Whats the standard procedure for this? (Feedback question)

leothelnss

buried in bags
O.G.
Jan 31, 2008
Item ends Sept 22. I pay immediately.
Oct 1st I ask if the item has shipped, as it was supposed to arrive in 2-5 days and most sellers ship promptly.
Oct 4th seller responds saying, "The item was shipped early last week and should get there any day now."
Oct 7th, over 2 weeks after the auction ended I ask again, "May I ask what day you shipped it? Do you have a tracking number? Thanks"
Seller didn't respond.
Today I recieve the item which was sent via media mail (2-9 days) and not first class as stated in the auction. I've also apparantly been charged $7 more than what it cost to ship the item (about $3).
And, it was shipped Sept 30th, the same week in which the seller sent me that message saying it was sent out early the week before... So they lied, pretty much.
Should I message the seller and ask for a partial refund for shipping? I'm also not sure what kind of feedback I should leave, if any. I'm not too pleased, but I want to give the seller a chance to explain before I ding their feedback with a neutral.
Any suggestions on what to message them with?

nyhockeymom91

Nov 8, 2006
wow..so sorry that happened to you..i'm waiting a week on an ebay item too..a pin so not a large $ item but it's anoying when there is no communication back from the seller.
I think your in the right to ask for a refund on shipping since they didn't ship the way they said they said they would..I would point that out to them in my message that you paid $$$ based on first class shipping and the item was shipped media mail...I'd ding them on stars for shipping time and communication.

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
^^^ I totally agree.

This just happened to me as a buyer and when I inquired about shipping/tracking it took forever to get the information.

Then I decided to leave a neutral instead of a negative (which I should have left after they yelled in email) and they tried to leave me negative feedback.

It was actually the exact same timeframe for mine as well, paid 9/22 they shipped 10/1 and I got it 10/3.

I honestly say don't bother asking for a refund, but leave them a negative/neutral and ding their stars. She mailed outside the 7-day requirement per Paypal and eBay.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2007
sellers should not be blamed for how long it takes the postal system to deliver.....I have had to wait for up to 3 weeks for a parcel from USA to me in Canada.....and the postal rates are expensive....I have learned to be more patient when it comes to buying items, and would hope that buyers would also....I always communicate fully with any buyers....definately leave a positive and ignore the time it took to get to you. If you are happy with what you receive.....leave a positive....
(Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians this weekend).....

LouiseyPeasey

naff
O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
^ I don't think she's blaming the seller for the postal service, but rather for not being honest about when it was shipped, and for selecting a slower/cheaper method than the seller had promised and the buyer had paid for. If an item takes 3 weeks to arrive, but the seller shipped it on the date they told me, and by the method I paid for, then it's fine, not the seller's fault.

neatfreak

O.G.
Mar 21, 2008
^ I don't think she's blaming the seller for the postal service, but rather for not being honest about when it was shipped, and for selecting a slower/cheaper method than the seller had promised and the buyer had paid for. If an item takes 3 weeks to arrive, but the seller shipped it on the date they told me, and by the method I paid for, then it's fine, not the seller's fault.

Agreed. This is a different situation than the USPS just taking their time.

leothelnss

buried in bags
O.G.
Jan 31, 2008
coachfreak- it's funny cause I read through your thread and just kinda shook my head. Same situation here, pretty much! Your seller sounds a lot nastier, though... Then again, if I do send this seller a message about this they might get nasty too. Who knows..
and menopausalmama- the amount of time it took wouldn't have been an issue if the seller had shipped the item the way the auction said they would. Though that's not my main concern, I'm mostly disappointed that they were dishonest with me and didn't even offer a partial refund for their severe shipping overage.
If they had told me it would be cheaper to send another way, I would have been fine with it and we could negotiate a partial refund or refund of the difference. If they had told me they shipped Oct 1st, I would have been fine with it. At least I would have known it was on it's way and the real time frame to expect it's arrival.

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
leothelnss, what was the item? Was it eligible for Media Mail? USPS regs are very strict on that. We've seen a lot of stories of the buyer being charged Postage Due for ineligible items being shipped MM.

Feel free to request a refund of the shipping difference, but don't expect to get it.

In your case, I'd leave a Neutral and ding the shipping and communications stars as a '1'.