a subculture that's slightly more underground than the mainstream. I'm a layman in comparison to the people that lined up for the Supreme stuff. Compared to that, I'm not that "into" it, far from it compared to those people, and that's just my opinion and self-evaluation. I'm not their target audience and I'm not angry or frustrated that I somehow missed out but I see how it can come across as that without explaining further. I browsed the LV site checking for prices for my mum one day, saw the Supreme product and was like, "Huh, interesting, beautiful red," then moved on.

The hype that I learned way after-the-fact was interesting to me because it cropped up again on some MUA YouTube channels like Jeffree Star. The typical beauty YouTuber does not cross align with Supreme, usually I would think. I'm not complaining I missed out, but do I care in the sense it piqued my interest again after seeing Jeffree Star talk about it? Yes. Just like someone who may be curious as to why everyone is into Game of Thrones, I was curious as to why people were amped up in the LV x Supreme collaboration.

My opinion with people lining up for the stuff is fine, how they spend their time is for them to decide. Someone like myself, deservedly did not need to know where those pop-up shops were occurring. There's nothing wrong with limited edition things and exclusivity, but I do get irritated when people jump on the bandwagon like they're holier than thou and were Supreme fans since 1980 when they clearly weren't (or whenever Supreme was started, IDK) by having something that not even 0.02% of America has or that this stuff shows up on eBay later for 3x the original price. It's about being non-authentic or fake that irritates me and the attitude and aura of superiority that tends to surround it. Or say I was a casual fan of LV (everyone defines those boundaries and being a "fan" differently), and my partner was into skating, but I myself had no idea about the Supreme collection and I wanted to get something nice for their birthday but learned after (when everything is sold out) from Jeffree Star on YouTube that it's gone and that the pop-up shops happened like, "years" ago. I'd be a little bummed but I wouldn't complain, I have no one to blame but myself for not paying attention a little closer. There's always next time. If not an LV x Supreme thing, a Supreme thing. Lesson learned or whatever.

Apologies for hijacking the Coach thread with this LV talk, but I understand the frustration of seeing things on secondary sites like Macy's as opposed to straight from the horse's mouth or this case... the Coach. It would bug me a bit if a re-seller retailer like Macy's can promote the product faster than the original brand deploying on it on their own site.

Reactions: ZSP and ildera5
If I’m not mistaken, these are pieces that were truly made for wholesale. Just like when they made the second round of Disney for wholesale. (FP has access to ordering them for customers, and will not be sold in boutiques. That’s why there was no communication.)

The snoopy items that we have coming out (and there aren't very many as far as I've seen) aren't due to be released until November, and are meant entirely for the holidays - much like a lot of novelty items that will be coming out this year. It's not a matter of being stealthy or neglecting to market the collection, but rather an issue of timing. Stores like Macy's have their own products that the Coach FP stores may never get, and vice versa, so the things that Macy's has already released are likely limited and not the full collection. I'm sure Coach will do plenty of marketing once the release date actually gets closer (in conjunction with the other holiday items), but for now they are prioritizing the Coach Create initiative with the novelty straps and customization options. I don't think they're intentionally neglecting to market it, they just don't want to diminish the focus on a more long-term product marketing campaign for a small collection that won't last for more than a month or so.

Reactions: stardustgirl
The snoopy items that we have coming out (and there aren't very many as far as I've seen) aren't due to be released until November, and are meant entirely for the holidays

Oooh! Thanks! I'll pass that info on to the other Snoopy collectors who've been buzzing about this (we do love our Peanuts!) With pieces showing up near the anniversary of the comic strip, we thought it would tie in with that, but holidays makes sense too. I'll keep stalking the site. :nuts: