What's the ideal or your top 3 choices of BV bags or accessories to travel with?

shiba_inu

O.G.
Sep 4, 2006
When traveling, which BV bag or bags (or accessories) would you take along? Whether a purse, tote, duffle, wallet, clutch, cosmetic pouch, etc. The one you rely on the most. Or your top 3 picks.

For myself when picking the bag or bags to take along on a trip, I would consider things like purpose of travel, safety in the destination(s), functionality and capacity of the bag, weather and climate, and comfort level when using the bag.

I don't care so much if the bag will coordinate with my outfits, since I usually dress for comfort when traveling on vacation. Whatever is easy to wash, wear, and pack and is comfortable for the destination. Also, I prefer to pack light, so I bring only one everyday purse with me. I am stuck with that one bag for the duration of the trip. I will bring other bags, for hauling my shopping finds, but that's mainly for the airplane. I don't travel much for business, but would like to hear what others choose.

Traveling domestically on vacation, I have taken my Cervo Hobo. I felt comfortable using it, even though it has an open top with a single magnetic closure. Also, much of the traveling was done via car. I probably would not take it abroad, though. When traveling, I am focusing on other things and do not want to have to worry about potential pickpockets or items falling out of my purse. One less distraction or peace of mind makes the vacation more enjoyable. Also, the Cervo Hobo would probably begin to feel very heavy after a full day of walking and sightseeing. With domestic travel, I didn't have to pack extra items in the bag, mostly what I carry on a day to day basis.

When traveling out of the country, I need a bag that can handle the weather, even when I don't know what it will be. It must be secure, so a zipper closure is a must. A slip pocket is okay, to use for information pamphlets and tissue packets. I have the standard basics like a wallet, tissue paper, sunglass case, lip balm, cellphone, etc. in the purse. I need to be able to keep my passport and foreign currency within easy reach, but separated and organized. I was able to use the BV Foldover Wallet to keep my passport and the foreign currencies separated. Except for the coins, which I used a small leather coin purse to put coins I wasn't using at the time. Also, I put things like a cellphone charger, small backup battery, and small purchases in the bag. Days stretch out more and I usually don't return to the hotel until it's time to turn in, so I keep the purse with me the entire day and it may get fuller. Basically, I need a reliable and comfortable bag which is secure, hands free, and won't weigh a ton by the end of the day, even if I load it up with a few goodies or small souvenirs. I don't think a BV bag will make the wearer stand out too much as a tourist, which is good. Maybe some will, but most are understated and logo less. And they are usually lightweight, which is an extra perk.

My picks.
Domestic vacation travel: Cervo Hobo
Any travel: Foldover Wallet (can hold a Passport)

What would you bring when traveling? Some things to consider for a travel bag:
- Business travel
- Domestic vacation travel
- International vacation travel
- Non-casual dinners out / nicer restaurants
- Potential weather changes

When traveling, which BV bag or bags (or accessories) would you take along? Whether a purse, tote, duffle, wallet, clutch, cosmetic pouch, etc. The one you rely on the most. Or your top 3 picks...

How funny you should create this thread, shiba_inu - I've just been contemplating this very thing regarding my upcoming trip to California.

I, too, have decided that my Cervo Hobo (Ms China) will be my travel bag. I briefly contemplated my medium Veneta (Ms Nuvolato Paille) but it only holds my necessities and is not easily shoulder-carry (for me); and while it holds what I carry, it would not hold any extras, and I know from past experience that the Cervo Hobo expands nicely to carry extras yet still travels on my shoulder painlessly.

I will also put my Safran Pillow bag in my carry-on (no suitcases this trip), as she will be very handy for walks and sight-seeing, and probably for dinners out. Ms Safran will be my 'clutch'. :smile:

I do not travel internationally, so what to carry hasn't (and probably won't) come up ...

Life is indeed good in BVette-land; we have all the solutions we need right here! :heart:

This is based on what I own:
Carry-on: Cabat
Daily Use: Pillow
Alternate bag when you need more room: Large Veneta

Both the pillow and veneta zip shut.
I think the Rete tote is the ideal carry-on. When I have an extra $4K lying around, I'll get one. The Cabat is not quite as deep so it can fill up fast.

