What's the Holy Grail bag for City Commuters?

jayls

May 23, 2014
First and foremost I have to say this forum is quite addicting :smile:

So anyway - I live in the outer boroughs of NYC and commute into the city daily via train or express bus for work. I am finally retiring my leather Gucci Horsebit (my most favorite bag ever) after 6 years and have recently purchased a pre-loved LV Neverfull GM because I tend to carry a lot of crap and I prefer not to use multiple bags but I'm just curious what my fellow city commuters are using. I was initially weary about the Neverfull since I felt that it wasn't secure but I guess I'll be keeping the corners folded in.

Last edited:
The LV Neverfull seems to be a good one.
I think you can go to the Vuitton subforum, there are lots of threads about the NF.
Thank you for the suggestion Mariapia - I'll definitely check out some of the Neverfull threads to see how people are keeping theirs organized & secure. I'm also just curious to know if I should consider any other bags that might be good for commuting.

First and foremost I have to say this forum is quite addicting :smile:

So anyway - I live in the outer boroughs of NYC and commute into the city daily via train or express bus for work. I am finally retiring my leather Gucci Horsebit (my most favorite bag ever) after 6 years and have recently purchased a pre-loved LV Neverfull GM because I tend to carry a lot of crap and I prefer not to use multiple bags but I'm just curious what my fellow city commuters are using. I was initially weary about the Neverfull since I felt that it wasn't secure but I guess I'll be keeping the corners folded in.

I live in Queens and also commute into the city via train. My favorite work bags are my LV Mono Totally MM and DE Totally PM. I love all the outside pockets and the zipper closure.

I also have a Mono Neverfull MM, but I am super paranoid about using it on the train because of the open top, even though I put my wallet & keys in the zippered pocket. I even bought a Purse Bling zippered purse organizer for extra pockets & security, but it was difficult to keep the Neverfull cinched with the organizer in it (I probably should have ordered a smaller size.)

I live in Queens and also commute into the city via train. My favorite work bags are my LV Mono Totally MM and DE Totally PM. I love all the outside pockets and the zipper closure.

I also have a Mono Neverfull MM, but I am super paranoid about using it on the train because of the open top, even though I put my wallet & keys in the zippered pocket. I even bought a Purse Bling zippered purse organizer for extra pockets & security, but it was difficult to keep the Neverfull cinched with the organizer in it (I probably should have ordered a smaller size.)
Thanks for the input nyshopaholic - I hadn't thought of the Totally before but I'll have to look into it because as you mentioned having the zipper can definitely make a world of difference with feeling secure. I need to do my research on the threads for the organizer options for the Neverful because I hadn't even thought about how the size can affect cinching.

Up here you see a lot of Lumi Accessories leather bags, especially Supermarket. Other favorites seem to be Mulberry Bayswater - real and fake - plus Longchamp, MK&DKNY totes, fake LV (!!!) and Cambridge Satchel Company bags (mostly on men, though).

I usually have my trusty Lumi Supermarket XL or City Bag in tow, sometimes I mix things up with Adax, Wera Stockholm or Ted Baker. A new favorite has been my Malene Birger Grinolas, which is a Neverfull-style tote. Only it's a bit (a lot) big for the crammed buses and trams I ride every day, so I only carry it if I'm going somewhere straight from work and need a change of clothes or shoes. I might be investing in a new Supermarket XXL in Wine or a custom Longchamp, since those bags can take any amount of abuse and still last years of use. :smile:

Oh interesting Amazona - I hadn't even heard of Lumi before I'll have to check them out. Guess you learn something new everyday :smile:

I do have Longchamp bags but they're the larger travel ones. I had considered the smaller totes but decided against.

I am in NYC too, and though I often use open top totes (making sure that I put my wallet and phone in the zippered inside pocket), the bag that I feel is the most secure is my Mulberry Bayswater. It does get heavy though, when full, particularly for us walkers.

I don't carry a lot so my LV Speedy or similar size in other brands works for me, but it sounds like you want something larger.

I do see a lot of people (Toronto) with the Longchamp Pliage or LV Neverfull bags full of stuff, but very often they have a smaller zip top purse as well.

I'm thinking of an LV Totally for my next bag, now that it comes in DE. I don't like the look of aged vachetta so I didn't buy one when it only came in monogram but I've always liked the style.

Currently using a Balenciaga Velo for commuting in Chicago. I wouldn't call it my HG commuting bag - still searching for that one, but I finally drank the Bal kool-aid.

I am appreciating the zip close, outside pocket, crossbody strap, and lightweight leather. Holds just enough -- more than a Bal City (which was too small for me), so on most days, I can keep to one bag. I do use a second schlep-bag when I have extra heavy loads. The Bal is light enough to wear crossbody during whatever I am doing - (commute, walking, errands, going out...) even when lounging @ outdoor cafe. I can leave it on and hardly feel it, yet it stays secure and ON me vs sitting there in a snatch-able spot, KWIM?

Mine is black w/ classic HW, so it is understated and goes with anything from work to evening to weekend - one off the most effortlessly transitional bags I have ever had (and I have/have had TOO MANY!!!). Not HG yet, but could be a contender!

Last edited:
I'm in London. Luckily I live within walking distance to work now, but when I used to take the Tube when it's crowded, my structured totes (e.g. Givenchy Antigona) got in the way and I didn't like how people would jostle it/me. So I prefer softer crossbody bags with a bit of drape, and I could adjust it to the front of my body to be extra cautious. At the moment I'm liking my Hermes Evelyne. Earlier it was the Mulberry Effie satchel and before that MBMJ Lil Ukita. All have similar functionality.

I use the LV speed bandouliere 40. The zip top makes me feel more secure. The shoulder strap come in 3 parts so you have options as far as cross body, shoulder carrying, and hand held. There is a ton of room inside, and I feel like it is so big there is enough room for everything without becoming a black hole. I can easily carry all of my daily work commuting stuff, gym cloths and extra shoes, or my laptop.

I think you are fine with a neverfull in the city if you have other pouches to keep your things in and you keep those things tethered to the inside hook of you bag. If you look on the lv pochette club forums there are a lot of photos and talk about aftermarket chains. One seller on ebay is rebirthday. They come in different lengths.

Hope that helps.

Oh interesting Amazona - I hadn't even heard of Lumi before I'll have to check them out. Guess you learn something new everyday :smile:

I do have Longchamp bags but they're the larger travel ones. I had considered the smaller totes but decided against.

Lumi is a finnish brand and pretty much under the radar - I love their bags and wallets, such great quality and fun designs. Worth looking into! :smile:

Longchamp does have some great totes in both leather and nylon, my favorites are (apart from the obvious Le Pliage nylon totes) Roseau Heritage and Neo. For a commuter the Neo or LM Cuir would be great.

I'm also from NYC but did the reverse commute- from the city to downtown Brooklyn.

Like Rocket_girl, I would use my Balenciaga Velo when I needed to haul lots of stuff. It's lightweight, has a zipper and is usually worn cross body.
Otherwise, I'd use my Bal City bags.