What's up with dressing rooms WITHOUT mirrors??

^^Mzvtec, I hear ya! I never shop at Kookai anymore because of this, esp the Chaddy one! Where one of the mirrors is is just where the huge window is to the outside and all the shoppers, etc, walking by can see when u check yourself out! NICE!

jenna said:
I've experienced that before as well. I definitely think they use slimming mirrors at certain clothing stores. Those 3-way mirrors at Ann Taylor are quite deceptive...

I hate those slimming mirrors. They mislead you into thinking you look fabulous in everything. BCBG is notorious for those mirrors.

As for why the mirrors are outside, I'm pretty sure it's because they want the SAs to put pressure on you to buy. You can't use the standard excuse "it just didn't fit" just to get out of not buying something.

I used to work in a shop that did that and the reasoning behind it is so that it forces you to come out of the changing room and the sales assistant can flatter you to your hearts content- thus making you buy it??!!!?? whats up with that!

Also, its so the SA's can suggest other things that go with it, shoes etc etc thus making you spend more money!!!!

Its all about the greedy shops!!

I've never seen this. Everywhere I've been has mirrors in the dressing rooms AND in the hallway. Maybe they're afraid you're going to stuff a skirt in the bikini you're trying on.
Okay, I realize shoplifting is a real and serious problem, but not having mirrors in the dressing rooms is not going to make it happen any less. It could be they are cutting costs as full length mirrors can be expensive.
Kate

Lucy said:
I used to work in a shop that did that and the reasoning behind it is so that it forces you to come out of the changing room and the sales assistant can flatter you to your hearts content- thus making you buy it??!!!?? whats up with that!

Also, its so the SA's can suggest other things that go with it, shoes etc etc thus making you spend more money!!!!

That's not entirely true. When I was an SA, i told the truth and sometimes, it wasn't necessarily flattering. I think some consumers want to try different looks so they go shopping... but if they just stay in the fitting room, how can they achieve the look they're going for.. That's what SAs are for... to help a consumer achieve the look. Sometimes an outfit can be SOOOO off, but all they need is a different top, an accessory to make it soooo HOT! Get it? Also, sometimes when my customers would come out and look in the mirror, other SAs might even have different suggestions to complete the look that are better than mine.

It's all about full exposure to all products a store has and I do not think there is anything wrong w/ that.. it's better to achieve a complete look within one store, than to go all over the place.

However, w/ the bikinis, I definitely think there should be mirrors inside, while trying those on. It's not like the store only allows women in, there can be some pervert guy in the store just lurking around... ewwwww :yucky:

I absolutely hate when stores don't have dressing rooms with mirrors or the mirrors aren't clean!:yucky: I mean, its like they're expecting us to buy their product without being able to see what we look like so they just make more money!

And the whole thing about SA's flattering you is just so stupid- when you come out of the curtain and they go "Ooo that top looks great on you!" and then you go back in and someone else comes out and the SA goes"That skirt looks great on you". That just annoys me- I mean, can't they be a little more creative?!

I wish that companies thought more about customer satisfaction then about money

Lucy said:

But then they'd take it home and realize it looks ridiculous and wind up returning it anyway!

When I worked as a Sales Associate, I was never a butt kisser. I'd tell someone if something doesn't work. But I wasn't harsh, so it wasn't like, "That sucks on you!" What I'd say is, "That's cute (in a sort of unsure voice) but you know what might be better?"

Which BCBG store was this? The one I usually shop at has mirrors.. I'd be really ticked off if they didn't!! Nobody wants to put on an ugly outfit and strut out in front of a ton of people!

Lucy said:

I agree with this comment. I have work many years in retail and the reasoning has always been that if there's no mirrors in the fitting, it forces the customer to come out so that SA can help them better with fit, style, accessories etc.... etc

BagHound said:
Chico's does that. No mirrors in the dressing room. I swear it's so you have to come out so they can tell you how fab you look so you are more likely to buy.

YES....that place CREEPS me out. The first time I went, I was with my mom and this insanely perky SA like walked around with us the whole time we were in there and was like, suggesting things. I appreciated that she was attentive and helpful, but when I go shopping, I am there to unwind too, chat with my mom if we are together (as a way to bond or whatever), and just enjoy the experience of going at my own pace.

Well, when I went in the dressing room, there were no mirrors and I asked the SA why and she said delightfully, "Oh so we can all see you! How beautiful you are!" Very nice, but CREEPY. There was no private hall either. You walked out of the room and you were there IN the store with people around you shopping.

I ended up buying a pair of jeans, some dress pants, and four tops (because they honestly were cute and I don't know, maybe her brainwashing worked lol) and paid with a check that made it obvious what company I work for and she got all stalkerish and was like OMG my ex husband worked there do you know so in so blah blah let me take your name and email down so I can send you some EXTRA special savings blah blah. She didn't just enter it in a computer, she wrote it down on a notepad she had on her desk and exclaimed "We would LOOOOOOVE to see you in here as much as posssssible Ms.____!!!!" *shakes* I know she probably meant well, and I should be flattered I guess, but it was just so overwhelming!

i bet they do it so that they can make a sale
if u had a mirror inside u'd probably spend all ur time inside deciding
but if u had to come out they could use their persuasive power on u