What's the SAFEST BBag to purchase?

chicago.style

Street Style Blogger
Jul 7, 2010
Hi Ladies,

I am looking to buy another BBag in the next couple of months, but don't want to worry about the colors fading. I absolutely LOVE the way they look, the design, the leather, etc. but I did buy a blue one that faded terribly. I need help picking out a style and color, so when the time comes I can walk into Neiman Marcus and know exactly what I'm looking for! I love big bags, so maybe I should consider purchasing a weekender. My main concern is quality and a color that is going to age well.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Blues have a tendency to fade. I had a 2008 Sky Blue Day that sat in my closet and faded before its first use. Needless to say, it went back. I've heard about some of the pinks fading as well. So I have to surmise that blue-toned colors (purple, pink, blue, and possibly a blue-based red) may not hold up as well. My Tomato Day is holding up beautifully--I think it's because it is a yellow-based color.

I'm sure others far more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

The obvious / safest colour is probably black, it's classic & tends to wear well. But you may want to consider Anthracite....or even wait & see what colours are released later in the year for the pre-season 2011 S/S...??????....but above all else have fun choosing your next special bag! Good luck :biggrin:

I'd go with Anthracite. I think it's neutral and since it has a charcoal/black/gray tone, even though it's fading, I think the effect's gonna be better than any other color.

Well, I'm not really into black so I'd say Anthracite. :smile:

I would suggest a black bag that you can examine before buying, or gray or anthracite, so it won't matter if the color lightens a bit.

I've heard the 2010s have shown up with a deep dark black. Good luck!

^^^
Agree with Conni618. Also, grietje is on to something. I think they all fade but some more than others. Grey would be the safest, imo. It will probably look better even. But I love that the bubblegum pink I have has faded. I like it better and it is an even fade.

I'm very surprised to hear about the colour fadeouts . These are not cheapo bags. Shouldn't Bal at least ensure the colour stays? Sure some might argue that Bal fans go for vintage , distressed leather look or this is part & parcel, but the news about some colours fading is very surprising and worries me nonetheless.

Can anyone provide some before fading and after fading shots , so that we have an idea of the extent of these fadeouts?

Thanks for the pix in advance...

Hi there i'm new to Bal also and am concerned about the fading issues. I'm at Neimans and I want to get a black rh city what year is better? They have a f/w 2009 smooth thicker leather or a f/w 2010 wrinkly thinner leather. Any advice? I like the 2009 but am bummed it's from last year.

Hi there i'm new to Bal also and am concerned about the fading issues. I'm at Neimans and I want to get a black rh city what year is better? They have a f/w 2009 smooth thicker leather or a f/w 2010 wrinkly thinner leather. Any advice? I like the 2009 but am bummed it's from last year.

Honestly, you should buy the one you like the best. If the 2009 has the leather you prefer, it really doesn't matter that it's from 2009 IMO.

I recently just got a Black RH City http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/my-perfect-1st-balenciaga-bag-609921.html and although it was from the 2009 F/W and was a little bummed at first, I got over it pretty quickly because I wanted a thick, smooth and smooshy leather and the 2010 bags I have seen are a little on the dry side and wrinkly for me. Go for the leather that you want and don't look at the year. We all have our leather preferences. :smile:

I'm very surprised to hear about the colour fadeouts . These are not cheapo bags. Shouldn't Bal at least ensure the colour stays? Sure some might argue that Bal fans go for vintage , distressed leather look or this is part & parcel, but the news about some colours fading is very surprising and worries me nonetheless.

Can anyone provide some before fading and after fading shots , so that we have an idea of the extent of these fadeouts?

Thanks for the pix in advance...

I'm pretty sure the fading issue is part and parcel of their dying process. Vegetable dyes create a very translucent color that glows - a very beautiful effect, but also not exactly the most durable. They do tend to fade - particularly when exposed to sunlight. So, yes, they probably could fix the fading issue, but they would have to change their dying process, and I would not be happy about that at all.

I love black, so my choice would be a black bal! ALL the 2010 blacks that I've seen in store lately have been incredibly soft and wrinkly and smooshy AND jet black!

Blues have a tendency to fade. I had a 2008 Sky Blue Day that sat in my closet and faded before its first use. Needless to say, it went back. I've heard about some of the pinks fading as well. So I have to surmise that blue-toned colors (purple, pink, blue, and possibly a blue-based red) may not hold up as well. My Tomato Day is holding up beautifully--I think it's because it is a yellow-based color.

I'm sure others far more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

I think you're right in your analysis regarding blue-toned colours fading more than yellow-based colours. I have a sky blue hobo that faded horribly and a sapphire city that's starting to fade at the corners....while my Anthra Besace and Ruby Day are still gorgeous! Would you know if Ruby is a yellow based red? I think Anthra fades a bit but the way it fades is much more even and would still look good in the long run. I'd go for Anthra as the safest choice then.

Btw, I've read numerous threads of black bags turning green as they fade so it seems that black isn't such a safe colour after all.