What's the Worst book you've ever read?

Toto too

O.G.
Nov 21, 2006
Okay, I'm loving the most favorite book thread, so I had to start a least favorite thread.

Mine are:

Moby Dick -- if you ever have trouble sleeping, try this. A page and a half, max, and you will be out.

The Case of the Careless Kitten, Erle Stanley Gardner. What a stupid book, it was fine until the very end. It was almost as if he had to wrap up the story in five minutes, and it had such a stupid ending. I felt like I had wasted my time reading it.

I've read a lot of stupid books, but these two stand out in my memory. I'm sure I'll think of some more.

So, what's the worst book you've ever read?

The Great Expectations ... within the first 2 pages, you are introduced to 300 characters and by the 5th page, you can't remember who they are anymore. So you try to pretend that 10 of those characters are actually 1 character and then the plot gets way too funny. :P

The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand-Ugh. I had to read this book for a philosophy class and I hated it with a passion. I couldn't get into her writing style, plus the book came off as waaaayyy to preachy. Her philosophies were way to radical for my taste.

The Iliad. I love the storyline, but I just could not for the life of me bring myself to keep on reading the actual translations. I kept on getting lost in the long catalogues of items on ships, family lines, etc. I gave up and just read coles notes instead.

omg ditto on the illiad..

Learning curves - Gemma townley..
i'm sorry but this book has got to be the worst on my bookshelf right now.

And i'm probably the only one here, but I did not enjoy the style of the author that wrote the devil loves prada.. Lauren W.. I believe

A Body To Die For by Kate White.

I don't normally read murder mysteries, but the cover looked interesting (and it was on the bargain book shelves).

The story takes place in a New England inn and spa about a murder of one of the inn's female therapists.

The narrator was the one who discovered the murder. The therapist was wrapped in silver Mylar paper and narrator remarked that the set-up made the therapist "look like a mummy - a mummy from outer space".

. . . . Yeah, after that I just gave up on the book. (But not before I skipped ahead to find out who the killer was.)

I ended up leaving the book in the lobby of my apartment.

Oh god... Petals in the Wind by Virginia Andrews. I have a real issue with unnecessary exclamation marks (although tPF brings out the worst in me sometimes LOL) and this book is full of them. The structure is weird and the characters sound like a 14 year old girl relaying a story about her day: "I screamed!" "Bart lunged at me! I stared him down with my bright blue eyes full of passion and fire!" *shakes head*