As for SLGs, I'd just bring what I have.

BV Baby Bag -- my favorite for trips as an evening/dress bag -- small-ish but holds
enough things and that little strap goes on my shoulder. Love these and have a
hard time resisting when colored ones go by. I have noce and nero.
For car travel, I like a black Montaigne with the corners opened up.
Haven't tested a new Pillow yet.
In the "unfaithful to BV" department, I often travel with a Le Sportsac nylon bag,
either black or a leopard print.

I have traveled with my noir cabat & have taken a knot in a color or a novelty. I
find that I cover my bases for during the day as well as the evening having these
bags with me.

I am usually wearing black, taupe or navy so keeping everything as simple
works for me. A white shirt always seems to work well for traveling with
neutral bottom or black.

This really depends on where I am staying. If it is a hotel, I just take a bag that suits the season and a zip around wallet. This all goes in my Le Pilage bag.

If I am staying with a friend, I add a Knot because I feel safe leaving it at the house when we are out for the day.

I don't normally travel with BV but I have been known to bring one back home with me from vacation :graucho:
I have taken my Roma on the plane and I've stashed my Veneta in the suitcase because it packs flat, but I find BV a bit heavy for travel. I cheat on BV and travel with Tods - exclusively with the Pashmy bags.
Like grietje, I too would like to travel with a a Rete tote, as it's high on my wishlist. Perhaps we should hold some kind of telethon for us?
I should note that I generally travel only to warm climates.

But I guess on the topic of the thread:
Rete tote or Cabat for carry-on and/or shopping excursions
Some kind of cross-body for day/sightseeing
A gorgey knot in a bright colour for evenings strolling around St. Tropez :smile:

Last edited:
I travel a lot for biz and for vacations. I almost always carry a BV. Since I tend to coordinate my bags with what I am wearing, I do a lot of planning. I'm a bit crazy because I also change out my wallets. My Cervo hobos and large belly are the most versatile for travel. I carry the cabat only for shorter biz trips in "safer cities." I usually put my BVs into a Herve Chapelier tote when on a plane. I'm with jburgh on knots. I only carry my SO knot when I know my hotel has a safe in the room. When I travel for biz, I am loyal to specific hotel banners (Starwood and Hilton) because my room amenities and security are very predictable. I never check a BV.

If I'm going overseas, I take my pillow bag for the crossbody convenience. I almost always put a Knot in my carryon if I'll be eating out in a nice restaurant. All other trips include a large Veneta, my all-time go to bag. And one of my zip around wallets. My Le Pliage will hold a large Veneta along with other trip necessities so it's also always with me on longer trips.

Packing for trips often puts me in panic mode. But, I've learned to be more organized about it. Also, I've become more at ease about using a BV for travel, so I want to carry one of those, rather than a bag that looks like a travel bag. I am slowly trying not to baby my BVs and instead, enjoy and use them. The advice in the BV forum makes so much sense! :smile:

Thinking about carrying a large Veneta for future trips now, after seeing others' feedback. But also considering something like a Pillow Bag.

How funny you should create this thread, shiba_inu - I've just been contemplating this very thing regarding my upcoming trip to California.

BV Mini Messenger! I love it for travel. I tend to be scatterbrained so the way it compartmentalizes everything for me makes a whole world of difference.

^ Like Shiba, I always carry a large BV foldover wallet when traveling because it is lightweight & can hold so darn much. It becomes my "all in one" -- wallet, cosmetic case, passport holder, holder of little things I pick up along the way.

I don't usually carry BV bags on long trips, but the Veneta hobo works so well on weekend jaunts or day trips.

^ Like Shiba, I always carry a large BV foldover wallet when traveling because it is lightweight & can hold so darn much. It becomes my "all in one" -- wallet, cosmetic case, passport holder, holder of little things I pick up along the way.

I don't usually carry BV bags on long trips, but the Veneta hobo works so well on weekend jaunts or day trips.
What can you fit in the fold over? Can you fit a phone, passport and a lipstick?