What's with all the fake Gucci on eBay lately?

tallymia

O.G.
Sep 20, 2008
So I was perusing eBay today and comparing some prices (deciding whether I should sell one of my bags), and was SHOCKED at the amount of fakes there!
I've been eBay member for nearly 15 years now, and for awhile they were cracking down on counterfeits...

But I think the problem now is that fake bags have gotten so good that even I wouldn't noticed it unless I was comparing to my own. Especially bad are Dionysus, where nearly half sold are fake! And people are paying nearly $2000 for them :sad:

I also noticed a pattern - a lot of the fake ones are from sellers in Florida, so I assume it's one distributor with multiple accounts... Shame on them for tricking people out of thousands of dollars.

Example, I've seen this bag up close and the detailed embroidery is completely different. Yet someone paid $1900 for it :shocked:

And sellers condition for return is that only if someone from Gucci CORPORATE (not even a store manager), authenticates it. Which is of course impossible!
upload_2017-1-30_23-44-18.png
upload_2017-1-30_23-50-16.png

Makes me SICK, someone paid $3200 for this bad fake :sad::yucky:
Can we please do something to stop this seller?
So far the accounts from Ponte Vedra, Florida I found are anandajewels and do2amood. Every single embroidered Dionysus they sold is sooo bad
upload_2017-1-30_23-53-25.png

upload_2017-1-31_0-1-30.png

Reactions: chanel_hermes_lover
wow some of those sellers have very high feedback rating. esp the anandajewels
i guess positive feedbacks are just not enough and not a guarantee

i think there's more fake gucci around because the latest style are more popular than the previous, and the designs are more appealing to the asians than ever and it's always a good business for the fakes

Reactions: papertiger
wow some of those sellers have very high feedback rating. esp the anandajewels
i guess positive feedbacks are just not enough and not a guarantee

i think there's more fake gucci around because the latest style are more popular than the previous, and the designs are more appealing to the asians than ever and it's always a good business for the fakes

:yes:

I don't. If you're spending that much money, you can clearly afford something authentic from a boutique.
Good point. I sometimes wonder if some of these sellers have fake sales. Like, buy their own bags just to give themselves good feedback. I'm not paying that much for a bag without having it authenticated though. But like you said, at that price I'd rather go to the boutique

Example, I've seen this bag up close and the detailed embroidery is completely different. Yet someone paid $1900 for it :shocked:

And sellers condition for return is that only if someone from Gucci CORPORATE (not even a store manager), authenticates it. Which is of course impossible!
View attachment 3590747
View attachment 3590752

I almost bought the 1st one you have in the picture. I decided not to after examining the photos carefully. I just have this feeling something was not right. What's funny is that I had some email conversation with the seller. She talked about how she got scammed from a buyer. I gave her advice on ways to protect herself from it.

I don't. If you're spending that much money, you can clearly afford something authentic from a boutique.
This is a little harsh and close minded. I'd like to think we are a little nicer to our fellow Gucci lovers.

I can afford whatever I want from a boutique but I choose to save money and buy preloved because I value other things more than handbags. It's like with cars. I let someone else take the depreciation hit and get the like new item someone tires of that I want at a discount.

Plus many buy online because boutiques aren't in their area. For example, I love Dior but don't live within driving distance of one. I get to go when I travel but everyone doesn't have my busy travel schedule. And they may live in a very small town or village with no Gucci retail anywhere close. So they have to buy online. Yes, they could buy on Gucci.com but everyone isn't a fashionista. They may want a bag that is 3 years old that they just heard about that isn't available online anymore.

Or heck, the buyer could simply be a young person trying to do something nice for their mom with money they worked hard and long for. They may not have the life experience to know better but be trying to do a good thing.

So I do feel quite sorry for those who are unknowingly duped. Many people who aren't on TPF don't realize that you should get educated on a model of bag before you buy preloved as a first line of defense against fakes. And, they may not realize they should ALWAYS get preloved bags authenticated by a reputable and knowledgeable authenticator since we lay people don't always know what to look for despite our best efforts.

My venom is saved for the immoral manufacturers & sellers (thieves) who peddle these fakes and the pathetic lowlifes (criminals by association) who knowingly buy fakes. If there was a way to eliminate the activities of these two populations, the counterfeit issue would be solved.