what's the truth about wearing the speeyd on a strap?

Sabine

O.G.
Apr 12, 2006
I have been reading that wearing a strap on your speedy can tear the handles and SA's advise against wearing it. This doesn't seem logical to me. It doubles the stress on the straps, so double the weight. I haven't heard people tell the strap toar away wearing the bag without the strap and much in it. If the neverfull can hold alot of weight the speedy should aswell. What do you think, is i a way of Vuitton to stop you from adding something to a design just like they refuse to sell luggage tags if you don't have a keepall?

it's kinda heavy when wearing speedy with straps
i usually use it as top handles though i have the straps attached on it
another reason which i used it as top handles , i baby my speedy 35 cos i usually stuffed everything it,i afraid it will really spoil the handles..

Maybe carrying the Speedy with straps is something that LV considers as "blasphemous?" They don't want to see this bag, which is really their most iconic and recognised bag, carried in a way that is completely not how they envisioned this bag to be carried. Like if you imagine Audrey Hepburn carrying her famous mono Speedy with the straps instead of handheld...seems odd doesn't it? I don't know...I'm one of those people who WOULD carry this bag with the strap so I guess to each their own.

I'm in the *hate the Speedy worn with a strap* camp.....:nono: :P

If you want a shoulder bag, get a shoulder bag.
If you want a shoulder/hand-held, there are options specifically designed for dual use.
If you want a hand-held, then get a hand-held bag.

Speedy worn with a Strap; it not a matter of sticking a strap on it and viola, I'm wearing it on my shoulder. It's all about proportions and overall style. It is not designed to do this. Looks tacky & cheap. Nuff said!

I don't like straps on Speedys either, unless it's the Idylle Speedy which is designed with a strap attached to the sides of the bag. The concern with a strap on a Speedy is not really the handles, it's the hardware on the handles. The hardware is not designed to handle the weight of the bag worn with a strap.

Louis Vuitton advises people not to add a strap to the Speedy, because over time the shape of the bag will change/warp. The reason why this happens is because there are no rings to attach a strap to. I would NOT add a strap to a Speedy, if you want your bag to last. Louis Vuitton is also against it, because they lose money on other bags that do have straps. Why would Louis Vuitton tell you to add a strap to a bag, when they sell bags that have straps or made to use straps?

Well i am not asking about looks. I dont really care preople Find the need to express how tacky It looks. I only love the damier speedy and no otter Vuitton. I am wondering if It Will really damage the bag, It seems unlikely. I would also just use the strap once in à while

Well i am not asking about looks. I dont really care preople Find the need to express how tacky It looks. I only love the damier speedy and no otter Vuitton. I am wondering if It Will really damage the bag, It seems unlikely. I would also just use the strap once in à while

I have carried all of my speedys with straps for many, many years. Never a problem. LV tracked down this strap for my damier bag, and it matches perfectly.

Attachments

• damierstrap2.jpg
    damierstrap2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 161
Personally I don't think it looks very nice. The Speedy is meant to be a handheld bag. Now of course if I had the strap I would mostly let it dangle and then when I needed "hands free" I would use it.

Oh Sabine,
The Damier is a beautiful line, but I give you a couple of years before the other lines make you fall in LVoe!!!! I used to be a Monogram Canvas only gal myself until I branched out to the Idylle and the Damier, not I'm LV OBsessed!!! :P

I'm in the *hate the Speedy worn with a strap* camp.....:nono: :P

If you want a shoulder bag, get a shoulder bag.
If you want a shoulder/hand-held, there are options specifically designed for dual use.
If you want a hand-held, then get a hand-held bag.

Speedy worn with a Strap; it not a matter of sticking a strap on it and viola, I'm wearing it on my shoulder. It's all about proportions and overall style. It is not designed to do this. Looks tacky & cheap. Nuff said!

I love this!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!

And I've never heard of them stopping people from buying luggage tags if you don't own a keepall? I bought one before I owned a keepall...

I'd love to see photos of speedys with a strap on :smile: I'm also curious how they look and how they feel on a strap?

I don't have any mod pics with the straps, but I find the strap to be very handy when shopping, etc when I need my hands free for a while. Since the speedy does not have longer handles like my Birkins, I cannot fit it on my forearm when necessary, and that is when the strap is very convenient.