What's with the requests to end auctions early?

fabae

O.G.
Jun 10, 2006
I've had several requests from buyers wanting me to end an auction early so they can get the bag with no competition, I guess. However, I've added Buy It Now at the request of a couple people and then I never hear from them again! Why do people request this to begin with? My inclination is to not do it again because it incurs added fees, and for what? The bag doesn't sell. Why not just stick with an auction? I've just gotten another request. What are your thoughts here?

I ask them if they are positive they want it right now. If they answer back then I do it . I have never had a problem. Some people just want an item right away to wear for the weekend or upcoming event. I have done this 3 times this week no problems.

It could be two things- either

A) the buyer REALLY wants the bag (quickly) and is willing to pay perhaps more than it would go for in a regular auction format or

B) they're hoping you're naive and will sell it to them at a low price before the bidding gets high

I have done it in the past without any problems, but I can understand your frustration if you have done it and then no buyer steps up. I am not sure why someone would do that.

I think it's the same mentality as those people who bid and never pay. They are more or less "window-shopping" with no intention of ever buying. People who request a BIN price are probably getting caught up in the fun of looking at all the pretty things for sale, but when it comes time to put up or shut up...they shut up!

Make sure you agree a price before adding the BIN. I had one where I asked if they had considered a BIN and she just added it at way above my budget without agreeing with me first so I walked away

It could also be a way of avoiding being sniped. I've watched a couple of auctions and have seen bid histories where the final bid came in at 6 seconds before the auction is over. That is why I typically don't even look at auctions just BIN listings; not worth it, it's just going to be sniped anyway.

It could be two things- either

A) the buyer REALLY wants the bag (quickly) and is willing to pay perhaps more than it would go for in a regular auction format or

B) they're hoping you're naive and will sell it to them at a low price before the bidding gets high

i have to admit i have done that ValleyO got it right on the money:P

It could also be a way of avoiding being sniped. I've watched a couple of auctions and have seen bid histories where the final bid came in at 6 seconds before the auction is over. That is why I typically don't even look at auctions just BIN listings; not worth it, it's just going to be sniped anyway.

Oddly, though, this is an auction that I have relisted a couple of times. I would think that if someone's been watching they'd know they have a pretty good shot....

Yup, just got one tonight.
I listed a certain item and less than 5 mins later, someone messages me and wants to know if I have a BIN price.

Uh...yeah, please just bid. If I had a BIN I'd have posted it. I rarely ever end auctions early unless it's something I've relisted multiple times with no results.

I have asked for a seller to end an auction early if I really want the item and/or I'm not going to be around for the close of the auction or if I want it for an occasion. Sometimes it's hard to wait!

I also figured that it can't hurt to ask (nicely). I didn't think sellers would be offended by it...