What's the longevity of Nordstrom/Bloomingdales fine jewelry brands (Ippolita, Roberto Coin)?

jjjlove

O.G.
Oct 26, 2010
Was wondering what you all thought (or in your experience over the years) has been the longevity and brand value of fine jewelry brands sold at Nordstrom/Saks/Bloomies/NM (such as Marco Bicego, Ippolita, Roberto Coin, John Hardy, David Yurman, etc.)? Not including the old jewelry houses like Cartier that have been around for over 100 years.

I remember back in 2008ish, Nordstrom used to carry brands like Lois Hill, Lori Bonn, and they had pretty good resale value at the time and a big fan base. Now it seems the department stores have dropped those brands and there's not much of a market for them. $300 Lori Bonn earrings that you could resell for at least $120 on ebay back then if you got tired of it, nowadays goes for $40 or less.

Lori Bonn started in 1991, so looks like it lost popularity after 25-30 years. Ippolita and Roberto Coin both started around 1996/1999... so will they meet the same fate in 10 years as Lori Bonn? When I was looking at diamond/gold pieces by Ippolita and Roberto Coin, I was thinking I wanted to spend money on things that will be able to at least hold their value decently. I know people say just get things that you like, but it'd like to think the brand will still be around in 10 years and not become worthless aside from base materials.

Are there high-end jewelry brands you really liked that everyone forgot about? Will most of those brands run their course within tens or 20 years? Seems like the only ones that have stuck around are a small handful (Tiffany, Van Cleef, Cartier).

Was wondering what you all thought (or in your experience over the years) has been the longevity and brand value of fine jewelry brands sold at Nordstrom/Saks/Bloomies/NM (such as Marco Bicego, Ippolita, Roberto Coin, John Hardy, David Yurman, etc.)? Not including the old jewelry houses like Cartier that have been around for over 100 years.

I remember back in 2008ish, Nordstrom used to carry brands like Lois Hill, Lori Bonn, and they had pretty good resale value at the time and a big fan base. Now it seems the department stores have dropped those brands and there's not much of a market for them. $300 Lori Bonn earrings that you could resell for at least $120 on ebay back then if you got tired of it, nowadays goes for $40 or less.

Lori Bonn started in 1991, so looks like it lost popularity after 25-30 years. Ippolita and Roberto Coin both started around 1996/1999... so will they meet the same fate in 10 years as Lori Bonn? When I was looking at diamond/gold pieces by Ippolita and Roberto Coin, I was thinking I wanted to spend money on things that will be able to at least hold their value decently. I know people say just get things that you like, but it'd like to think the brand will still be around in 10 years and not become worthless aside from base materials.

Are there high-end jewelry brands you really liked that everyone forgot about? Will most of those brands run their course within tens or 20 years? Seems like the only ones that have stuck around are a small handful (Tiffany, Van Cleef, Cartier).

My Mom has been buying Ippolita for years and all of her pieces still look fantastic.

I see a lot of replies endorsing Ippolita! Seems like a quality durable brand.

Was wondering if people had the same experiences with Roberto Coin? Or more quality issues there? I did see a few threads about people saying diamonds fell out or bracelets breaking.

I see a lot of replies endorsing Ippolita! Seems like a quality durable brand.

Was wondering if people had the same experiences with Roberto Coin? Or more quality issues there? I did see a few threads about people saying diamonds fell out or bracelets breaking.
As far as Roberto Coin, I have a pair of 18k gold hoop earrings and a necklace from his Fifth Season line, which is sterling silver. Both pieces have held up just fine. I can't speak for anything else.

Reactions: jjjlove
Do you really buy jewelry based on the resale value? That really never entered into my decision making process...not with purses either. Of course, that is just the way I do it...

Yeah it's at least part of the decision, I realized I had some pieces that were popular brands back in the day but have died out lately, some that I didn't end up wearing much and it just felt like throwing away money. Sometimes it's hard to say when you buy it whether you'll end up wearing it a lot, so I wanted to be more responsible about it and not as wasteful.

Reactions: sweetiepie2209
Yeah it's at least part of the decision, I realized I had some pieces that were popular brands back in the day but have died out lately, some that I didn't end up wearing much and it just felt like throwing away money. Sometimes it's hard to say when you buy it whether you'll end up wearing it a lot, so I wanted to be more responsible about it and not as wasteful.

Hi! If you buy jewelry based on resale, I would suggest you stay with luxury brands such as Tiffany, VCA, or Cartier.

The others listed here are mid tier, and really.,. it’s mall department store jewelry with a brand name. Resale value is low. Pandora is a great example... a flash in the pan. It’s crashing now and trying to get back it’s clientele. And Kwiat used to be popular (sold Nordstrom and Saks) but no longer and now you can get it at discount stores.

I would stick with a luxury brand. I personally have seen some items I love from Kwiat and Roberto Coin, but I did not purchase as I wanted to stay with a luxury brand. That was more important to me. Shallow? Perhaps, but I love knowing I have a luxury branded piece. I’d rather have a few of those than a ton of Roberto Coin. If you like John Hardy and wear silver, I love Tiffany’s silver pieces. I like the Peretti line, she has a bold Bone Cuff... a classic.

Hope this helps.

Many would consider Roberto Coin, David Yurman and Ippolita in the luxury category. They all offer some high-end, beautiful silver, gold and diamond items. Personally I prefer to own a wide range of jewelry designers. The jewelry world would be a very dull place IMO if we all owned the same Cartier Love bracelets, Return to Tiffany tag bracelets and VCA Alhambra pendants. :rolleyes: