What's The Kookiest Belief You Or Someone Held?

SkylightTonight

Shub Niggurath
Dec 4, 2011
One day, when I was still a kid, I asked mum why the power was out. She said "because the weather was bad someone may have skidded off the road and into a power poll". Anyway, into my adulthood I never challenged this belief. One day the power was out and I said to my then boyfriend that someone must have driven into a power poll. He said it was because of rain and dust in the power lines and lightning strikes shorting the power. He said "so you thought everytime the weather gets bad people start driving into power poles?" I realise it was a pretty silly belief now. :blush:

Here are some others:

A man my dad worked with had knee problems. My dad saw the man rubbing his knee one day and asked if he was alright. The man said "yeah, I don't eat enough butter". He thought butter would lubricate his knee joints.:lolots:

Also, as a child my friend thought the revolving bucket they have in front of KFC stores had chicken in them.

This is a bit different, but a woman my mum worked with asked her if horses lay eggs.

I thought my wind pipe was an actual pipe, just floating in my throat. When I was 4/5 year old, I swallowed a penny and I was kind of choking on it. I thought it was cause the penny was stuck balancing on the pipe.

To this day, I think people from Canada and Australia are aliens.

I grew up in an extremely rural area, and our water came from a well. When our power would go out, obviously the well pumps (electric) wouldn't work, so we wouldn't have water. So, I was always raised "power outage = no water." Evidently this stuck with me.

For some odd reason, I never challenged this belief, even though I have lived in the city now, with city water, for nearly 20 years. About 2 years ago our power went out at home and my husband went to use the restroom, and I yelled something about not having water. He was all, "Uh... what?" Yup, in my mind, no power still equaled no water. He had to explain to me that city power & water doesn't work that way, and of course immediately I had a DUH moment. :lol:

When I was a little kid I thought pregnant women had watermelons in their stomachs from swallowing watermelon seeds. I was very careful not to swallow watermelon seeds because of it.

When I was a child, I thought that the songs played on the radio were sung live. I thought, if you drove by a radio station, you would see all the musical acts lined up outside... waiting their turn.

I grew up in an extremely rural area, and our water came from a well. When our power would go out, obviously the well pumps (electric) wouldn't work, so we wouldn't have water. So, I was always raised "power outage = no water." Evidently this stuck with me.

For some odd reason, I never challenged this belief, even though I have lived in the city now, with city water, for nearly 20 years. About 2 years ago our power went out at home and my husband went to use the restroom, and I yelled something about not having water. He was all, "Uh... what?" Yup, in my mind, no power still equaled no water. He had to explain to me that city power & water doesn't work that way, and of course immediately I had a DUH moment. :lol:

Hahah!! I am the same way! ;) Last year I yelled at my DH not to flush the toilet when.the power was out. He laughed at me for about a week!

When my sister and I were kids we used to think the smurfs were real. We would write notes to them and leave them out for them saying things like "if you're real, meet us by the apple tree out in the back yard at 3:00." And we would go sit by the tree and wait for them, alas they never showed :smile:

Until my uncle told me otherwise, I thought the next line in Rule, Britannia actually was "marmalade and jam" because that's the way my dad would sing it.

My uncle was like, "What? No, it's 'Britannia rules the waves.'

This next one wasn't mine, but it was my cousin's: A little background - my cousins' childhood mall has a glass walkway by the food court.

My brother and I would often go to that mall when we visited them (back when we did the yearly Canada visit while we were still living on Kwajelein).

One of my cousins was scared to death to walk on it because she thought it would break. If we had to go that way in the mall, she'd hug the edge, walking on the side, careful that she's only stepping on supported pieces of glass.

Last edited:
When I was a little kid I thought pregnant women had watermelons in their stomachs from swallowing watermelon seeds. I was very careful not to swallow watermelon seeds because of it.

This is my favorite!

You know how they tend to put Hawaii in a little box next to Alaska at the top of maps of the US? When I was little I thought Hawaii and Alaska were next to each other.

Hahah!! I am the same way! ;) Last year I yelled at my DH not to flush the toilet when.the power was out. He laughed at me for about a week!

I can't believe I'm not the only one! So funny!

When my sister and I were kids we used to think the smurfs were real. We would write notes to them and leave them out for them saying things like "if you're real, meet us by the apple tree out in the back yard at 3:00." And we would go sit by the tree and wait for them, alas they never showed :smile:

:lol: I was obsessed with the Smurfs as a child and would often look for them when I was outside playing.

One time when I was sick as a little kid my Grandpa told me to use warm salt water to help with my sore throat. I thought that he meant to drink the salt water, and for years I drank a few glasses every time I got sick. Of course I ended up feeling even sicker after drinking so much. Eventually sometime in middle school my mom caught me doing this and explained you only gargle with it.

One time when I was sick as a little kid my Grandpa told me to use warm salt water to help with my sore throat. I thought that he meant to drink the salt water, and for years I drank a few glasses every time I got sick. Of course I ended up feeling even sicker after drinking so much. Eventually sometime in middle school my mom caught me doing this and explained you only gargle with it.

HAHAHA; oh you poor thing!! :hugs:

I can't imagine how sick you must have felt