What's with all of the "Inspired" items on eBay?

I don't think it is legal to sell thing fake/replica/inspired on eBay. But then again, eBay really doesn't patrol this problem much, so I can see why it is rampant. I think if enough of us report the listing, eBay might take it down, but don't depend on eBay to do its due diligence.

If the items don't have the Cartier brand anywhere on the item or packaging, are they still considered counterfeit?
(I don't know Cartier so I don't know the terminology.) Isn't that slotted screw-like thing on the jewelry a Cartier hallmark?

ETA: If the "inspired" items don't have Cartier engravings on them, then perhaps they're truly inspired but using "Cartier" in the listings is KWS.

This screenshot is from Cartier's website:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 11.52.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 11.52.20 PM.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 324
(I don't know Cartier so I don't know the terminology.) Isn't that slotted screw-like thing on the jewelry a Cartier hallmark?

ETA: If the "inspired" items don't have Cartier engravings on them, then perhaps they're truly inspired but using "Cartier" in the listings is KWS.

This screenshot is from Cartier's website:

Yeah, I agree about the KWS and image, definitely.

Oh interesting, I just tripped on this:
http://www.thefashionlaw.com/secondary-meaning-that-reminds-me-of-a-cartier-love-bracelet/

The consecutive screw motif is a trademarked design owned by Cartier for any type of jewelry featuring that motif.

That seems pretty clear, then.

Funny how they're never taken down by eBay.

They can be if enough of us care to report the listing.

Do they though? I report everything I see. I think once they actually took something down. I have seen soooo much fake crap that sell for over $100 & the seller even claims their junk is authentic.

One time a bag was soooo fake that I messaged the seller...she said it was "absolutely authentic". Bish, puhleeze...Gucci doesn't make plastic handle bags. Ugh. Whoever bought that bag for 140 bucks is going to get laughed at sporting that around town & for that money? Aw hell no.

I reported the fake ring lady for ya. :smile:

Do they though? I report everything I see. I think once they actually took something down. I have seen soooo much fake crap that sell for over $100 & the seller even claims their junk is authentic.

One time a bag was soooo fake that I messaged the seller...she said it was "absolutely authentic". Bish, puhleeze...Gucci doesn't make plastic handle bags. Ugh. Whoever bought that bag for 140 bucks is going to get laughed at sporting that around town & for that money? Aw hell no.

Same here and it never gets taken down.

I assume if eBay turns their head, it's more money to be made for them.

Yeah, I agree about the KWS and image, definitely.

Oh interesting, I just tripped on this:
http://www.thefashionlaw.com/secondary-meaning-that-reminds-me-of-a-cartier-love-bracelet/

That seems pretty clear, then.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it, LouiseyPeasey! I wonder if the prominent "Michael Kors" on his bracelet sufficiently negates consumer confusion for his bracelets to pass muster.

I didn't look at all of the links here, but most of the "inspired" things that I run into on eBay are flat out counterfeits...

They do, but a lot of us would have to report it. Sometimes all it takes it one report, but from what I can tell (from the Dior subforum) when people get together to report a fake, the listing gets taken down within a couple of hours.

I reported a scarf once as the seller had used my photos, showed ebay my listing and how they were my photos, didn't matter at all, they never took it down. I emailed the seller and she more or less said tough!

They do, but a lot of us would have to report it. Sometimes all it takes it one report, but from what I can tell (from the Dior subforum) when people get together to report a fake, the listing gets taken down within a couple of hours.

I wish more people would get together & report thieves that sell fakes as "vintage or authentic". Drives me insane.